Forums Latest Members

2023 TAG Heuer Solargraph Titanium (WBP1180.BF0000)

1. bpsmith

bpsmith Feb 18, 2023

I believe so. Not tried one on yet, but that’s what I am told.

Jim Dollares likes this.
  2. bpsmith

bpsmith Feb 18, 2023

Just searched around. Not watched it all, but this shows the adjustment at about 8 mins in.

3. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Feb 18, 2023

Thanks! Interesting, well at least it is better than having no adjustment at all on the go

bpsmith likes this.
  4. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Feb 18, 2023

Strange. Not really a micro adjustment, more like a divers' extension but doesn't seem long enough.

5. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 18, 2023

But you still get three micro adjustment holes too..

6. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Feb 18, 2023

Those don't look like they can be adjusted on the fly though, just old school adjustment holes, aren't they?

7. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 19, 2023

Yes. Just good old fashioned stick a pin in em holes.

8. thingziliketoo

thingziliketoo Feb 20, 2023

I didn’t know about that feature nor was it pointed out. If it’s like the Rolex easy link, it’s a nice feature. I use it often in the summer on my GMT and Explorer. That will be on my check list next visit to the AD.

9. bpsmith

bpsmith Feb 20, 2023

Tried the Titanium and the Steel DLC versions on in my nearest Boutique today. 7mm divers extension confirmed. I tend to go up or down one notch during the day, so 2-3mm would be my requirement.

Both look even better in the flesh, but I just couldn’t buy the Ti version as it felt way too light and a touch small for my taste. Felt like a toy, even though it was clearly nicely finished.

Much preferred the DLC Carbon version. Still felt a touch small but a lot nicer, to me at least.

I also tried on a Monaco for the first time. Fit was lovely. Didn’t realise they were quite so thick, but still looked great on.

McBeardy and thingziliketoo like this.
  10. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Feb 20, 2023

It is only February and I sense Ben will have troubles resisting the urge to add another sexy watch to his collection in 2023. Between Navitimer and Monaco the choice is simple, get the Monaco Titan.

McBeardy, bpsmith and Aquagraph like this.
  11. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 20, 2023

Yep too small, especially the black one. Although they both look really nice..

bpsmith likes this.
  12. bpsmith

bpsmith Feb 20, 2023

They really do look cool. The blue is a lot nicer than the pics online.

Glad I got my orange one instead of waiting for the black one.

13. bpsmith

bpsmith Feb 20, 2023

It’s possible for later in the year. In fact it appears inevitable I think. Like you, it’s definitely going to be a three watch collection. Might change over time, but only three at a time.

14. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Feb 20, 2023

Ah yes, the three piece watch collection is a state of mind that allows one to achieve ultimate pleasure. I hear Rob is also working towards this goal, he just needs to sell 297 watches first.

McBeardy, Yago, Aquagraph and 3 others like this.
  15. dtf

dtf Feb 21, 2023

Is it three bb58s? One on leather, one on fabric, one on steel?

McBeardy, Mspeedster, imagwai and 2 others like this.
  16. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 21, 2023

I've told you before, I only collect blue watches all the rest aren't part of the collection. :D

17. Chrisred71

Chrisred71 Feb 22, 2023

There's more to the story. First and foremost, Tag won't ever acknowledge the true origins of TH-50 caliber. Worse, when it was revealed alongside the TH-30 COSC, they claimed it was a bespoke development from La Joux Perret (a venture owned by Citizen). That kind of shady PR stunt remembers me of the dark days of 1887.

I believe Tag thought that since it's a Quartz the horology community will barely notice the TH-50 watches and it'll fly under the radar. (1887 was a column wheel chronograph movement). It didn't.

You guys quoted "$350 Citizen" but TH50 is actually based on the caliber E168 that happens to equip even $100 watches from the Japanese firm.

You would think Tag must've tweaked some parameters or settings to improve that caliber. Judging by the performance & technical data they provided, they did not.

The claim of "bespoke development from la Joux Perret" is a blatant lie, they're getting E168s by hundreds and at massive discounts from Citizen. Asking 2000/3000 €/$/£ for that is daylight robbery, plain and simple.

You're talking about design, but this is just an Aquaracer professional 200 with minor tweaks, nothing new.

And regarding cachet & branding, Tag Heuer always claimed to be on the bleeding edge of performance & avant-garde, yet that's a $5 engine of a $100 solar watch from Amazon you'll find under that hood. And they claimed it was a bespoke swiss development from la Joux Perret

And despite all this, I'm not a hater. I loved the Solargraph from day one. That DLC coated black case with illuminated black bezel and subtle touches of teal here and there. Magnificent. But fake development claims about the movements, and priced like Tag actually did develop something, that's adding insult to the injury.

18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 22, 2023

I am not disputing a single thing you say, but... Swiss watches are daylight robbery full stop. You either get on board or you don't. As far as I know the boutiques are getting very limited quantities of the Solargraphs, and they will sell those fairly easily. If your customer doesn't know any better they will pay and be happy, if they do they probably wouldn't buy it anyway. I agree they should have used a better base movement if one is available, but even then what price would be 'reasonable'? And where would that fit into TAGs pricing structure?

19. Chrisred71

Chrisred71 Feb 23, 2023

I disagree, some other brands, even some other references amongst Tag's current portfolio, are offering a sense of "getting what you paid for". Not the case here.

But your second point, I wholeheartedly agree. Tag is creating the illusion of demand by limiting supply. And clueless newcomers will fall for it, while enthusiasts will discard a 3000 **insert currency here** Citizen- powered quartz piece from the get go.

And how it would fit in current Tag's pricing strategy ?
    Well, for starters, no quartz piece should be sitting above its mechanical peers price wise.
    There's already quartz and mechanical Aquaracer 200m variants, and the Solargraph should be positioned in the middle. Of course it's more sophisticated than your bare bones quartz, but a quartz it remains.

So should it be more expensive than the Calibre 5 Aquaracer 200m ? Absolutely not. By insisting in doing so, it's like Tag want us to believe they invented the very solar quartz technology (spoiler they did not).

I also believe Tag limit the Solargraph supply because if it was readily available it would be heavily discounted within days. Market always adapt to wrong pricings. And asking 3000 bucks for an eco drive in swiss clothing is VERY WRONG pricing.

So they try to steer the ship the other way by offering only an handful of watches per boutique, but truth is they could hardly move more.

The Solargraph is gorgeous, and Eco-drive is a simple yet neat horology tech. Tag should've embrace that as it is, rather than pricing it like it's something else entirely.

Only a couple of hundreds more than the Quartz Aquaracer plus a "Powered by Eco-Drive" on the specs sheet, and they would sell like hot cakes.

20. thingziliketoo

thingziliketoo Feb 23, 2023

I agree that the price is a bit steep for the watch.

I have stopped getting hung up on the cost of the movement on watches. No watch is worth the money if we just based prices off the movement.

The price we pay is to have the whole package on our wrist. For the 3 grand you get a good looking, Swiss Tag Heuer on your wrist, not a Citizen, and to do that you will have to pay for it.

I can get a great featured Pagani Design Aquaracer copy for cheap, but I would not be proud to wear it or tell its brand story.

It’s the sum of everything, especially the intangible pieces, that make up the watch and the cost of it.

On that note I will be waiting for the Solargraph to hit the secondary market a year from now to make my purchase as I feel that is where we will see a fair price.

Jemagloh and Jim Dollares like this.