Heuer 160th Anniversary/ Carrera 160 Years Silver Edition CBK221B

I'd love to see a panda version. But the Ford v Ferrari watch was a two register version, which I'd prefer as well.

A black dialed version might be a little too similar to the Carrera Fragment, and if this 160th is priced anything like the Fragement, I'm out.
Two register panda ::love::

Ah, you're right... so why did they do that then? The original Monza re-issue was TAG Heuer branded as well (I'm pretty sure)... and the Mid 2000 Autavias definitely were. Seems like their policy was all over the place.
It might be a simple case of TH's marketing learning their lesson. The original re-editions of the 90's proved to be a success, so TH continued with heritage re-editions into the 2000s. But I suspect somewhere around 2003, someone in marketing pitched that "we are TAG Heuer now, hence all the watches should wear the logo". This strategy wasn't as successful and thus around 2009, they went back to the their original strategy of Heuer logos on heritage watches.

As I've said before, I like the TAG Heuer logo, but can we imagine this new Carrera 160th Anniversary re-edition with the TAG Heuer logo instead of Heuer? I just don't think it would have the same appeal.

Not manual wind. 39mm. Price lower than the Fragment but higher than the Autavia.

I'm a buyer!

I'm guessing it will be priced somewhere between $6000-$9000 USD. (Assuming it's made of steel and not really "silver").
Which begs the question (at least for me) of whether a used CS3110 might be the more cost practical choice?

Heuer-Carrera-Re-edition-14.jpg

I'm guessing it will be priced somewhere between $6000-$9000 USD.

Lower end of that range. It's steel, not silver.

For me, I'm really curious to see how the aesthetics of the 2447 work when stretched to 39mm proportions. From the renders it looks great, and I'm also into it having the Heuer-02 movement. I'll just be sure to send it directly to TAG if it arrives with a manufacturing defect :taunt:

I'm guessing it will be priced somewhere between $6000-$9000 USD. (Assuming it's made of steel and not really "silver").
Which begs the question (at least for me) of whether a used CS3110 might be the more cost practical choice?

Heuer-Carrera-Re-edition-14.jpg
Wearing mine today and wondering if the new one will be any better. I think I will prefer 39mm, but then again, looking down at it, it is a perfectly proportioned watch.
20200112_124743.jpg

Need subscription

If it's because you've hit your free article limit, clear your browser cookies or copy and paste it in a private browser session. Or if it's because it's geo-fenced, consider subscribing to the Times, it's a great source of journalism ;)

In essence - SIHH is being rebranded and moved to April, leaving a large hole in the schedule for January, so LVMH is doing its own watch event in Dubai. Each of the watch brand heads were interviewed about their directions. From the article:

Stéphane Bianchi
Head of the LVMH Watch Division and TAG Heuer chief executive

Since taking the reins at LVMH’s watch division and the TAG Heuer brand in late 2018, Stéphane Bianchi had been quiet about his strategy. But the man recruited by Bernard Arnault, LVMH’s chairman, said that in 2020 he would introduce a new TAG Heuer platform based on “passion for action, mental strength, high performance and avant-garde,” backed by new products as well as new retail and marketing strategies.

In a pronounced shift, Mr. Bianchi said TAG Heuer would focus its partnerships on motor sports and individual sports, moving away from many connections arranged by his predecessor, Jean-Claude Biver, who was often quoted as saying that he wanted to see the brand “everywhere.”

That means that the business will no longer work with top-tier soccer leagues in Germany or Spain and that it will not extend its relationships with the model Cara Delevingne and the graffiti artist Alec Monopoly. “Our brand spirit should be maverick,” Mr. Bianchi said. “We want to prioritize people authentically linked to the brand.”

Mr. Bianchi said that early this year, TAG Heuer would introduce a new website in line with its “strong ambitions around retail and digital.” Those include opening new TAG Heuer boutiques even as the company stops working with some of its third-party retail network (it ended 20 percent of those relationships last year). “We have to rebalance wholesale and resale,” he said.

