Forums Latest Members

2023 TAG Heuer Solargraph Titanium (WBP1180.BF0000)

1. Yago

Yago Feb 23, 2023

No I don’t believe so. Chinese fakers aint’t buying Swiss calibres

2. Chrisred71

Chrisred71 Feb 23, 2023

Of course a Daytona isn't worth 12 000 bucks. There's a lot of prestige and advertising in there, some hype too.

But the parts, while they're don't account for half of the bill, are flawless. There's little to none you can blame on the watch itself.

✓ Materials
    ✓ Movement
    ✓ Design
    ✓ Bracelet
    ✓ Legacy
    ✓ Dial
    ✓ Dimensions

Even the most nitpickers such as myself would find themselves defeated in the quest of finding flaws on a Daytona.

Of course the Solargraph doesn't cost any near this much, but still, in luxury watches tech & specs matters. With the Rolex, you know that you're getting a flawless product, with the Tag, pop the hood and the fairytale ends.

Failing to fill the bill and even trying to hide the origin of the movement because then the price wouldn't match is a pretty despicable behavior from a brand.

3. imagwai

imagwai Feb 23, 2023

I don't know about despicable. But it is pretty cynical, and just gives brand haters another stick to beat TAG Heuer with

thingziliketoo likes this.
  4. Chrisred71

Chrisred71 Feb 23, 2023

Well I didn't know about that. I'm stunned.

5. Yago

Yago Feb 23, 2023

I don’t have a big issue with premium watches and brands being expensive. Of course you can’t have all watches you like but that’s fine. At least the perceived value in the market is high and if you choose carefully you’ll have a good chance of getting (a good) part of your money back if you ever sell. Certainly is these inflationary times. After 5-10 years your service will be 4-500 euro so it’s nice to be able to absorb that. You don’t get that with cool and affordable micro brands. That shiny 900 euro watch will be as good as worthless without service in 10 years.

6. imagwai

imagwai Feb 23, 2023

At risk of repeating myself, the sample size used for this research is massively below what would be needed to have any level of confidence in the conclusion. Like most movements, I'm sure the Cal 5 does have issues it is more prone to, but then again, there are probably millions of these movements out there, and any really systemic problems would probably have been fixed by now because it would not be worth their while not to. But I guess let's not pretend that this is a high quality, precise tolerance movement either. It's mass produced.

Chrisred71, dtf and Aquagraph like this.
  7. Yago

Yago Feb 23, 2023

Yeah but that’s a number of years ago already no? Under different managment. The skies have cleared

8. Yago

Yago Feb 23, 2023

Had mine for over 3 years, no issues

dtf, Chrisred71 and imagwai like this.
  9. imagwai

imagwai Feb 23, 2023

Are you talking about the 1887/Seiko thing? I was talking about this Solargraph movement. But there are parallels.

10. Yago

Yago Feb 23, 2023

Rolex watches are great. I used to love them, then hate them and now love them again.
    Tudor, which is where a lot of fingers point when arguing about bang for buck, couldn’t market their watches at those prices without Rolex. Yes they are probably the best watches for the price but they are made with the Rolex infrastructure. Rolex basically making them to sell to people that can’t or won’t buy a Rolex so they win either way. Not a fair comparison for other watchmakers.

11. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 23, 2023

And here you hit the nail on the head. LVMH bank on the fact that the majority of their customers (ie Joe Public who doesn't frequent watch forums) don't care, which is why the watch community pile on TAG whenever possible, because for a lot of the time they are right. Even more so for a quartz movement because most of the people who care about the details won't even consider any kind of quartz. I agree it seems there is some degree of shadiness going on (again...) albeit they claim to have made the solar panel larger, but for most people if the watch does what it says, charges in five minutes for 6 months or whatever it is, they don't particularly care if it is a lower spec than it could be or that it is also available in a much cheaper watch. Isn't the 2824 also available in £500 watches?

12. Yago

Yago Feb 23, 2023

See I didn’t know that. Would be bad

13. Chrisred71

Chrisred71 Feb 23, 2023

The movement you attached looks fake to me, it's doesn't seem to have perlage or polissage. Should look like this :

Screenshot_20230223-133720.png

14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 23, 2023

Exactly, take away the Rolex halo and I don't see Tudor being half what it is. And, let's not forget Tudor is a very recent success story, that didn't really happen until they launched the Black Bay... essentially a 'vintage' Submariner. Tudor wasn't even selling watches in England and the USA until about 2015 or so was it? I remember when I first got into the hobby it was a big story that Tudor was 'back'..

15. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 23, 2023

Yeah, we know it was a bit of fun... but speaking as someone who has only owned two 2824s (possibly three now, if the Calibre 6 is also a 2824?) and had both of them need repair I'm not exactly receptive to the idea that the 2824 is a robust workhorse.

16. Chrisred71

Chrisred71 Feb 23, 2023

Yes, the TH-50 is nothing more than a Citizen E168 that can be found in 100$ Eco drive Citizen from Amazon

17. Chrisred71

Chrisred71 Feb 23, 2023

Touché.

18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 23, 2023

That sounds plausible. TAG replace a fake movement under warranty... yes. :cautious:

19. Chrisred71

Chrisred71 Feb 23, 2023

Calibre 6 is ETA2895

20. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Feb 23, 2023

Not that I am not glad that you join us as the new movement expert in the forum, questioning if our long time members who spend hours every day here "even know what a calibre 5 is", but no you are not correct in saying it should look like that. In some watches you get a higher version of the movement with some automated robot finishing yes, but reality is that many of the calibre 5's are base level movements and the tendency seems to be that TAG Heuer put whatever movement batch they can get hold off (ETA and Sellita).

I am still curious to know why you think 3k price tag is better value when TAG puts the SW200-1 inside a watch compared to the solar powered quartz? I would not be surprised if TAG Heuer pays more per unit for the solar quartz, since they are a huge company and can buy Sellitas in huge batches and get very good bulk prices.

imagwai likes this.