What is your next purchase? / Wishlist?

Okay, now I think I understand the maxi cases and maxi dials. Learn something new all the time here!

I love your GMT, @stevec14. You posted yours recently while I was wearing my Pepsi Aquaracer, and I was like, no sir, cannot follow that. Ha!

I appreciate the explanation. That was really informative. I now will venture off to try to understand the maxi cases and maxi dials reference and do a little research on those.

I have learned so much about other brands (Omega, Tudor, Rolex, etc.) from all of you on this forum. However, as noted by my last two posts, I have so much more to learn about these other brands.
The one difference with mine to the newer ones was you are able to customise them. I have all 3 aluminium bezel inserts for mine (Pepsi, back and coke), and both bracelet options (oyster and jubilee). It’s like 6 watches in one. They stopped that once the ceramic inserts were introduced.

My perfect twosome would be mine and a BLNR - but I haven’t been able to swing one of those yet - they’re pretty tough to get.

Rolex owner for 3 days 20 ish years ago, gold on a bracelet, just did nothing for me and so many ‘looky looky’ man jokes, made a £1k profit though, these numbers mean nothing to me

Rolex owner for 3 days 20 ish years ago, gold on a bracelet, just did nothing for me and so many ‘looky looky’ man jokes, made a £1k profit though, these numbers mean nothing to me
Fairly clear Rolex isn’t for you then…..in all fairness, I dont like gold on a Rolex much either. Steel only for me.
Edited:

Finally got a chance to try on one of Tudors new releases from W&W23 - Black Bay 'Light Champagne' although this was in the 41mm and not the 36mm I'd look to purchase. Was intrigued to see the dial colour in natural light, as renders online show a greenish hue. I think @Jim Dollares might let me in the church, Will look to pick up for my birthday next year.

JJPSraq.jpg

aV8KRW8.jpg

Coincidentally my nephew is looking to pick up his first watch next year and apart from really liking the BB58 (Who doesn't), he is interested in getting a Tag, he was first looking at this https://www.tagheuer.com/gb/en/time...l#0947b0be60ab00a7019dc70c4a=&start=1.0&sz=15 but I mention it might be too large for him, he's now thinking either https://www.tagheuer.com/gb/en/time...ra/42-mm-calibre-heuer-02/CBN2010.BA0642.html or https://www.tagheuer.com/gb/en/time...39-mm-calibre-5-automatic/WBN2111.BA0639.html
Edited:

I will allow it. Bless you sir.

Easy choice between those three!

Haha he likes the Speedy and thinks it's crazy that I returned one, so I think he wants the sport, but I know this will be too big for him.

Personally the Grey Man is a great first time watch

+1 in favor of the Sport (they really do wear smaller than it would seem). :cautious: :D

@McBeardy, is the Monaco staying with you (hope so)?

+1 in favor of the Sport (they really do wear smaller than it would seem). :cautious: :D

@McBeardy, is the Monaco staying with you (hope so)?

Currently yes it is, although I find I'm experiencing the same annoyance with it as I did when I owned my Panerai, (enjoy wearing it for a day, but glad to put the BB58 of a night).

I'll know by the end of he year if it definitely needs to go (new mortgage and nursey fees) the cash could be handy rather than stretching the bank balance.

I found the 42mm chronos wore very nice, I presume the larger 44mm have the same effect
Edited:

Coincidentally my nephew is looking to pick up his first watch next year and apart from really liking the BB58 (Who doesn't)

:oops:

Finally got a chance to try on one of Tudors new releases from W&W23 - Black Bay 'Light Champagne' although this was in the 41mm and not the 36mm I'd look to purchase. Was intrigued to see the dial colour in natural light, as renders online show a greenish hue. I think @Jim Dollares might let me in the church, Will look to pick up for my birthday next year.

JJPSraq.jpg

aV8KRW8.jpg

Coincidentally my nephew is looking to pick up his first watch next year and apart from really liking the BB58 (Who doesn't), he is interested in getting a Tag, he was first looking at this https://www.tagheuer.com/gb/en/time...l#0947b0be60ab00a7019dc70c4a=&start=1.0&sz=15 but I mention it might be too large for him, he's now thinking either https://www.tagheuer.com/gb/en/time...ra/42-mm-calibre-heuer-02/CBN2010.BA0642.html or https://www.tagheuer.com/gb/en/time...39-mm-calibre-5-automatic/WBN2111.BA0639.html
Those new black bays are pretty nice. I tried a 39 on at the weekend (the anthracite dial) and it wore lovely. With its adjustable clasp, new movement and being (for a Tudor) reasonably finished they look pretty good value to me.

IMG_6843.jpeg

Not dumb at all - So, up to approx 2007 the ref number for the GMT was 16710 - and came in pepsi, Coke and black variants.

post that, the 6 digit models were introduced - maxi cases, maxi dials and ceramic bezels - 116710. Started off with the LN only (black bezel) and was joined in c2013 by the BLNR and then more recently by the Pepsi and the VTNR (green/black left hooker).

similar story with the sub - they were 5 digit 16610 until c2009 and then similar to the GMT the 116610 was born - maxi case, dial and ceramic bezel. The difference with the sub is that it’s gone through a subsequent alteration - up to 41mm and slimmed the fat lugs a bit - 126610

so there you have it. Everyone has a different favourite. For me, I love the 5 digit models - the case proportions are perfect. Other much prefer the newer models for the ceramic bezels, more solid bracelets etc.

mine is a 5 digit - a 2003 model
Little postscript: If you’re wondering how Rolex is coming up with these weird bezel abbreviations for the GMT, you have to unearth your school French… For example:
- LN = lunette noire
- BLNR = (lunette) bleue & noire
- etc. pp.

I grabbed this one while traveling last week. Was mainly drawn towards the dial color, but now actually have to admit that for 10 times less than the cheapest men's Rolex (OP41) or - coincidentally - 20 times less than the new Skeleton Monacos ;), you’re getting a lot of nice watch (form, fit & finish) for your money from the Swatch Group…
eaf31e44-78c1-4d81-82b2-0e4f207ad225-jpeg.5321517

Those new black bays are pretty nice. I tried a 39 on at the weekend (the anthracite dial) and it wore lovely. With its adjustable clasp, new movement and being (for a Tudor) reasonably finished they look pretty good value to me.

IMG_6843.jpeg

Very nice, I like all the colour variations they've released, but feel the anthracite is too near my BB58 with the gilt markers. 39mm would probably be fine, but feel 36mm might be the sweet spot for me, for this style of watch (no bezel - big dial)

I grabbed this one while traveling last week. Was mainly drawn towards the dial color, but now actually have to admit that for 10 times less than the cheapest men's Rolex (OP41) or - coincidentally - 20 times less than the new Skeleton Monacos ;), you’re getting a lot of nice watch (form, fit & finish) for your money from the Swatch Group…
eaf31e44-78c1-4d81-82b2-0e4f207ad225-jpeg.5321517

Intrigued by these, would love a no date version and even non tapissiere dial maybe a few mm smaller also

The 35mm has a non-tapisserie dial. All with date and quartz, though.

The 35mm has a non-tapisserie dial. All with date and quartz, though.

Would need to have no second hand if quartz, or auto for me

I think this will be my next purchase...and if possible, add the red Porsche 18k RS 2.7 LE strap to it or the green strap on the saudia Arabia LE

I think this will be my next purchase...and if possible, add the red Porsche 18k RS 2.7 LE strap to it or the green strap on the saudia Arabia LE
Excellent choice, I've always been a fan of these