2023 TAG Heuer Solargraph Titanium (WBP1180.BF0000)

But the movements aren't fake.... they are still Sellita 2824s right?
No I don’t believe so. Chinese fakers aint’t buying Swiss calibres

Look, I get what you are saying about the price, but the components are negligible in the overall 'value' of a Swiss watch. You think a Rolex Daytona is worth £12,000 or whatever it costs? Of course it isn't, you are paying for the advertising and the prestige. It's been this way since AP decided to charge a fortune for the steel Royal Oak in the 1970s. It's the approach that Richard Mille took too and it paid off big time. RM wasn't even a success until he tripled his prices or something, suddenly it was seen as desirable and the rest is history.

Of course a Daytona isn't worth 12 000 bucks. There's a lot of prestige and advertising in there, some hype too.

But the parts, while they're don't account for half of the bill, are flawless. There's little to none you can blame on the watch itself.

✓ Materials
✓ Movement
✓ Design
✓ Bracelet
✓ Legacy
✓ Dial
✓ Dimensions

Even the most nitpickers such as myself would find themselves defeated in the quest of finding flaws on a Daytona.

Of course the Solargraph doesn't cost any near this much, but still, in luxury watches tech & specs matters. With the Rolex, you know that you're getting a flawless product, with the Tag, pop the hood and the fairytale ends.

Failing to fill the bill and even trying to hide the origin of the movement because then the price wouldn't match is a pretty despicable behavior from a brand.

I don't know about despicable. But it is pretty cynical, and just gives brand haters another stick to beat TAG Heuer with

Yup, a $40 POS SW200, one of these:

This is the one that TH replaced in my 6month old AR. The issue with your argument is that people here have come to talk about TH watches they love, the dialog of 'wow everyone's calibre 5 has broken' only came about because our beloved Dr Jim decided to do a scientific survey. Turns out a lot of members here who own lots of other Tags also own calibre 5s and the majority of them have had issues. Maybe the ETAs were more reliable but the SW200 is the automatic watch equivalent of a 1970s lada and it astonishes me how members here decry quartz because of the romantic purity of a shitty mass produced movement.

Well I didn't know about that. I'm stunned.

I don’t have a big issue with premium watches and brands being expensive. Of course you can’t have all watches you like but that’s fine. At least the perceived value in the market is high and if you choose carefully you’ll have a good chance of getting (a good) part of your money back if you ever sell. Certainly is these inflationary times. After 5-10 years your service will be 4-500 euro so it’s nice to be able to absorb that. You don’t get that with cool and affordable micro brands. That shiny 900 euro watch will be as good as worthless without service in 10 years.

At risk of repeating myself, the sample size used for this research is massively below what would be needed to have any level of confidence in the conclusion. Like most movements, I'm sure the Cal 5 does have issues it is more prone to, but then again, there are probably millions of these movements out there, and any really systemic problems would probably have been fixed by now because it would not be worth their while not to. But I guess let's not pretend that this is a high quality, precise tolerance movement either. It's mass produced.

I don't know about despicable. But it is pretty cynical, and just gives brand haters another stick to beat TAG Heuer with
Yeah but that’s a number of years ago already no? Under different managment. The skies have cleared

At risk of repeating myself, the sample size used for this research is massively below what would be needed to have any level of confidence in the conclusion. Like most movements, I'm sure the Cal 5 does have issues it is more prone to, but then again, there are probably millions of these movements out there, and any really systemic problems would probably have been fixed by now because it would not be worth their while not to. But I guess let's not pretend that this is a high quality, precise tolerance movement either. It's mass produced.
Had mine for over 3 years, no issues

Yeah but that’s a number of years ago already no? Under different managment. The skies have cleared
Are you talking about the 1887/Seiko thing? I was talking about this Solargraph movement. But there are parallels.

Rolex watches are great. I used to love them, then hate them and now love them again.
Tudor, which is where a lot of fingers point when arguing about bang for buck, couldn’t market their watches at those prices without Rolex. Yes they are probably the best watches for the price but they are made with the Rolex infrastructure. Rolex basically making them to sell to people that can’t or won’t buy a Rolex so they win either way. Not a fair comparison for other watchmakers.

Of course the Solargraph doesn't cost any near this much, but still, in luxury watches tech & specs matters.

