Will your Aquaracer break? A shocking scientific study on the calibre 5

Interesting idea, but for the first few months my c5 barely left my wrist until it failed and went back for service, so wouldn’t have needed hand winding much. Now it’s a long way down the rotation, so gets wound everytime I wear it, but it still kinda works. Admittedly the winding action feels and sounds like trying to start a $50 Chinese chainsaw, but it does still work.

When it fails next I’ll probably either fit a cosc movement or a quartz replacement. Quartz is tempting because it’s so much that the calibre 5 isn’t: tough, reliable, anti magnetic, accurate.
I would probably have gone for a Quartz if the right one had been around at the time. How easy is a Quartz replacement and what sort of cost to get it done do you reckon?

Certainly feels like that extra grand for a mechanical movement is totally worth it, right?

Certainly feels like that extra grand for a mechanical movement is totally worth it, right?
I could probably sell this one once it’s repaired and save for a bit to get that Quartz. lol

I just checked on mine. Bang in to the second since I set it this morning, despite being off my wrist for a good few hours.

Turned the crown very gently. First half turn felt like normal, second half turn was lighter than normal and third half turn sends the rotor spinning.

I just can’t live with it being like that, as it will weigh on my mind, so will get it sent back tomorrow I think.

Will be back ready for Winter probably.
I totally understand and I would feel very upset too if this happened to me. Summer is finally here and your ultimate summer watch fails you just 7 months after you bought it brand new. That sucks so bad bruh. I shall pray to the whorological gods on your behalf that the fix is a quick one for you. They will probably just put a brand new movement in your watch to save money.

I totally understand and I would feel very upset too if this happened to me. Summer is finally here and your ultimate summer watch fails you just 7 months after you bought it brand new. That sucks so bad bruh. I shall pray to the whorological gods on your behalf that the fix is a quick one for you. They will probably just put a brand new movement in your watch to save money.
Cheers Jim! Fingers crossed.

What about the SW215 which is designed to be a manual wind movement, do you know if similar gear issues are likely to happen on that one? One day I would like to get a watch with that sweet manual wind action

Manual-winders don’t have this issue, so no problem 😀

As I’ve said before it’s even possible to properly modify the movement so this issue doesn’t occur… my Breitling doesn’t have a problem (and keeps absolutely excellent time as the COSC version) and neither does my IWC Mk XVIII

I just checked on mine. Bang in to the second since I set it this morning, despite being off my wrist for a good few hours.

Turned the crown very gently. First half turn felt like normal, second half turn was lighter than normal and third half turn sends the rotor spinning.

I just can’t live with it being like that, as it will weigh on my mind, so will get it sent back tomorrow I think.

Will be back ready for Winter probably.

Just wear it all summer, every day. Then send it back for the winter!

Just wear it all summer, every day. Then send it back for the winter!
It was just pi$$ing me off this morning so it’s been dropped off in Ernest Jones, who kindly sent it for service and repair.

Estimated return 27th September. lol

Rather enjoyed being a one watch kinda guy this morning. Made life a lot easier just picking up the Seamaster to head into the office.

Rather enjoyed being a one watch kinda guy this morning. Made life a lot easier just picking up the Seamaster to head into the office.

Ahh, the ‘BB58 experience’

Went to set my green AR this morning, pulled out the crown all the way to change the time, as soon as I turned the crown it popped out a little more to where I thought it should have been. Gotta love Swiss build quality. I'm not stupid enough to wind it, so I put it in the winder.

Went to set my green AR this morning, pulled out the crown all the way to change the time, as soon as I turned the crown it popped out a little more to where I thought it should have been. Gotta love Swiss build quality. I'm not stupid enough to wind it, so I put it in the winder.
You’re a bad man Rob. 😀

I'm having trouble with my calibre 5 Aquaracer again, this time the crown gear isn't being engaged at all when I wind it.Date setting is fine as is starting it by moving my wrist.
At the same time my Breitling Colt (eta2824) got stiffer to wind and starting spinning the rotor.
Changing the reversing wheels sorted that problem out but I won't be giving either 30 or 40 winds to get them going again.
Edited:

Had a txt from my AD, Ernest Jones, which I mention due to their impeccable service with respect to them.

My Orange beast is back from repair by TAG Heuer in record time. Have to give them credit for that. 16 days turnaround.

Movement feels smoother than new, plus the date window is now central. Wasn’t out by much, but got them to sort that whilst with them. They didn’t refinish the bracelet or clasp, like EJ suggested, but I am fine with that as it stops me considering selling it straight away. 😀

The only question I have relates to the crown itself. The fault is fixed but the same quirk is happening now as when it went in. When you unwind the crown past the threads, it more often than not doesn’t pop out onto the winding location until I start to first turn it. It then immediately pops into place and winds fine. Is this normal and does it matter in real world?

It will be only on wrist or winder from here, so winding won’t be done, but just want to check as the others in the store don’t do this and neither does my Seamaster.

It will be only on wrist or winder from here, so winding won’t be done, but just want to check as the others in the store don’t do this and neither does my Seamaster.

Does yours wind on a winder? Mine stops after a day or so. Tried it on a couple of winders, a basic one with no controls that winds to tags spec, and a fancy one that you can vary what it does. Even turned up all the way, watch still goes flat

Does yours wind on a winder? Mine stops after a day or so. Tried it on a couple of winders, a basic one with no controls that winds to tags spec, and a fancy one that you can vary what it does. Even turned up all the way, watch still goes flat
I believe it did before although, only having 2 watches and alternating regularly, I can’t definitely guarantee that.

I will wear it for a few days to see how I feel about it now I have it back, but will then put it on the winder for 2 or 3 days and let you know.