New 2024 TAG Heuer Aquaracer 300

That's right, butter them up before your interview comes out
Absolutely. You can’t beat an open and honest response, which I hope people would take in the spirit it’s meant, just like above.

hell no! Only think I like to new is my car oddly & trainers.

watches, jeans, boots all better with a bit of patina.

But Rob you don’t even get your dive watches wet.

I think the patina it acquires while you use something is part of the transition from ‘thing’ to ‘your thing’.

My watches, bikes, tools all acquire it over use and it adds to their character. I’ve got great memories of wearing my original AR around the world surfing, snowboarding, bike riding, in meetings and on nights out. Along the way I took a chunk out of the case on a door jamb when I was hungover to hell at a client site and walked into a door, rough sanded one of the lugs on a beach when I went through the rinse cycle off Biarritz and one of the numbers fell off the bezel when I forgot I had it in and wore it mtbing. To anyone else, it’s a knackered 20yo quartz tag. To me it’s a lot of great memories.

IMG_7239.jpeg

By comparison the mint black bay ceramic currently on my left wrist is shiney, expensive looking, and doesn’t mean anywhere near as much. Be interesting to see if I still have it in 20 years time, but I bet if I do, it won’t have had anywhere near the life my AR has.

Some good memories, I have to agree there. Just out of interest, if you had worn the same watch for the same memories, but not damaged it each time, would it not still have the same sentimental value @dtf?

Some good memories, I have to agree there. Just out of interest, if you had worn the same watch for the same memories, but not damaged it each time, would it not still have the same sentimental value @dtf?

Absolutely yes, the sentimental value is about the memories not the patina, I see what you mean. The patina definitely makes it feel more ‘mine’ thou.

It didn’t pick up any damage through most of its use, but the random bits of damage do provoke distinct memories (I’ll never forget bouncing off that door in front of a customer and realising I’ve just taken a chunk out of my 3 month old watch).

I'm guessing that watch cost less than a grand new.... would you feel the same about a £7,000 Monaco that had been mangled?

I'm guessing that watch cost less than a grand new.... would you feel the same about a £7,000 Monaco that had been mangled?

Probably, a £700 AR in the late 00s was a decent chunk of my monthly pay.

Absolutely yes, the sentimental value is about the memories not the patina, I see what you mean. The patina definitely makes it feel more ‘mine’ thou.

It didn’t pick up any damage through most of its use, but the random bits of damage do provoke distinct memories (I’ll never forget bouncing off that door in front of a customer and realising I’ve just taken a chunk out of my 3 month old watch).
Thanks for considering my question in the spirit in which it was meant, and not taking it as arguing against your reasoning. I am just trying to get my head around this as I don’t get the same feelings when damaging my own watches.

Mine have just been plain old mistakes on my part in a.n.other disappointingly mundane and fully forgettable circumstances. lol.

Perhaps that’s why I don’t get it. 😀

Probably, a £700 AR in the late 00s was a decent chunk of my monthly pay.

Fair enough, I wish I could be so sanguine...

Fair enough, I wish I could be so sanguine...

Notably I take a lot more care of my pvd watches…maybe there’s some hypocrisy here?

Notably I take a lot more care of my pvd watches…maybe there’s some hypocrisy here?
I have been considering potentially thinking about considering maybe babying my plated douchebag. But then again, you only live once. Plus...

#brodoyouevenwear

upload_2024-8-1_23-15-18.png
Coooooould be!

I have been considering potentially thinking about considering maybe babying my plated douchebag. But then again, you only live once. Plus...

#brodoyouevenwear

Well, you can probably replace the bezel for like £500...

I've finally managed to have a look at the green GMT , as around here they only launched a few days ago.

I'd have to agree that the dials on the GMTs are by far the best, in my opinion much nicer than the regular diver ones. I kind of feel like TAG missed the boat by not using the GMT dias on the divers as well.

I don't know exactly why, but the pattern on the diver dials is much more noticeable, and the waves kind of have a silverish/metallic sheen on the tips/edges.

I'm hard pressed to say which GMT looks better, I love both. The green is really amazing, but there's not much in it between the two.

I'd rate them : Green GMT, Blue GMT, Blue, Green.

As others have mentioned the green diver doesn't come across well in photos, it looks grayish in photos, but it's a type of moss green, don't know how to describe it.
20240810_114721 - Copy.jpg 20240810_144532 - Copy.jpg 20240810_145308 - Copy.jpg 20240810_145312 - Copy.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/OTVb6NitFbk

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/f57epJlmq98

I know exactly what you mean about the metallic sheen and I agree, the GMT dials are a lot better. That green GMT looks pretty sweet... look froward to seeing that.

I've finally managed to have a look at the green GMT , as around here they only launched a few days ago.

I'd have to agree that the dials on the GMTs are by far the best, in my opinion much nicer than the regular diver ones. I kind of feel like TAG missed the boat by not using the GMT dias on the divers as well.

I don't know exactly why, but the pattern on the diver dials is much more noticeable, and the waves kind of have a silverish/metallic sheen on the tips/edges.

I'm hard pressed to say which GMT looks better, I love both. The green is really amazing, but there's not much in it between the two.

I'd rate them : Green GMT, Blue GMT, Blue, Green.

As others have mentioned the green diver doesn't come across well in photos, it looks grayish in photos, but it's a type of moss green, don't know how to describe it.
20240810_114721 - Copy.jpg 20240810_144532 - Copy.jpg 20240810_145308 - Copy.jpg 20240810_145312 - Copy.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/OTVb6NitFbk

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/f57epJlmq98
Agreed. The Green on the GMT really pops.

A pic from my try on.
20240812_091106.jpg

Agreed. The Green on the GMT really pops.

A pic from my try on.
20240812_091106.jpg
I tried both the blue and green gmt on in the boutique in Bath on Sunday. Really impressive for the price I think, and loved them both. Maybe a slight edge to the blue as I think it would be easier to live with, but thoroughly decent watches and one of those may be on the list if I ever get some funds again.

They also had a skipper and the Porsche 42mm. preferred the skipper, which I found oddly didn’t wear quite as small as the reverse panda for some reason.