And here you hit the nail on the head. LVMH bank on the fact that the majority of their customers (ie Joe Public who doesn't frequent watch forums) don't care, which is why the watch community pile on TAG whenever possible, because for a lot of the time they are right. Even more so for a quartz movement because most of the people who care about the details won't even consider any kind of quartz. I agree it seems there is some degree of shadiness going on (again...) albeit they claim to have made the solar panel larger, but for most people if the watch does what it says, charges in five minutes for 6 months or whatever it is, they don't particularly care if it is a lower spec than it could be or that it is also available in a much cheaper watch. Isn't the 2824 also available in £500 watches?

Are you talking about the 1887/Seiko thing? I was talking about this Solargraph movement. But there are parallels.
See I didn’t know that. Would be bad

Yup, a $40 POS SW200, one of these:

This is the one that TH replaced in my 6month old AR. The issue with your argument is that people here have come to talk about TH watches they love, the dialog of 'wow everyone's calibre 5 has broken' only came about because our beloved Dr Jim decided to do a scientific survey. Turns out a lot of members here who own lots of other Tags also own calibre 5s and the majority of them have had issues. Maybe the ETAs were more reliable but the SW200 is the automatic watch equivalent of a 1970s lada and it astonishes me how members here decry quartz because of the romantic purity of a shitty mass produced movement.

The movement you attached looks fake to me, it's doesn't seem to have perlage or polissage. Should look like this :

Rolex watches are great. I used to love them, then hate them and now love them again.
Tudor, which is where a lot of fingers point when arguing about bang for buck, couldn’t market their watches at those prices without Rolex. Yes they are probably the best watches for the price but they are made with the Rolex infrastructure. Rolex basically making them to sell to people that can’t or won’t buy a Rolex so they win either way. Not a fair comparison for other watchmakers.

Exactly, take away the Rolex halo and I don't see Tudor being half what it is. And, let's not forget Tudor is a very recent success story, that didn't really happen until they launched the Black Bay... essentially a 'vintage' Submariner. Tudor wasn't even selling watches in England and the USA until about 2015 or so was it? I remember when I first got into the hobby it was a big story that Tudor was 'back'..

Yeah, we know it was a bit of fun... but speaking as someone who has only owned two 2824s (possibly three now, if the Calibre 6 is also a 2824?) and had both of them need repair I'm not exactly receptive to the idea that the 2824 is a robust workhorse.

See I didn’t know that. Would be bad

Yes, the TH-50 is nothing more than a Citizen E168 that can be found in 100$ Eco drive Citizen from Amazon

Spot on @dtf

Saying that a price is more resonable when the greedy Swiss charge 3k for a $40 Sellita just because the Sellita is mechanical is just ridiculous.

As with all affordable luxury, most of the price tag is made up of fluff i.e brand and design. We don't want no citizen on the wrist, people might think we are poor. We want that prestigeious TAG Heuer badge, showing that we give zero fucks and we are glad to pay 3k for a watch that cost the manufacturer 100 bucks to produce. When people get into the hobby they might fall for the marketing of hand made romantic fairytales from Switzerland but eventually we learn that these things are mass produced by robots in factories. Others are sold on the whole marketing scam of "heritage" but in the end nothing is about the parts in the product, it is emotional irrational entry level luxury for people like me who enjoy nicely built products but can't afford actual luxury.

Touché.

The movement you attached looks fake to me, it's doesn't seem to have perlage or polissage. Should look like this :

That sounds plausible. TAG replace a fake movement under warranty... yes. 😒

Yeah, we know it was a bit of fun... but speaking as someone who has only owned two 2824s (possibly three now, if the Calibre 6 is also a 2824?) and had both of them need repair I'm not exactly receptive to the idea that the 2824 is a robust workhorse.

Calibre 6 is ETA2895

Should look like this
Not that I am not glad that you join us as the new movement expert in the forum, questioning if our long time members who spend hours every day here "even know what a calibre 5 is", but no you are not correct in saying it should look like that. In some watches you get a higher version of the movement with some automated robot finishing yes, but reality is that many of the calibre 5's are base level movements and the tendency seems to be that TAG Heuer put whatever movement batch they can get hold off (ETA and Sellita).

I am still curious to know why you think 3k price tag is better value when TAG puts the SW200-1 inside a watch compared to the solar powered quartz? I would not be surprised if TAG Heuer pays more per unit for the solar quartz, since they are a huge company and can buy Sellitas in huge batches and get very good bulk prices.