Forums Latest Members
  1. abrod520

abrod520 Sep 29, 2021

Yeah but this wasn't because they were women. It was because the writers and director somehow managed to take four of the funniest people on the planet (no, not women, people) and make a generic, lazy, stupidass movie. Because that's what it was - they were too lazy to come up with something original, so they figured "Ghostbusters, but with women" would be enough to coast on.

Nonwhite and nonmale characters are what audiences want, just not in the same boring-ass package.

bpsmith likes this.
  2. bpsmith

bpsmith Sep 29, 2021

My view is that we should make it easy for any actor / actress / acting person to audition for new character roles irrespective of their background. No blocks put into place aside from specific situations where this isn’t possible, like in non-fiction etc.

I agree that we shouldn’t sign up to reinventing characters just for the sake of it. It’s just plain wrong.

3. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Sep 29, 2021

You know what this conversation needs? For @Hubert to spice things up with a photo bomb of his new NO TIME TO DIE Omiiiiiga.

4. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 29, 2021

Yes, you're probably right (I haven't seen it) although we might have different ideas about who and what is funny, but if you're going to make a movie like that then you must realise that it needs to be good, otherwise you're not doing women a good service at all, like Bernie said about having a black F1 driver. He's gotta be good. Same with Bond, if we're going to have Idris Elba then it needs to be up there with the best Bond films ever made or it's gonna get panned.

But they also don't want the things they know and love messed with. If you ask 100 people are you racist then most of them will say no, if you ask them if they are happy to watch women and non white characters take leading rolls in films most of them will say yes, but then ask them if they are happy for Luke Skywalker to be black, or indeed James Bond, that's probably a different story.

I mean for gods sake, a lot of people thought casting Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher was ridiculous because JR's whole schtick was that he is extremely tall and conspicuous!

thingziliketoo likes this.
  5. abrod520

abrod520 Sep 29, 2021

That's what I've been saying. James Bond and Luke Skywalker are boring old stories we keep retelling. Saying we should have a black or female James Bond or Luke Skywalker misses the point entirely, which is that we should be telling fresh stories with diverse casts. Not the same old shit in a different color.

NGO1 and bpsmith like this.
  6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 29, 2021

Yes, but franchises are everything these days...

7. bpsmith

bpsmith Sep 29, 2021

Kind of agree. If Luke Skywalker is a new character, I am more than happy for him to be black. As happy as if he were white or Asian, etc. If he’s an existing character over three trilogies and additional side movies, not at all, as doesn’t make sense.

On a similar note, regarding the subtleties of equality, some of the press about the Black Panther movies really pi$$ed me off. Headlines like “One of the best black action movies ever made.”. Now I know some people don’t like Marvel, but I happen to be a fan. It was a fantastic movie and should have just had a review stating “One of the best action movies ever made.”

The addition of the word “black” suggests an opinion that “it’s good…for a black movie”. Very subtle but massive difference.

Pitfitter446 likes this.
  8. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Sep 29, 2021

Yup. I'm still stuck in the 60s, when Bond wore the correct watch... :rolleyes:
    20210406_141219c.jpg
    20210406_142659.jpg

9. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 29, 2021

100% agree!

Yes, I haven't seen it, but by all accounts it's supposed to be a very good movie (of that genre), so yes why quantify it?

What I don't think is acceptable though is for 'real' people to be played by people of different ethnicity. Like Anne Boleyn being played by a black woman on TV recently. She wasn't black, she was white. That's a fact. I wouldn't expect Martin Luther King to be played by Jet Li or Robert Pattinson either. Because it would be completely stupid. Just because Anne Boleyn lived a long time ago doesn't change the fact that she was white.

And while we're at it, not that I'm at all sure he actually existed, but Jesus clearly WASN'T white.

bpsmith likes this.
  10. bpsmith

bpsmith Sep 29, 2021

True enough about real life people. No question about it.

That final paragraph is next level though. How has that gone in for so long!?!

11. abrod520

abrod520 Sep 29, 2021

Sadly this is true :( Originality and daring is more or less gone from movie studio business plans nowadays. Which is why TV is where it's at (speaking of diversity and representation, go watch Reservation Dogs as soon as it's available! What a wonderful show that was.)

Meanwhile I don't care who's playing the Marvel hero, it bores me silly :p (have not seen Black Panther but I checked out after the nineteenth Thor movie a couple years ago)

bpsmith likes this.
  12. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 29, 2021

Oh, also in that Independent review, they take exception to the fact that so many Bond villains have facial disfigurements... because it creates the stereotype that all people with facial disfigurements are evil or something. :rolleyes:

13. imagwai

imagwai Sep 29, 2021

394.jpg
  14. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Sep 29, 2021

LOL

15. abrod520

abrod520 Sep 29, 2021

Well honestly look at it from someone with a facial disfigurement's perspective... if in these huge movies, the only time you see yourself is in someone who's lost their mind trying to kill everyone or take over the world, I can certainly see how it could bum you out... no?

16. Anthony.R

Anthony.R Sep 29, 2021

Nothing is OK as it was anymore.
    We need to pander to the Snowflake society and if you don't look out.
    Absolutely pathetic.

Jim Dollares likes this.
  17. Hubert

upload_2021-9-29_17-4-39.png
    upload_2021-9-29_17-9-13.png
    upload_2021-9-29_17-15-36.png

18. Hubert

NGO1, Mspeedster and thingziliketoo like this.
  19. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Sep 29, 2021

20. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 30, 2021

Okay, but where do you draw the line. What about people with a limp? Does everyone who's lost a finger get upset when they watch a Yakuza movie?