Forum poll: How reliable is your Heuer02 movement?

I prefer the layout of the Heuer 01 / Cal16, I honestly do. Too much blank space at the top of these H02s
I think it boils down to preference. My subjective take comes from the layout of the vintage designs 👍

I know a lot of people prefer the 3 6 9 layout, but I always preferred 6 9 12 for some reason. Maybe because my first auto chrono was a Cal 60...

Reflections on my Heuer 02 powered Autavia:

- 80 hour power reserve seems accurate in my experience
- Consistently running -5 seconds per day (could be regulated in future but it’s fine)
- No issues relating to chronograph functionality

So. I’m wondering if ONLY a certain batches the H02 are problematic. Maybe first few years of production?

Anyone has issue with the Dato? That’s is one cool wrist candy.
I'm just going from memory, but the only person I've seen mention a problem with the Dato is @abrod520 who had a chronograph issue where the minute counter didn't reset to 30 under certain conditions, resetting to 29 instead. @Jim Dollares also had it happen on his Silver 160, as shown in the photo in his original post. I don't believe either of them sent their watches in for repair, since it's an intermittent thing that only happens when the minute counter hand is in a certain position, like 21 minutes.

Of the watches that I recall having serious movement issues needing to be sent in for repair, the majority have been early heritage Autavias and also your Fragment Carrera.

Perhaps @Jim Dollares has more insight, since he did the survey.

So. I’m wondering if ONLY a certain batches the H02 are problematic. Maybe first few years of production?

Anyone has issue with the Dato? That’s is one cool wrist candy.

Yeah as said, my Dato has the chrono reset issue. However, it resets properly if you cycle it again so while I think the movement isn't very good, I still enjoy the Dato and do recommend checking one out if you have the chance.

Yeah as said, my Dato has the chrono reset issue. However, it resets properly if you cycle it again so while I think the movement isn't very good, I still enjoy the Dato and do recommend checking one out if you have the chance.

Thanks Adam. Is your chrono problem gradually improving? another lube issue, could use a couple hundred cycles to smooth out, maybe?
have you encountered it recently?

I have the same issue with the silver dial carrera. Even after service. It only happens once in a while, setting it back again solves the problem.

Never issues with Dato or Siffert. Might actually be more than 80 hours.
Chrono crisp and accurate.
Only beef I have is the noisy rotor.

Never issues with Dato or Siffert. Might actually be more than 80 hours.
Chrono crisp and accurate.
Only beef I have is the noisy rotor.
Which is vroom vroom for others 😉👍

Thanks Adam. Is your chrono problem gradually improving? another lube issue, could use a couple hundred cycles to smooth out, maybe?
have you encountered it recently?

Could be a lubrication problem - it happens most times I use the chrono, but I only wear it / use it once every 10-14 days though.

I have the same issue with the silver dial carrera. Even after service. It only happens once in a while, setting it back again solves the problem.

Yeah for me sometimes it takes 2 or 3 runs to reset properly but it hasn't got stuck... yet

I have had both 2 of H01 and 1, H02.

None of them are mine anymore.

I never had trouble with any of them

But to give devil's in detail.

Both of my H01 running about +6 s/d which for me is not impressive. No problem with the chronograph or reliability and we all know the power reserve is nothing special but acceptable for me.

My H02 is running about +3 s/d. A lot better than my H01. Really have no issue on the accuracy. Power reserve also often give me a surprise if i skipped the whole weekend just to found out it is still running and begging for me to wear it again on monday.

Is it a worthy in house for Tag Heuer ? Hmmm hard to say. The reason why i sold my H02 is because whenever i think about the servicing issue later, i dont really want to deal with the cost and the waiting time.

I am now back with my trusty calibre 18. So yeah, thanks to all watch influencer that shaped the opinion of watch should be in house. I surely took the bait but I learnt a lot of lesson from there. I learnt watch should be enjoyed and in house or not in house is a choice that comes with consequences.

New scientific discovery. Our field test of the Heuer02 cooking timer has continued to show a minute sub dial hand not resetting properly. A new discovery however, is that the hand eventually resets itself without any interaction with the watch, wearing it seems to be enough. Let's hope that any TAG Heuer engineers reading this forum can provide a more technical explanation behind this feature.

New scientific discovery. Our field test of the Heuer02 cooking timer has continued to show a minute sub dial hand not resetting properly. A new discovery however, is that the hand eventually resets itself without any interaction with the watch, wearing it seems to be enough. Let's hope that any TAG Heuer engineers reading this forum can provide a more technical explanation behind this feature.

That's interesting. So even without running the chrono again, it eventually returns to zero?
About how long does that take?

I'm guessing there's some play with the gears or something, because whenever that happens to mine, it'll usually reset properly if I start / stop it again once or twice.

That's interesting. So even without running the chrono again, it eventually returns to zero?
About how long does that take?

I'm guessing there's some play with the gears or something, because whenever that happens to mine, it'll usually reset properly if I start / stop it again once or twice.
Dr. Adam, glad to hear from you. Yes this is correct, our lab tests clearly show that the minute hand resets without any further interaction with the pushers. As the science photos above show, it takes about 20 minutes for this to happen.

Previously this particular in-house H02 cooking timer has always been reset by starting it again and then reset. Unknown which method is the best but presumably this new discovery indicates that the gears have been triggered and are in between positions, to eventually slide into the right position, resetting itself.

Dr. Adam, glad to hear from you. Yes this is correct, our lab tests clearly show that the minute hand resets without any further interaction with the pushers. As the science photos above show, it takes about 20 minutes for this to happen.

Previously this particular in-house H02 cooking timer has always been reset by starting it again and then reset. Unknown which method is the best but presumably this new discovery indicates that the gears have been triggered and are in between positions, to eventually slide into the right position, resetting itself.

Interesting. Next time I have the issue I will repeat the experiment to see if I can confirm the results

My brother in law just purchase the Zenith El Primero 1/100

At first the chronograph second hand moves faster than normal chronograph (which is normal because it's 1/100) and after a month it moves even faster that you can't see any movement anymore (it just disappeared into the speed). You can only tell by the sub dial hand gradually move accordingly over time.

I guess chronograph is just a bit high maintenance.

This weekend a new discovery was made about the in-house H02 cooking timer. When in the kitchen, I mean laboratory, the chronograph ran for about 40 minutes. The upper pusher was pushed to stop the chronograph and after this the lower pusher did not work to reset the chronograph. The lower pusher felt "dead" and gave no response. This feature could be worked around by pushing the top pusher again to start and stop the chronograph, and after this the lower pusher suddenly was enabled again with a clear response resetting it all.

Lab photo showing the H02 in- (my) house after the recent discovery was made.

I might stick to using my phone or a quartz chrono for cooking going forward.....

This weekend a new discovery was made about the in-house H02 cooking timer. When in the kitchen, I mean laboratory, the chronograph ran for about 40 minutes. The upper pusher was pushed to stop the chronograph and after this the lower pusher did not work to reset the chronograph. The lower pusher felt "dead" and gave no response. This feature could be worked around by pushing the top pusher again to start and stop the chronograph, and after this the lower pusher suddenly was enabled again with a clear response resetting it all.

Lab photo showing the H02 in- (my) house after the recent discovery was made.

I might stick to using my phone or a quartz chrono for cooking going forward.....

Good job it wasn't a lot of money or anything.