Forums Latest Members

Forum poll: How reliable is your Heuer02 movement?

1. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jan 31, 2022

The H.W.R.M.E (Horological Watch Research Mega Experts) are happy to publish the results of another study, this time about the prestigious in-house movement Heuer02.

H02 breakinyourhouse.png

What does it mean to offer an in-house movement? First of all, it means you get a sort of prestige status in the watch community, allowing you to charge more for the product you sell. Does it mean that the brand produces the movement entirely in its own house though? For most brands the answer is no. The mystery behind manufacturing specifics and what is actually produced by the brand and what is produced by suppliers is a tricky topic, a topic that for some is as upsetting as realising that many “Swiss made” watches contain a whole lot of Chinese parts that just happen to be assembled in Switzerland. In this case study we didn’t focus on what was made by whom or where it was made. We simply set out to find out if the Heuer02 appears to be a movement you should spend your money on or not?

It is commonly known that the Heuer02 has a loud and violent rotor sound, as smooth and non-satisfying as someone slowly running his fingernails on a chalk board. When you first interact with a timepiece equipped with the Heuer02, it might have you believe that the movement comes from the factory ready to fall apart at any second.

Despite the soul crushing sound of the Heuer02, our forum poll* shows that after approximately 4 years on the market, owners appear to be happy and so far, experience few issues.

upload_2022-1-31_21-14-45.png

Common complaints and feedback from happy owners
    Most owners report that they are happy with their movement, but the majority state that they would not mind if the rotor was silent. Comments like “loudness is a real turnoff for me” and “feels as though it is broken due to the noise” were very common. Some would also prefer if the movement was slimmer, allowing for watch designs to be slimmer and wear better on wrist. These aspects have no impact on quality or reliability, we assume, but are still interesting common opinions raised in the survey.

What are the issues for those who have encountered them?
    There is a common red thread among the owners who have reported issues. Usage of the chronograph functions causes chronograph hands to not reset properly. This raises the thought that maybe people not reporting any issues are perhaps not using their chronograph on a regular basis. Do you own a Heuer02 watch? If yes, please comment below if you use your chronograph regularly and how it is performing. A few owners also reported that the precision of the movement was a let down and that they had to send the watch to TAG Heuer for warranty repair due to this.

IMG_0666.jpg

Conclusions
    We are happy to report that among the TAG Heuer maniacs active in the C11 community, most are happily enjoying their Heuer02 powered watches. However, we conclude that one might ensure avoiding issues by not activating the chronograph on a regular basis.

*Poll results are based on a total of 45 timepieces, reported by actual owners. Despite being very clear that the outcome of this poll could be bought for cash, unfortunately no bribes were received and the outcome of this poll is presented with the actual results, not influenced by someone paying us. If you would like to have an impact on and change the outcome of this poll, please send a dm with your offer and have your PayPal payment ready.

Sponsored ad.png

2. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jan 31, 2022

Interesting read...

3. TonyStark

TonyStark Jan 31, 2022

I’ve had two H02s and had chronograph issues on both…. And not impressed with the accuracy on the one I still have.
    I’ve posted this elsewhere so don’t want to restart the rant; it you can mark me down x 2 on the chrono issue

4. TonyStark

TonyStark Jan 31, 2022

And the noise is ridiculous. Says ‘bad tolerances’ to me …

bombaywalla likes this.
  5. TonyStark

TonyStark Jan 31, 2022

I believe something similar was fitted to Stuka dive bombers in world war 2

abrod520 likes this.
  6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jan 31, 2022

It really is hilariously obnoxious.

bombaywalla likes this.
  7. neowatch

neowatch Jan 31, 2022

I’m wondering if anyone has the Heuer 01 movement also and how it compares to the Heuer 02.

8. kappa_md

kappa_md Jan 31, 2022

Movement reliability : Heuer01 > Heuer02
    Dial layout : Heuer02 > Heuer01

9. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jan 31, 2022

What data is this based on?

10. kappa_md

kappa_md Jan 31, 2022

My own experience :thumbsup: I own a trio of Calibre1887 and several Heuer02. Doesn’t have to have hard science for me ;)

Edited Jan 31, 2022
  11. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jan 31, 2022

Have you had problems with your H02s or 1887s?

I'm shocked at your last statement, I thought all doctors were men of science! :eek: LOL ;)

thingziliketoo and Anthony.R like this.
  12. NGO1

NGO1 Jan 31, 2022

I'm shocked at your last statement. Many doctors are women of science too.

Jim Dollares and Mspeedster like this.
  13. NGO1

NGO1 Jan 31, 2022

Rust found in first H02. Yes, 6 months old watch. Rust. There were issues with lubrication, so she said—what this tells you is the technicians aren’t well trained. I won’t put the blame on design or engineering, in hope these minor issues can be fix.

Second H02 movement w chrono issues, stuck at some random point. Happened a handful of times. The issues isn’t consistently replicable. I’m bringing it in for my watchmaker to relube. WorldTime, in San Jose did an amazing job with my 1133B. I trust them to sort this out. Will cost me $800 for full chrono service.

She’s a beauty, just ignore her inside.

You nerds have no idea how much I want that HODINKEE Dato. The ONLY reason holding me back is the H02. Adam said it best, in-house is worth something when house knows its shit.

0658E1B3-06FC-4C4A-A141-03C5E329E0BE.jpeg
    Edited Feb 1, 2022
  14. kappa_md

kappa_md Jan 31, 2022

Haha when I’m at the clinic and when I operate yes, but for +/- 5 second differences in watches not so much that it bothers me ;)

Sir Jimmy @Jim Dollares will probably collate several subjective experiences and opinions in this matter :thumbsup: I’m also interested to what others have experienced.

Mspeedster likes this.
  15. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Feb 1, 2022

Fair point, but I know @kappa_md is a guy and I my response was aimed at him for his lack of science. :p

kappa_md and NGO1 like this.
  16. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Feb 1, 2022

Still curious to know what problems you've had with your watches, if any.

17. NGO1

NGO1 Feb 1, 2022

So. I’m wondering if ONLY a certain batches the H02 are problematic. Maybe first few years of production?

Anyone has issue with the Dato? That’s is one cool wrist candy.

18. ASW

ASW Feb 1, 2022

Haha. This is no more or less ridiculous than a lot of “serious” articles we all read.

I have sent my “influencer” payment via DonkeyPay. Hay not included.

Jim Dollares likes this.
  19. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 1, 2022

I prefer the layout of the Heuer 01 / Cal16, I honestly do. Too much blank space at the top of these H02s

Albert-AMG and kappa_md like this.
  20. kappa_md

kappa_md Feb 1, 2022

I think I mentioned hard science :whistling:
    :D:p

Mspeedster likes this.