Forums Latest Members

2018 Monaco Gulf "First Victory" 50th Anniversary CAW211T

1. abrod520

abrod520 Jun 14, 2018

Erm... when's the last time you saw 4 different limited editions of the "one watch" in the same year? And you really must be ::facepalm2:: if you think the 4 Autavias from this year will be all TAG does

2. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jun 14, 2018

lf.jpg
    Maybe not in one year, granted... but this is just the 'Missions' watches (and not even all of them).

OttoWilliam likes this.
  3. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jun 14, 2018

From what recall seeing, Dempsey was a Monaco fan before he became an ambassador. I recall seeing him wearing the original Monaco Gulf (white face, dark blue and red stripes) back in the day and I don't think he was affiliated with TAG Heuer back then. Seems his love of racing, Porsches, and liking the Monaco on its own, eventually led to his connection with TAG Heuer.

But Dempsey isn't in the same league movie star wise as McQueen or Newman. He's certainly no Jo Siffert as a racer either, but his podium class finish at Le mans isn't too shabby. Nonetheless, I don't think a watch bearing his name would have the same kind of collectors status.

4. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jun 14, 2018

Yeah, the various versions and special editions of the moonwatch is crazy. But TAG Heuer is almost just as silly. Last year's Gulf was supposed to commemorate 50 years of Gulf Racing. Now this one is 50 years since Gulf Racing's first win? Next year is the 50th Anniversary of the Monaco, I wonder if we'll get a 50th Anniversary of the Gulf livery on the Porsche 917 edition? Heck, even my Monaco Gulf Grey is the 40th Anniversary of the movie Le Mans edition. LOL. :)

5. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jun 15, 2018

Yes, I agree... they should be a bit more discerning - or at least come up with a better 'story'.

But from a business point of view, look at Hubert. If they stuck to one 'classic' Calibre 11 blue dial Monaco, what on earth would he spend his money on? If TAG release 10 Monacos he'll buy five of them...

Jim Dollares, Mspeedster and Hubert like this.
  6. abrod520

abrod520 Jun 15, 2018

You got a point there - though there were only 50 Missions Sets, they produced each watch separately in crazy numbers. Still, they were all of a theme, introduced at once - not every few months saying "Hey, here's a new limited edition!"

Look, I'm all for fun limited variations on a theme - but they don't work unless 1) they are visually distinct from one another and 2) they are introduced at intervals which allow interest in the previous LE to wane. The Hodinkee "Orange Boy" would have been really cool if it were introduced next year, rather than a week or two after deliveries of the Calibre11 watch. That strategy would also maintain interest in the regular Autavia over time, rather than pumping it up in the first year

7. elbeik

elbeik Jun 15, 2018

Black strap isn’t working. At least not in those photos.

Aquagraph likes this.
  8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jun 15, 2018

Yes I think it was very bad timing to release those two so close together, especially as it was so obvious that they would release that scheme sooner or later.

9. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Jun 15, 2018

Like the front, not so much the black strap and really not the logo? on the rear, another one waiting for next year with hands down the back of the chairs checking for change to boost the watch fund. Sorry if this offends any buyers, just my opinion.

10. TonyStark

TonyStark Jun 15, 2018

I think the limited edition having s flat blue vs the blue metallic of the production gulf would be quite a significant difference if yhe wqtches were side by side. Dont think the photos quite show that

11. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jun 15, 2018

Agree. I think the blue strap of the "R" would look nicer on the "T", but I guess they need to make this new "T" model different.

The one nice thing about the T's black strap is it will go nicely with my Gulf Grey Monaco! Already have a black croc strap with orange stitching and the dark blue rally with orange stitching from last year's Gulf "R", but this latest one might be the perfect match! :D

Edited Jun 15, 2018
  12. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jun 16, 2018

Mine will be delivered on Monday, but here are some pictures sent by a friend.
    IMG_7624.jpg IMG_7623.jpg IMG_7625.jpg IMG_7621.jpg IMG_7622.jpg

TP61, Calibre11, Jim Dollares and 2 others like this.
  13. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Jun 16, 2018

Gorgeous box and, I assume, book!

Mspeedster likes this.
  14. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jun 16, 2018

Thanks for the updated pics. What's interesting is that the dial in these pics appears to be a very similar starburst dark blue as on the "R". From the other pics I thought this new "T" had a matte blue dial, more similar to the McQueen CAW211P.

If the dial is the same or very similar to the "R", the only real difference for the "T" is the lighter blue stripe, black strap, the 50th emblem on the case back, and the box set. The box set being the coolest thing about this watch for me, over the standard "R".

Edited Jun 16, 2018
    Hubert likes this.
  15. El Matarife

El Matarife Jun 16, 2018

Hubert likes this.
  16. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jun 16, 2018

My friend said: "... the color blue is brighter, the light blue stripe is way lighter, the orange stripe is brighter, and the Gulf logo is bigger."

El Matarife and Mspeedster like this.
  17. TonyStark

TonyStark Jun 17, 2018

I was really quite taken by the sunburst blue dial of the 'r'. Lovely.

In fact I've been looking this weekend to see if they have used the finish on other non-gulf models.

18. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Jun 17, 2018

Looked again at one yesterday, wifey seemed to approve, maybe have suggested purchase but a 2019 model is still nagging at the back of my mind.

19. Yago

Yago Jun 17, 2018

Dempsey looks a bit mcsleepy but he's about to win Le Mans with his new T on his wrist. Nice close-up of the watch a few min ago.

Mspeedster likes this.
  20. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jun 17, 2018

Indeed, with next year being the 50th Anniversary of the Monaco, for sure there will be more special LE Monaco's coming our way. I wouldn't mind a Monaco Gulf LE fashioned after the car's livery instead of the driver's suit. E.g. A light Gulf Blue dial face with an Orange stripe down the middle with thin black stripes bordering the orange. For reference, see my avatar. LOL ;)

Jim Dollares and ASW like this.