Tag Heuer Kirium Chronometer WL5215 - green dial

I scratched a long-held itch about 18 months ago when I bought a Kirium. 18 months later I get into fitness trackers and now have a smartwatch. I don't need two watches so I'm looking to sell the Kirium, but it's an unusual piece so I'm having a bit of trouble getting an idea of valuation.

It has a smaller face with a green dial and is stamped WL5215. The only watch that shows up in my Googling for WL5215 is mine, from the original listing.

The COSC certificate number is 1669194 and movement number 139585.

I bought for £650. Be interested to know if that's still a reasonable valuation.

Hmm. Hate to say that I'm not convinced that this one is genuine- be interested in others' view though as I'm not 100%. The problem is the reference number. As you see below, the correct reference code for a mid-sized Green dial Chronometer is WL5212. Would you be able to post the Chronometer certificate?

It's the last number in the reference number that indicates the dial, so it's possible that you have a different Green model than the standard one in the catalogue.

These watches should have a combination of polished and brushed finishes, but yours (albeit worn) looks to only be brushed. Some of the finishing is not what I'd expect, even allowing for wear...for example, the bracelet and the bezel.

1999-dealer-0075-960x678.jpg

1999-dealer-0078-960x678.jpg

I'm no expert but I have got a Kirium F1, and I have to agree the quality doesn't look right to me either.

Hmm, now I am slightly concerned, although I thought I'd done enough due diligence during the purchasing not to be!

I've attached pictures of the certificate below, together with the waterproof sealing certificate and the last service certificate.

I bought the watch from an eBay seller (my_tag) with a 100% positive seller rating over 80+ items. I did have an early issue with the watch stopping and the seller had it looked at by a horologist without additional charge (I've had no problems since), as well as offering to refund without being asked, so I'm pretty sure he's reputable.

I have today found one other site that refers to WL5215 Kiriums (http://www.chealwatch.com/Tag/Tag.htm ) so it may just be a very unusual version. Anyway pics attached below.

So I guess I have two questions now! First, assuming it is genuine, what would be a realistic valuation? and second, if not, what are my options?

I'm not certain either, but I reckon it's genuine and potentially refinished/brushed. The caseback looks polished too. How about opening the caseback and showing the movement?

Given the condition, I'd say £650 is a little optimistic.

Thanks. Just managed to hunt down the original listing here http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAG-Heuer-Mens-KIRIUM-Automatic-Chronometer-Watch-WL5215-/171835168107. I paid the listing price of £625 not £650 and I'm not after turning a profit, just getting a fair price on a watch I won't wear anymore, so I'd be happy with whatever is the fair valuation.

It was sold as "close to mint" and I wore it for about a year, I'm no expert on what defines mint / excellent / good so any guidance is welcome. It's pressure sealed and I've never opened it (or any Tag, I'm not a collector) so I'd rather not open it. Thanks for the feedback though!

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Thanks. Just managed to hunt down the original listing here http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAG-Heuer-Mens-KIRIUM-Automatic-Chronometer-Watch-WL5215-/171835168107. I paid the listing price of £625 not £650 and I'm not after turning a profit, just getting a fair price on a watch I won't wear anymore, so I'd be happy with whatever is the fair valuation.

It was sold as "close to mint" and I wore it for about a year, I'm no expert on what defines mint / excellent / good so any guidance is welcome. It's pressure sealed and I've never opened it (or any Tag, I'm not a collector) so I'd rather not open it. Thanks for the feedback though!
Thanks- the finishing in those photos is much more in line with what I'd expect to see. Looks to be from a relaible seller too.

Based on this, I'd say that it is genuine, but just a different shade of Green to the model I linked to above

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Quite strange...there are quite a few of these with a very similar dark green dial, but they're all WL5212

imgrc0073048170.jpg

One thing which puzzles me about the Kirium is that the casebacks in photos like these always look very 'rough' (for want of a better word) compared to my F1 Kirium which is very nicely done. It always makes me suspect fakery but there's so many on eBay that look like that and they can't all be fake. Was the caseback on earlier / cheaper models quite different? Mine is similar to the photo below but it has some text across the middle saying 'Official Sponsor of the Formula One World Championship' or something like that.

I believe you are taking your photos with the flash enabled.
It is distorting the watch and adding more wear then there is to it.

Try photos in ambient / broad day light, and the watch will look closer to reality.

I believe you are taking your photos with the flash enabled.
It is distorting the watch and adding more wear then there is to it.

Try photos in ambient / broad day light, and the watch will look closer to reality.

Thanks for the advice. Have taken some shots in ambient light and it looks better I think.
@Calibre11 , do I need to do anything further to validate the authenticity before selling it?

Thanks for the advice. Have taken some shots in ambient light and it looks better I think.
@Calibre11 , do I need to do anything further to validate the authenticity before selling it?

I'd agree that taking off the caseback and grabbing a couple of photos of the movement would be a good step

Looks fine.

I can't explain your reference number other than to speculate that it must be a different shade of green to the standard model featured in the catalogues (for example, a limited edition for a particular market)

Looks fine.

I can't explain your reference number other than to speculate that it must be a different shade of green to the standard model featured in the catalogues (for example, a limited edition for a particular market)
Thanks! Going to post it on the marketplace forum, appreciate your advice!