Forums Latest Members

2020 TAG Heuer Carrera Sports Chronograph

1. imagwai

imagwai Jul 9, 2020

Not sure about the bottom right, but the other 3 look top notch. 39mm, halve the price and I'm sold :)

SteveP likes this.
  2. THJunkie

THJunkie Jul 9, 2020

Well apart from the bottom left. I completely agree. Thought I think the green face and blue strap don't quite go together if I'm honest. No matter how much I love the old Carrera design :p

3. abrod520

abrod520 Jul 9, 2020

C... Honestly one could say this about anything that's even the slightest bit expensive.

Porsche 911? Halve the price and I'm sold!

Enormous sushi dinner? Halve the price and I'm sold!

Weeklong all-inclusive trip to the Seychelles? Halve the price and I'm sold!

I think an elegant 39mm line and a sportier 44mm line would both be worth the $5700 price point. As it stands, I do not think the 44mm is worth that, though.

For cheap chronographs, might I suggest Longines ?

4. abrod520

abrod520 Jul 9, 2020

I just used the same image of the Montreal Carrera for each, didn't go into detail about the straps ;)

Will perhaps update it with a black strap / black dial and a brown strap for the green dial, later.

THJunkie likes this.
  5. THJunkie

THJunkie Jul 9, 2020

I think that's a general trend though isn't I? TH going "upmarket"? Better straps, clasps, cases and in house etc. That has to cost money. Omega inflation has been crazy in recent years too. And they're just the same watches! At least Tag is making major improvements to help justify the higher prices.

Jim Dollares and Anthony.R like this.
  6. imagwai

imagwai Jul 9, 2020

Yes, but Tag Heuer chronograph prices have escalated too high in my opinion. It wasn't very long ago you could buy a brand new JH80th limited edition Carrera for £3000. Why should they be more expensive than a Speedmaster or a Tudor chrono? I get they're trying to position the Carrera at the top of their tree, and have put in an in-house movement, but I'm not sure the price hike is justified, and it has pushed it just out of reach for many I'm afraid. And we're now in a global recession.

7. THJunkie

THJunkie Jul 9, 2020

It does seem pointless really. A bit like a "GIT" badge on a car. The dial would look better without it I agree.

YY77 likes this.
  8. THJunkie

THJunkie Jul 9, 2020

Or just be patient and wait for a sale?

Asking price (RRP), actual Sale price and even value/worth are not the same thing. If they don't sell at these new inflated prices, the discount levels will deepen. Does anybody pay full RRP anyway. So it is the actual "street" price that really matters.

9. THJunkie

THJunkie Jul 9, 2020

So which would you all pick of the bunch. This one would be my pick. Mostly because it looks quite different from other general offerings (in the range and on the market). There are plenty of "simple" blue or black chronos of this kind. And whilst the green certainly seems to be "on trend" I think it works better in a diver (personally). But this one has so much "warmth". I can see myself grabbing this from BV in a few years time. ::bleh::

tag-heuer-carrera-sports-chronograph-heuer-02-80.jpeg
    kappa_md and Aquagraph like this.
  10. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jul 9, 2020

Who's to say that the September Carrera release won't follow a similar theme?

Hubert likes this.
  11. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 9, 2020

I don't.

12. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 9, 2020

Definitely my pick, looks really nice!

13. THJunkie

THJunkie Jul 9, 2020

You meant to say they are going to continue to put the same brand name on a large number of different watch types? I was hoping they were rationalising the range to get out of the identify crisis mode they've been in. I get that there might be a Heuer vintage re-issue, a modern Sport and a modern Skeleton (highest end in PM etc) in the range. But the great array of different models is e bit bewildering. Is it a sports inspired Chronograph? A GMT, a dress watch? There seems to so many models in the range it is hard to know what they are trying to say. What IS a Carrera these days?

Jim Dollares and abrod520 like this.
  14. Remo

Remo Jul 9, 2020

15. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 9, 2020

Oh don't worry, that one is a modern re-imagining, the kids will love it.:D

16. abrod520

abrod520 Jul 9, 2020

I wouldn't have anyone get their hopes up for anything much better... just because it may not have a bezel - hypothetically of course - doesn't mean it'll be a design worthy of the Carrera ethos.

Besides, @THJunkie is bang on:

Why couldn't this lineup that we're discussing today have been given a rotating bezel, slightly different lugs, and been the Autavia lineup instead of that silly 3-hander that may as well be part of the Aquaracer line?

17. THJunkie

THJunkie Jul 9, 2020

Just thought how good a Monza re-issue would look in the same "colour scheme".

Aquagraph likes this.
  18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 9, 2020

That 'silly three hander' looks nothing like an Aquaracer thank you very much!

dtf likes this.
  19. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jul 9, 2020

I'd say that the range is in transition. I did ask Guy Bove which models were being discontinued- although I didn't expect him to answer. So my guess is that the Skeleton range will be shrunk significantly to a couple of models and that Heuer 02 movements will replace much (not all) of the current Calibre 16 watches.

SteveP and THJunkie like this.
  20. calibre11user

calibre11user Jul 9, 2020

Is the 42mm model your own speculation, or has it been confirmed with TAG Heuer?