This year, TAG Heuer marks its 160th anniversary, focusing activities around its most commercially successful product, the Carrera sports chronograph. The brand plans to present one limited-edition piece in Dubai, but hold most of its key launches for Baselworld. “Carrera is a huge part of our turnover, and the new collection will be a huge launch for us,” Mr. Bianchi said.

Mr. Bianchi also said that beginning this year, TAG Heuer will make new timepieces available immediately, following the see-now/buy-now concept that fashion brands have embraced in recent years, some with mixed results. For TAG Heuer, Mr. Bianchi said, “It doesn’t make sense to show a watch and then not sell it for six months.”

This spring, he said, the brand plans to release a major update of Connected, its luxury smartwatch. Sales of the timepiece, introduced in late 2015, are generally thought to total 60,000 to 100,000 a year (the company’s sales figures are not published). By contrast, analysts were expecting last year’s sales of the Apple Watch to reach around 25 million.

TAG Heuer’s pricing at the lower end of the luxury watch market traditionally has made it appealing to younger audiences. But in recent years, such buyers have switched to smartwatches, or have never worn watches at all. “The biggest threat for us would be not to seduce the younger generation,” Mr. Bianchi said.

Wearing mine today and wondering if the new one will be any better. I think I will prefer 39mm, but then again, looking down at it, it is a perfectly proportioned watch.
20200112_124743.jpg
Comparing the two, I like the 160th marginally better. The "Carrera" logo, 39mm and H02 movement are the plus factors for me. But the CS3110 has its own unique charm, manual wind, plexi(I believe?) and smaller 36mm makes it a truer re-edition. The biggest factor is its a mere fraction of the cost.
908339-e9c0594b3e0988e32f62f9b653099312.jpg

81594571_172422823866020_7930773155509311983_n.jpg

While I really like this watch, I'll probably wait to see what else TH has planned for 2020. If they come out with a panda later in the year, I'll regret not waiting. I really can't afford another watch so soon after my 2019 purchases anyway. :whistling:

It might be a simple case of TH's marketing learning their lesson. The original re-editions of the 90's proved to be a success, so TH continued with heritage re-editions into the 2000s. But I suspect somewhere around 2003, someone in marketing pitched that "we are TAG Heuer now, hence all the watches should wear the logo". This strategy wasn't as successful and thus around 2009, they went back to the their original strategy of Heuer logos on heritage watches.

As I've said before, I like the TAG Heuer logo, but can we imagine this new Carrera 160th Anniversary re-edition with the TAG Heuer logo instead of Heuer? I just don't think it would have the same appeal.

No, I agree... it would look pretty odd.

Seems like finally things are going in the right direction.

Hmm... that's all well and good, but Mr Biver got results, whether you like his methods or not. Bianchi has a hard job, pleasing the die hards while seducing the young.

Hmm... that's all well and good, but Mr Biver got results, whether you like his methods or not. Bianchi has a hard job, pleasing the die hards while seducing the young.
Yup, seducing the young is no easy task. As the NY Times article stated, the younger generation are into apple watches or don't even wear watches at all. Most of the Millennials I know could care less about watches. My AD also tells me, those youngsters that are well to do often aspire directly towards Rolex.

The NYT article also said TH is dropping its ties with Cara Delevigne and Alec Monopoly. I was never really sure what the Monopoly thing was all about, but I think Cara helped to draw in some of the young buyers (maybe).

Do you guys really wish for the H02 movement in this one? Will it wear well if it is 39 mm steel case approx 15-16 mm thick? I am thinking top heavy and fat wearing not so good on leather. Better with old manual movement?

You are correct! I forgot about that Heuer Monza.
Just read in one of DC's articles that the Heuer Monza re-issue originated under previous ownership. LVMH changed it to Tag Heuer later on. ;)

Do you guys really wish for the H02 movement in this one? Will it wear well if it is 39 mm steel case approx 15-16 mm thick? I am thinking top heavy and fat wearing not so good on leather. Better with old manual movement?
Fragment Carrera was a Heuer 02 and was 14.5mm thick. I suspect these will be the same. It's a bit thicker than is ideal of course, but I like the tri-compax layout and the Heuer 02 column wheel movement. Better than having a Sellita in there I think.

The Telemeter is 13,6mm thick according to online references so why is the Fragment thicker?