Forums Latest Members

2018 Monaco Gulf "First Victory" 50th Anniversary CAW211T

1. El Matarife

El Matarife Jun 13, 2018

It looks like I missed out on the pre-order. Maybe with only 50 available worldwide I shouldn't be surprised. Many thanks to this forum though, without joining I wouldn't have even heard about it's launch today :)

2. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jun 13, 2018

One can't be a well informed TAG Heuer enthusiast, without Calibre11.com!

3. Hubert

This time Patrick is wearing the new one! Now, if I could only get mine signed by Jack ...
    upload_2018-6-13_11-44-19.png
    upload_2018-6-13_11-47-41.png

upload_2018-6-13_11-48-47.png

4. El Matarife

El Matarife Jun 13, 2018

Patrick clearly took the one that I was meant to get, how rude :)

Hubert, if your pre-order does not live up to your expectations, please do PM me...

...although I sincerely believe that you will be over the moon with it.

5. Hubert

Will do. The notice said these would start shipping on 15th, so let's see.

Mspeedster likes this.
  6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jun 13, 2018

Re the colour difference, sure the blue is lighter, but having a black strap rather than a blue one may also make the dial look slightly brighter, no?

Also the sub-dials look white, whereas they are silvery on last years model.

7. Hubert

Once I get it I will let you know if the sub-dials are different.

8. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jun 13, 2018

Congrats Hubert- looking forward to seeing the two Gulfs next to each other! I did think about the Monaco, but I'm keen to see what happens next year with the 50th Anniversary...no whispers yet on what that might be.

Yago and Hubert like this.
  9. Hubert

Thank you David! I will certainly post side by side pictures of both once I get the new one.

No matter what happens, I am pretty much sure that I will be in line for next year's 50th Anniversary model. So, I really hope it will be truly special.

10. Idl

Idl Jun 13, 2018

Relatively new to Tag product line and trying to understand ‘significance’ of this model since doesn’t break new ground. Is it significance due to run of 50 pieces (ie Caw211T vs W) and a collectible to small group of collectors. Trying to appreciate this offering but not sure how to evaluate.

11. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jun 14, 2018

Congrats Hubert! If you decide you don't like it, I'd also be interested in taking it off your hands. Not trying to start a bidding war, but I'll get in line. LOL. :)

12. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jun 14, 2018

Ok. I am interested in seeing the colors in person and how overall it compares against the original. If I end up liking it, I will keep it of course. Otherwise, I'll let you guys know.

Mspeedster likes this.
  13. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jun 14, 2018

Hi Idl, welcome to the forum. I guess the 'significance' of this model is that it has the lighter blue stripe..... :whistling:

14. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jun 14, 2018

For me, the trend is very clear: the old world of watches being launched only at Baselworld in March, with a few minor local exceptions (e.g. Japan LEs) is gone.

The new way is for there to be multiple short-runs of 50-200 watches to complement the main collection. Some of these will be with retailers, some with local markets and some with websites...that's the way it's all going!

Yago likes this.
  15. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jun 14, 2018

Or that, yeah. :)

16. Yago

Yago Jun 14, 2018

I don't understand the complaints about the ever expanding amount of LE's. Yes some of these are only slightly different from the standard range or even other LE's. But we have seen some very interesting examples over the last years that otherwise would never have made it further than R&D stage.
    Given the turmoil in the watch market I think TH has made a great choice to include it's fanbase in the development and even distribution of it's watches. From the Autavia Cup to Calibre 11, Hodinkee or The Rake. The result are mostly very interesting watches catered to people in the know, but creating a lot of buzz for TH.
    The LE's cause a disproportionate amount of costs and work. Selling 100 watches is peanuts, this is certainly not their main objective. I'm sure they view this as a marketing expense. The launch event and track day of the new Gulf Monaco cost a lot more than the production cost of these 50 watches. It's a win-win. We can sit back and pick our favourite LE armcandy to come.

TonyStark and Jim Dollares like this.
  17. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jun 14, 2018

I agree... especially as TAG aren't just pimping one watch over and over again (cough *Omega* cough).

18. El Matarife

El Matarife Jun 14, 2018

When something isn't right, it can only be wrong. It's a motorsport thing :)

I've been looking at Monacos since the 24 (twenty-four?) Gulf. If I could have designed my own, it would have had a left hand winder, sapphire crystal, McQueen blue face, Gulf Racing stripes and a black strap.

It came, I saw, it went :-(

19. TonyStark

TonyStark Jun 14, 2018

Tried the standard gulf today..... very nice!

20180614_155557.jpg

20. Idl

Idl Jun 14, 2018

Thanks for the feedback... couple of additional questions/observations

There is actually very little press about this watch (no mention on Calibre11 (first look) , HODINKEE or other sites. Any insight why (just a marketing watch)?

In the past watches were to commemorate races and mcqueen, Newman, Siffert wore their watch’s for long periods of time. Will Dempsey develop into same caliber or is he just a paid spokesman/ambassador inhibiting collectible status?