Will your Aquaracer break? A shocking scientific study on the calibre 5

One month into phase 2, field testing in wild extreme conditions. Me and the team of nerdy whorological mega scientists will expose the calibro cinco to Swedish winter, mountain hiking, extremely hard and dangerous tap water, pool swimming, desk working, long hot moist showering among other real life situations putting the calibre to the test, pushing boundaries and embracing the extreme.

Regards
Dr. Jim

Disclaimer: this message is posted solely for your entertainment and only to inform you that you will be able to follow the journey of this calibre inside this sexy Ice Siver shown in the photos. Dr Jim is not an actual doctor, just an overweight guy wearing a watch.

That is a good looking watch Dr Jim! I think the silver/ceramic has to be the pick of the current generation.

That is a good looking watch Dr Jim! I think the silver/ceramic has to be the pick of the current generation.
Thank you sir, I agree wholeheartedly. It is tricky though because it doesn't like to be in front of the camera, those photos look nowhere near as good as it does in person.

Stop it Jim, there might be children reading this
I dont know what kind of freak you are sir, do you take your showers short, cold and dry 🙄

One month into phase 2, field testing in wild extreme conditions. Me and the team of nerdy whorological mega scientists will expose the calibro cinco to Swedish winter, mountain hiking, extremely hard and dangerous tap water, pool swimming, desk working, long hot moist showering among other real life situations putting the calibre to the test, pushing boundaries and embracing the extreme.

Regards
Dr. Jim

Disclaimer: this message is posted solely for your entertainment and only to inform you that you will be able to follow the journey of this calibre inside this sexy Ice Siver shown in the photos. Dr Jim is not an actual doctor, just an overweight guy wearing a watch.
Can I add my science to it as well? - A freezer. My 300 spent 3 weeks inside the ice box at minus 20. I only realised when I checked my wrist some time later and noticed I’d put a fish finger on my wrist the last month.
Results: watch works, fish finger is rubbish at time management but delicious.

Apologies for bringing this one back, but seems the most fitting place.

I just want to clarify what the symptoms of the dreaded Calibre 5 Aquaracer faults are?

Reason being, I haven’t worn mine for a couple of days, so unscrewed the crown to wind and noticed the first couple of half turns felt a bit dry (best way I can describe) then it was ok for about 15 half turns but then high resistance for 1 and I stopped. Now it will turn but I can hear a whirring sound inside. I am able to properly change the time and the date as normal though. It had stopped at about 8am, so can’t be anything to do with the date Wheel changing.

Any ideas on reason and/or whether these symptoms are typical of needing a warranty repair.

Does it sound like it's trying to turn the rotor when you wind it? I believe that's the usual issue (which my wife had with her Oris). The other issue for me was that trying to get the crown in the right places was a nightmare, and even when you find the spot it moves off spot so suddenly you're not moving the date, the crown is doing nothing... this was all with my WAY208C though not the green one

Wasn’t sure earlier, but tried again and that’s exactly what appears to be happening. The other issue I have had for a little while is when you unscrew it, it doesn’t pop into the winding bit after all thread is unscrewed. It immediately does it when turning though. Not had the issue with jumping out of position though and no issues with date or time positions.

I set the time earlier and it appears to have lost 20 secs already this morning. I have reset it to my phone again, just to make sure I set it right. Will check again later.

Is there any chance that this resolve itself when reserve runs lower or is this a guaranteed warranty repair at this stage?

If so, can I just arrange this via my local AD in town or do I need to head to a boutique? Any advantages of either?

Not sure, on the reserve. But I doubt it.
Yeah, I get what you mean, it's like there's another half a position before you get to the winding. And then about 7 more between winding and full out!
You can get round the winding issue by using a winder, because the rotor still probably works - but if it's losing time then it's probably toast.

If it's under warranty then I don't think it matters. You can actually ask TH to send you a return pack.

Time has been fine since last post, but not been long. Tempted to take it off to let it run down a bit, but doesn’t look promising.

It’s 7 months old so well within warranty. Proper light use compared to many on here, so literally down to the movement rather than taken any hits.

Very disappointed this morning.

If it's under warranty then I don't think it matters. You can actually ask TH to send you a return pack.
Can I do this via my AD or does it need to go direct? Just want to make sure that it’s covered value wise.

This wasn’t bought from them, so don’t want to give them hassle either, despite having a good relationship from when I got my Seamaster from them.

I've only returned via a proper TAG owned boutique, but I think that if it's under warranty then you have no problem taking it to them. Out of warranty they will charge you to insure the parcel...

I'm not sure if it's for watches bought elsewhere. I remember the lady in the (not TH owned) boutique telling me people buy watches on cruise ships and then bring them for batteries or repairs and they don't understand that they have to pay like £35 to return it (out of warranty).

Makes sense as the reseller will be fronting that cost or taking the risk, so only fair to do so.

I am assuming that TH covers it all within warranty, so my local AD won’t front that.

I could take a trip to the boutique in Cardiff, but I think they are Goldsmiths / WoS owned anyway.

I think if you submit a warranty claim via the th website, they post you a watch box and special delivery bag, just drop at a post office. At least that’s how it worked a few years back.

At this point in calibre 5 ownership, it’s important to remember the romanticism of automatic movements, they are a demonstration of craftsmanship and the occasional glitch is part of the joy.

I think if you submit a warranty claim via the th website, they post you a watch box and special delivery bag, just drop at a post office. At least that’s how it worked a few years back.

At this point in calibre 5 ownership, it’s important to remember the romanticism of automatic movements, they are a demonstration of craftsmanship and the occasional glitch is part of the joy.
I assume that includes insurance without any cost?

lol at the romanticism. 😀 I can’t even get them to send me the verification link for my email address.

I have called my AD and they have no issue with sorting this out for me, despite me being upfront about not buying it there. Not even the guy I have dealt with, so kudos to them for being lovely and helpful as ever.
Edited:

lol at the romanticism. 😀

i assume so! I honestly didn’t think about it at the time

Yes, sent my Carrera cal 360 several times in like that.

Time has been fine since last post, but not been long. Tempted to take it off to let it run down a bit, but doesn’t look promising.

It’s 7 months old so well within warranty. Proper light use compared to many on here, so literally down to the movement rather than taken any hits.

Very disappointed this morning.
Thanks for reporting! This is why we never never hand wind the calibro 5. I always do the 'shake the watch til' it runs' winding to start mine.

Plenty to read online if googling the issue

https://watchintyme.com/index.php?threads/sellita-sw200-helicopter-effect-spinning-rotor.745206/

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/rotor-spinning-issues-sellita-sw200-1-eta-2824.5373297/

https://www.christopherwardforum.co...k2-yellow-le-has-a-movement-issue-t57677.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/c3qqc9/hamilton_rotor_has_started_spinning_when_watch/

etc...