Incoming- Heuer Camaro Champion 7743

With a big thanks to @abrod520 I managed to secure this beauty. Needs a new strap and a good service/ clean, but given it's spent the last 50 years sitting in a box, that's not unexpected.

Cool. I like the Champion logo. Was it a limited edition, so to speak?

Brad approves.
qt9-r-00153-1564406398.jpg

t's spent the last 50 years sitting in a box

What is the story here? It's not NOS but why has it been boxed for 50+ years?

With a big thanks to @abrod520 I managed to secure this beauty. Needs a new strap and a good service/ clean, but given it's spent the last 50 years sitting in a box, that's not unexpected.

Wow! What a beauty. Props to @abrod520.

What is the story here? It's not NOS but why has it been boxed for 50+ years?
Here's some more information from the seller:

"I inherited the Camaro from my father. He died in 1972, so I believe it is a 1960's vintage. He was in the wholesale automotive parts business- so this would have been a gift to him from the spark plug manufacturer. It has never been worn and is in the original box."

"I believe what you’re seeing as “scuffs” are just the lighting. I don’t think it’s been out of the box more than a dozen times since 1970.

As far as the band – maybe Champion Spark Plug put the band on. I can’t imagine that my Mom or Dad would have changed it, since it was never worn.

Back in the late 1960’s there were Indianapolis 500 drivers that came to town as guests of Champion to do safe driving programs for high schools. They were here for about a week going to all the schools. In the evenings, my parents hosted dinner parties for the men and their friends. I was the most popular girl in elementary school because I had all sorts of stickers and toy cars from all the automotive giants of the day!

My father/grandfather’s automotive supply business sponsored their visits to Norfolk/Portsmouth/Virginia Beach/Chesapeake area and I’m 90% sure this was a gift from those race car drivers to him for being their host."

I suspect that the owner wore the watch a few times in the late 1960s (hence a few marks), but that it has sat in the box since at least 1972.

Here's some more information from the seller:

"I inherited the Camaro from my father. He died in 1972, so I believe it is a 1960's vintage. He was in the wholesale automotive parts business- so this would have been a gift to him from the spark plug manufacturer. It has never been worn and is in the original box."

"I believe what you’re seeing as “scuffs” are just the lighting. I don’t think it’s been out of the box more than a dozen times since 1970.

As far as the band – maybe Champion Spark Plug put the band on. I can’t imagine that my Mom or Dad would have changed it, since it was never worn.

Back in the late 1960’s there were Indianapolis 500 drivers that came to town as guests of Champion to do safe driving programs for high schools. They were here for about a week going to all the schools. In the evenings, my parents hosted dinner parties for the men and their friends. I was the most popular girl in elementary school because I had all sorts of stickers and toy cars from all the automotive giants of the day!

My father/grandfather’s automotive supply business sponsored their visits to Norfolk/Portsmouth/Virginia Beach/Chesapeake area and I’m 90% sure this was a gift from those race car drivers to him for being their host."

I suspect that the owner wore the watch a few times in the late 1960s (hence a few marks), but that it has sat in the box since at least 1972.
Wow, that's a really cool back story to go with a super cool watch! 😎

Congratulations on this rare Camaro find! I just love how the Champion logo sits in the third subdial position so perfectly. I hope you keep it in that "permanent" collection box of yours.👍

The strap is an oddity as it is clearly about 2-3mm too narrow for the lug width so is surely after market/non-OEM.

The strap is an oddity as it is clearly about 2-3mm too narrow for the lug width so is surely after market/non-OEM.
Agreed.

Very very cool, big congrats on this nice find.

Well done Adam for helping out, great when the community supports each other

What a great find, well done 👍
Would love to hear more on how you were able to track down such a watch in Virginia of all places all the way from Australia 🙄

Would love to hear more on how you were able to track down such a watch in Virginia of all places all the way from Australia 🙄

Yes, that seems like a story in itself.

Congrats David, a great find, and a really nice watch.

Great find.
Champion logo makes happy.

One day I want to find out Ref.1614 with Campion logo.