The Next Chapter- Interview with JC Biver

The interview with JC Biver is now live. Lots os positives here, although some will be disappointed to hear about the re-edition strategy

https://www.calibre11.com/the-next-chapter-looking-forward-with-jean-claude-biver/

TAG-Heuer-Connected-Modular-45-Press-Conference-26-1080x535.jpg

Glad to see the modular concept will be extending to the general collection; my previous speculation on this forum was dead on! :cool:

Since Biver is open for the market driving the trend, I'd say let's keep demanding more heritage variants and models. I still don't want to give up hope on the Camaro.

Otherwise, let's push for classical 3-subdial Carreras with the Heuer-02 movement!

I do love the Camaro...but unfortunately Longines got there first, even though their original 1973 watch was based on the Camaro!
LONGINES_HERITAGE_1973_DIAL2.jpg

My assumption is that this means that the Monza is now part of the regular range...and I still expect that the Calibre 12 Monaco models will be discontinued, leaving only the Calibre 11.

If that's the case, then I may need to pursue that Longines!

I've said it before, just give us a ~41mm 'Heuer' branded Carrera with a Heuer-02 movement with these same lines, proportions and most Carrera fans will be thrilled. Add an inverse panda color and they'll keep hitting record profits.
365068-06c62e39014352d0cff5b093abfced37.jpg

Great interview, thanks.

I'm not sure I agree with Biver that the modular concept is "genius". But maybe I'm wrong and there are loads of people who want to switch up their lugs or add a diamond or two every now and then.

Personally, I think it compromises the design and the modern Carreras have lost what I would describe as one of the most recognisable and beautiful shaped cases on the market.

I actually kind of agree that we don't need too many heritage lines. They've chosen the best 4 in Monza, Carrera, Monaco and Autavia. What I would like to see is a bit more variation in the line-up of those models though, including a more traditionally sized version! I think there's no question that I would instantly buy a panda or reverse panda Carrera which was 39mm or less. Omega and Tudor have both had success with smaller sizes so I can't be alone in this.

I guess the question is whether Biver truly wants heritage or whether he is tying to synchronise them with the modern brand image just a bit more.

Reading between the lines, I have the impression JC Biver is not fond of the past, and would rather have Tag Heuer as an avant-guardiste watch maker with a more modern approaches that would distinguish it from everything else.

The key phrase there for me is his reference to trends.

To keep the company healthy, which is what it is all about, you should be leading the trends, not merely following them. You have to make things that people who have not bought one before, want to buy.

The reality is that the classic style watch buying crowd is a minority and the style of watches they buy are by their nature conservative, old-fashioned, more mature and ultimately, more anonymous. What good is it if they make five watches that I would buy one of each if they can make one watch that I wouldn't buy but 100 others would?

If the result is that 99% of their product isn't to my liking, so be it, as long as I can still get my Classic Carrera, I'm happy.

The vintage watch thing is interesting, in particular the mention of parts. It is implied that they have archived stock, which makes sense knowing how watch companies are with old/legacy parts in hidden basements/lifts/vaults/boxes leaning up against a shelf. The question I have is whether they would be committed to making parts o which they have old stock?

I recall a conversation with a Rolex guy a few years about them starting a historic/vintage certification service, much like Ferrari's Passport thing where they can/will restore vintage watches to factory spec and provide proof/certification for it. The concept is very appealing to me, especially as it means franken watches might be less of a worry if I know the questionable 20% could be rectified and rhen certified by the manufacturer as being "authentic" with a record and similar passport.

And finally, thank you David for sneaking in a question about the old dive watch.

Thanks for this interview David, a shame it wasn't a video as JCB is always entertaining to listen to, but still, much appreciated. I agree that maybe TAG should look to the early days of the company (ie the 1980s) for inspiration and reissue/redesign, not sure how I feel about the modular design thing... it could be great, but I hope they design out the horrible - I don't even know what to call them, the bits that stick out at the top and bottom.

Thanks for this interview David, a shame it wasn't a video as JCB is always entertaining to listen to, but still, much appreciated. I agree that maybe TAG should look to the early days of the company (ie the 1980s) for inspiration and reissue/redesign, not sure how I feel about the modular design thing... it could be great, but I hope they design out the horrible - I don't even know what to call them, the bits that stick out at the top and bottom.
If you mean these, then I absolutely agree these must go. I can live with the bottom one under protest (as it was on the original Connected), but the top one ruins the whole look.
upload_2017-5-13_14-3-50.png

Yes Hubert, that's exactly what I'm talking about. ::puke::
I hate those, but the top one is just awful! They need to do something about them. I've thought about potential "fixes" by changing the vertical placement (these need to be lower than the bezel) and doing them in different materials (may be a soft rubber). Exploring those two options would be a good start, but they definitely need to refine them, or come up with a different solution. I realize these are needed to hide the "modular lock mechanisms", but their current implementation is not up-to-par with the rest of the design.

Reading between the lines, I have the impression JC Biver is not fond of the past, and would rather have Tag Heuer as an avant-guardiste watch maker with a more modern approaches that would distinguish it from everything else.

I think that is true if you talk about the recent TAG Heuer past- he is very appreciative of Heuer's past. I don't mind if there is a collection made up of avant garde pieces, so long as there are also some heritage style options to balance things out- and heritage doesn't have to mean "re-edition" or a Heuer labelled watch, it might be a TAG Heuer Carrera that is more classical in style

The key phrase there for me is his reference to trends.

To keep the company healthy, which is what it is all about, you should be leading the trends, not merely following them. You have to make things that people who have not bought one before, want to buy.

The reality is that the classic style watch buying crowd is a minority and the style of watches they buy are by their nature conservative, old-fashioned, more mature and ultimately, more anonymous. What good is it if they make five watches that I would buy one of each if they can make one watch that I wouldn't buy but 100 others would?

If the result is that 99% of their product isn't to my liking, so be it, as long as I can still get my Classic Carrera, I'm happy.

The vintage watch thing is interesting, in particular the mention of parts. It is implied that they have archived stock, which makes sense knowing how watch companies are with old/legacy parts in hidden basements/lifts/vaults/boxes leaning up against a shelf. The question I have is whether they would be committed to making parts o which they have old stock?

I recall a conversation with a Rolex guy a few years about them starting a historic/vintage certification service, much like Ferrari's Passport thing where they can/will restore vintage watches to factory spec and provide proof/certification for it. The concept is very appealing to me, especially as it means franken watches might be less of a worry if I know the questionable 20% could be rectified and rhen certified by the manufacturer as being "authentic" with a record and similar passport.

And finally, thank you David for sneaking in a question about the old dive watch.

yes, it's a bit of a mystery where these parts came from. The official line is that they went through the boxes and archives and found them...very possible, but TAG Heuer have only been in their building for a few years. I suspect that in addition to finding and cataloguing better what they had, they also did a deal with someone like ChronoSwiss. The founder of ChronoSwiss used to work for Heuer and when we left was paid his entitlements in parts rather than cash...smart move.

That's why you see ChronoSwiss Camaros, etc. I've long wondered if this is the not the source of many of the NOS Autavia Diver 100s...but have no evidence to support this theory.

Interesting interview as always.

I tend to agree that an endless stream of heritage reissues of every heritage model would not work.

Still #savethecarrera. Unless this happens, it is likely that my only future TAG Heuer purchases will be second hand.