2023 Monaco releases

@Jim Dollares , thanks for the info and photo, much appreciated. TBH that sort of wear would drive me nuts, personally I think I’d be best avoiding DLC. Always helpful to get an honest opinion from someone with personal experience :cool:
To be clear, the watch in the photo is not mine, I simply google sales ads for used coated watch models and quickly come across different variety of wear. I stay away from black dlc coating, I think it looks like shit when the edges start to wear and you slowly start to see the titanium or steel beneath.

Don't be fooled by the extremely misleading name though. The coating aint nothing like diamond. If you plan to wear the watch regularily it will eventually scratch. Some people like the look when it gets more worn, just good to be aware it will eventually wear off if you don't baby the watch.

TAG's DLC seems to be especially weak compared to others... I think it may also have to do with them mainly using it on grade 2 titanium (which scratches extremely easily)

TAG's DLC seems to be especially weak compared to others... I think it may also have to do with them mainly using it on grade 2 titanium (which scratches extremely easily)
Breitling is the same shit, looked at Blckbird 44's recently for example. Look at the crown on this one, I suppose simply worn off from frequent use of the crown

IMG_2990.jpeg

Here is another one showing how the edges of the case and bezel is starting to show on this one

IMG_2991.jpeg

To be clear, the watch in the photo is not mine, I simply google sales ads for used coated watch models and quickly come across different variety of wear. I stay away from black dlc coating, I think it looks like shit when the edges start to wear and you slowly start to see the titanium or steel beneath.

Same as all black alloys on cars , look as sone as they get curbed or a couple of chips , I think I’ll stick to un coated metal thanks

So the dictionairy gives me the following definition of what a diamond is

a precious stone consisting of a clear and colourless crystalline form of pure carbon, the hardest naturally occurring substance

Watch companies should be sued and have their finances drained for calling their coating diamond like. Totally misleading false fraudulent marketing.

That's why the cheeky fellows call it DLC- diamond like coating, and not diamond coating ::bleh::

Same as all black alloys on cars , look as sone as they get curbed or a couple of chips , I think I’ll stick to un coated metal thanks
If you want your black watch to stay black, I guess ceramic is the only durable way to go (but you “pay” for it by accepting other risks)…

That's why the cheeky fellows call it DLC- diamond like coating, and not diamond coating ::bleh::
Or more accurately Diamond-Like Carbon coating. DLC is available in a variety of hardness levels (between that of ceramic/sapphire and diamond). So although DLC should be able to withstand wear and tear, it's down to the quality of adhesion between it and the underlying material that will determine durability. Even then harder materials can be worn down with softer materials over time (e.g. a vinyl record will wear down the diamond tip of a stylus after several hundred hours).

If you want your black watch to stay black, I guess ceramic is the only durable way to go (but you “pay” for it by accepting other risks)…
I suppose you're thinking of ceramic? There are also plastic composite materials like "Breitlight" which will stay black forever and not break if you drop it (like ceramic can).

IMG_5256.jpeg

Bottom line , a coating is just that , a coating, and you take the chance that it will wear / scratch no matter what the PR folk say. If a “patina” is your thing great, personally it’s not for me on an expensive watch.

Don't be fooled by the extremely misleading name though. The coating aint nothing like diamond. If you plan to wear the watch regularily it will eventually scratch. Some people like the look when it gets more worn, just good to be aware it will eventually wear off if you don't baby the watch.

IMG_2988.jpeg

I have been quite impressed with the TH DLC coating on both my pvd aquaracers, I’ve been wearing the calibre 16 since 2014 and the night diver for 2.5 years. I’m quite careful with them, removing them before any manual labour, but both have had a lot of wear, including a month straight for the night diver when I went on vacation and a couple of years of business travel with the c16.

Both are only showing a little polishing on the corners, no chips or scuffs. I’d say the photo above is either a fake or the owner was careless or unlucky.

Night diver polishing on the edge:
IMG_1036.jpeg

Night diver top is unmarked:
IMG_1037.jpeg

C16 Full Black top is in pretty good condition for a 9yo watch:
IMG_1038.jpeg

Breitling is the same shit, looked at Blckbird 44's recently for example. Look at the crown on this one, I suppose simply worn off from frequent use of the crown

IMG_2990.jpeg

Here is another one showing how the edges of the case and bezel is starting to show on this one

IMG_2991.jpeg

Based on my Avenger, which I’ve owned for just under a year, I think the Breitling coating is more fragile. Mine is not showing polishing on the edges underneath like the TAGs, but I have scratched the coating on one of the lugs and it’s starting to polish on the edges of raised sections on the bezel:

IMG_1043.jpeg

The Breitling pvd is a different shade, grey not black, and as the titanium oxidises where it’s scratched, it goes from standing out and looking terrible, to looking ok. Overall I still think it looks good, and suspect it will age quite nicely, although obviously the value will drop a lot as it gets more beaten up.

IMG_1045.jpeg

IMG_2988.jpeg

::puke:: I need a lie down

Nearly as bad as that not quite black enough coating Breitling use

It's a Monaco with lume bits all over it. Imagine an Aquaracer Night Diver, but a Monaco. KInda that. But not quite
More different than similar I'm afraid. When I first heard about the Monaco Night Driver, my image was something like The Hour Glass LE (below), but with a whiter dial and black accents like the Aquaracer Night Diver.
TAG-Heuer-Monaco-The-Hour-Glass-3.jpg

However, according to my Boutique, the luminous dial will be more grey in color, perhaps even two tones of darker grey (circle) and lighter grey. I've also heard about green accents, which might be the lume color at night.

Pretty lame guys. Wear on a well used, not abused, vintage PVD watch is pretty damn cool if you ask me. And the thing collectors are looking for. It’s the sort of patina you can’t recreate, the result of a life well lived.
This one has been developing patina since the late ‘70s. No safe queen could ever match this.

IMG_2393.jpeg

For the black Monacos Abel specifically chose pvd instead of dlc or another harder coating because he wants them to develop such patina over time.
Each their own.

More different than similar I'm afraid. When I first heard about the Monaco Night Driver, my image was something like The Hour Glass LE (below), but with a whiter dial and black accents like the Aquaracer Night Diver.
TAG-Heuer-Monaco-The-Hour-Glass-3.jpg

However, according to my Boutique, the luminous dial will be more grey in color, perhaps even two tones of darker grey (circle) and lighter grey. I've also heard about green accents, which might be the lume color at night.

Yes, my description was crap

Has anyone thought of any nicknames for the skeletonised Monaco's? I noticed on the website that TH describe the luminous turquoise as being "Fierce and Unruly". Did TH do this knowing that it could be abbreviated to FU. In which case how does the "FU Monaco" sound? Seems rather appropriate given that it sticks the proverbial middle finger up to Monaco designs of the past. ;)
Edited: