Forums Latest Members

2017 TAG Heuer Collection from Baselworld

1. imagwai

imagwai Mar 22, 2017

I can't say I disagree completely. There are too many Omega LEs for sure, and many of them don't appeal to me. But at least there is something in the range that appeals and will fit me!

I wouldn't use the term douche bags. I think you can perhaps divide them loosely into 3 camps: 1) those who like me can appreciate Heuers and Tag Heuers alongside other brands; 2) those who have no interest in Tags because they see them as inferior somehow; 3) those who don't like Tag because they don't like the marketing strategy (sometimes 2 and 3 are combined).

2. abrod520

abrod520 Mar 22, 2017

The way I see it, each LE is a different, and fun, interpretation of the classic Speedmaster design. I think it keeps the line fresh, and now that Omega has learned their lesson about what constitutes a true Limited Edition (~2000 pcs), they're each rare enough that they don't crowd one another out. Not all LEs appeal to every person, so while I might go nuts over an Apollo XI 45th Anniversary but skip the Silver Snoopy, someone else may feel the inverse and thus, we are both happy with our watches.

Well, generalizing any group all to be douchebags would likely not please them no matter who they were, don't you think?

Coming from a TAG Heuer perspective though, and speaking from my own personal experience, I find that Omega has been executing their product lines with particular excellence these past few years. By nodding to their iconic past, with the SM300 MC; by producing exciting watches with a tasteful reserve of color, like the original Dark Side of the Moon (see the touches of red - no more than necessary to get the point across).

Personally for me modern Rolex does nothing, but I entered this hobby via my enthusiasm for automobile racing, and Heuer's lovely understated chronographs that were associated with that activity. I am of the belief that the original, reference 2447 Carrera is the absolute most perfect chronograph design ever. And to see what TAG has done with that sublime genealogy, just bothers me. So I do take a bit of a nasty tone at each new overstatement that TAG inflicts upon the Carrera name, but do understand my opinion is limited to the watch itself, and not to those who would buy them. I may not appreciate the watches, but my heart is still warmed by each excited post here by a new owner of a Heuer-01 or a tourbillon etc. I can't speak for others, but I think at other sites where there's less of a sense of community, the notion that at the base of it we are all enthusiasts of the same thing, is lost.

Big Adam and imagwai like this.
  3. Big Adam

Big Adam Mar 22, 2017

Well said!

4. BPD

BPD Mar 22, 2017

Well said indeed abrod520!
    And yes, I must admit, calling a group of people douchebags is sometimes not the nicest thing to say....

5. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 22, 2017

That made me laugh more than it probably should have.

As to your question, well I think Rolex and Omega owners definitely have this thing about TAG in particular, perhaps because they are diametrically opposed in their philosophy. TAG's horological achievements seem to be ignored when it comes to comparing brands in favour of blurting out tired waffle about Alec Monopoly and Cara D. Mind you, it's not just Rolex and Omega owners either...::stirthepot::

6. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Mar 22, 2017

I have to say that there is nothing in that collection, except for the blue, skeleton, 43mm Heuer 01, that even vaguely excites me. TBH, I wouldn't buy the blule, skeleton, Heuer 01 either.

It gets up my nose a bit that other brand supporters slag off TH so much but probably don't even understand the horological achievements of Heuer and subsequently TH nor the history of Heuer.

The endless stream of ambassadors is frustrating too because that just seems to fuel the fire of TH hatred. Also, the recent ambassadors do nothing for me, especially Alec Monopoly.

I suspect the Heuer branded, heritage range is where most of us will find the watches (Carreras) we like.

I know JCB has turned things around but I think he has gone too far. The Heuer 01s and 02T should have been replacements for the Grand Carreras which would have justified the visual differences to the classic Carrera.

dtf likes this.
  7. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 22, 2017

Yes, I wonder if it might not have been a good idea to give the new Carrera a different name really, especially as they seem intent on continuing with the older models as well.

8. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Mar 22, 2017

I am a new collector (if i can be categorized as one. I dont use the term collector lightly). But more and more i learned about the brand, the more i like the vintage edition of the heuer brand. It came to the point now where i ONLY WANT heuer vintage theme watch. Sure, it's very easy for me to say, i already owned 2 heuer 01 so no point in adding new one. But i would completely understand the sentiment revolving around heuer vintage. It is something special. To think that i am missing period of time where it was heuer glory days makes me pity myself. I often woke up screaming after having nightmare about it (this part is not so true). I always hope Tag Heuer would provide more heritage edition so i would catch up and preserve the great value for many years to come. Right now the only thing i want branded Tag Heuer is the H02T. The rest, i doubt i would move beyond reedition. I am hooked. I am newly hooked.

abrod520 and dtf like this.
  9. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Mar 22, 2017

Despite the abomination growing on zenith elprimero as well. I got to say, the newly develop movement elprimero 21 is truly a magnificent beast !

Screenshot_20170323-110329.jpg
    erich77 likes this.
  10. calibre11user

calibre11user Mar 23, 2017

This new movement was designed by TAG Heuer's head of engineering, likely with insight from gained from the Carrera Mikrograph.

OttoWilliam likes this.
  11. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Mar 23, 2017

Yap i read it somewhere. Can't deny the end result is magnificent though.

12. Big Adam

Big Adam Mar 23, 2017

The new movement is magnificent.
    The new watches............

abrod520, OttoWilliam and Mr_Orange like this.
  13. dtf

dtf Mar 23, 2017

That feels like a fairly underwhelming basel collection. The h01's are old news, the aquaracer is horribly tacticool and who is the 36mm quartz carrera aimed at?

14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 23, 2017

The Urban Gentry and his skinny wristed ilk!

15. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 23, 2017

Well done Otto, you prove it is possible to declare your love for old Heuer without unnecessarily bashing new TAG Heuer.
    ;)

16. dc42

dc42 Mar 23, 2017

I swing both ways too

17. Squadrone Rosso

Squadrone Rosso Mar 23, 2017

Agreed. I need to get my name down for the Autavia :)

18. BPD

BPD Mar 23, 2017

I know some of you here do not like Rolex but those that do, any thoughts of the new Sea-Dweller? I'm a diver and when it comes to diving watches, I have a soft spot for them. I don't think I would mind adding this to my collection.

[​IMG]

erich77 likes this.
  19. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Mar 23, 2017

When I retire and am too old to work, I'd like to go and design watches for Rolex :cool:

OttoWilliam, Big Adam and dtf like this.
  20. BPD

BPD Mar 23, 2017

I hear you. Sit in your cubicle for 20 years, do nothing, then add a cyclops to the current model and viola! The next big Rolex to sell like fire and getting idiots like me on 5 year waiting list for it. Damn you Rolex!!!! :whipped: