New post: TAG Heuer Monaco 50th Anniversary Watch 2: 1979-89 Limited Edition

Whoever calls that Ferrari red needs stronger glasses. The gherkin has also been compared to the Painless Wonder. Maybe in dimmed light and after half a bottle of scotch.

I Googled Painless Wonder, are you talking about the man who hammered nails into his head or the painless waxing product?:confused:

:D no
Photo by Jeff Stein:

Monaco50LE_1970s_Paintless_1200.jpg

Don't know who dubbed it but it's Stein's exotic and paint chipped Chronomatic Monaco 1133b.

Don't know who dubbed it but it's Stein's exotic and paint chipped Chronomatic Monaco 1133b.

Right, at least it's more creative than 'Red Devil'... if harder to understand.

'Paintless wonder' is the name given to a number of vintage Heuers where the paint has eroded and disappeared over time. It happens on a number of Monacos and Carreras mainly. It's quite an enigma but ALL the paint somehow disintegrates and leaves behind what you see.
Bear in mind Jeff's originally looked like something this ....
upload_2019-6-28_14-34-55.png

before nature took it's toll. It has been speculated it is due to a fault in the paint batch but I don't think that has ever been clarified. Some of the examples are pretty amazing, I'll see if I can dig some up when I get chance.
It also looks like Jeff himself coined the phrase back in 2007.
S

ps and this is apparently the look TH were going for with the '70s Monaco!;)

'Paintless wonder' is the name given to a number of vintage Heuers where the paint has eroded and disappeared over time. It happens on a number of Monacos and Carreras mainly. It's quite an enigma but ALL the paint somehow disintegrates and leaves behind what you see.
Bear in mind Jeff's originally looked like something this ....
upload_2019-6-28_14-34-55.png

before nature took it's toll. It has been speculated it is due to a fault in the paint batch but I don't think that has ever been clarified. Some of the examples are pretty amazing, I'll see if I can dig some up when I get chance.
It also looks like Jeff himself coined the phrase back in 2007.
S

ps and this is apparently the look TH were going for with the '70s Monaco!;)

Oh, you mean it turned gherkin green! :eek:

Maybe it was like the painting hidden under the painting. Yucky green was fashionable in this period so they made them so those awful metallic blue dials gave way to the stunning colour underneath? Yes?:cool:

Maybe it was like the painting hidden under the painting. Yucky green was fashionable in this period so they made them so those awful metallic blue dials gave way to the stunning colour underneath? Yes?:cool:

Cunning, see those Heuer chaps were actually geniuses, not shoddy painters at all!:D

You wait til next time somebody tells me Heuer is better than TAG Heuer.
At least my blue TAG Heuer Monaco won't turn green! Hahaha...:thumbsup:

Can’t wait for the anniversary gherkin to turn into a beautiful blue

Maybe because the Brazilian flag is green???? The only reason I can think of.
Green and yellow flag! This is what I thought. But I also see the problem with that view. Not to mention that TH has its official Senna watches.
I have enjoyed the 'painless wonder' discussion very much, btw :) !
Maybe we should be patient and wait for the other LEs in order to have an integrated concept of labeling.
Or call them 6979, 7989, 8999, 9909, 0919?

Green and yellow flag! This is what I thought. But I also see the problem with that view. Not to mention that TH has its official Senna watches. I have enjoyed the 'painless wonder' discussion very much, btw :) !

It was hard work!

Maybe we should be patient and wait for the other LEs in order to have an integrated concept of labeling.

Yes, that's another area where the F1 driver concept falls flat on it's face.

Or call them 6979, 7989, 8999, 9909, 0919?

Let's not, eh.

If we're going to be completely silly about it lets call it the 'Crimson Idol'.:whistling:

It was hard work!

Yes, that's another area where the F1 driver concept falls flat on it's face.

Let's not, eh.

If we're going to be completely silly about it lets call it the 'Crimson Idol'.:whistling:
How about Crimson Ghost - seeing as how no-one can apparently get one...