Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 19, 2015

5000 CHF? That's indeed rather impressive considering, normally special edition / skeleton type pieces you're expecting the price to go north significantly. Is part of JCB's strategy to end the discounting (ie. the disparity between MSRP and "street price" after the AD's discount) or is there likely to still be wiggle room in store below retail?

2. dtf

dtf Mar 19, 2015

DC - have you seen this in the metal? If so, how does it look? Is it cluttered or stunning?

3. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Mar 19, 2015

4. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 19, 2015

These live shots were winning me over, until I realized the TH logo is on the crystal. Printed.png

5. elbeik

elbeik Mar 20, 2015

It's worth the fap.

The logo engraving / screening on the crystal reminds me of Chopard's Mille Miglia watches, with numbers on the crystal.

6. Pell031

Pell031 Mar 20, 2015

I too found that logo off putting, I wonder if the production model might end up different? The date indicator could be a tad easier to read as well.

I'm liking this design the more I look at it, not one I'd personally wear, but I'm now at least appreciating it. In car terms, it sort of reminds me of the SLS AMG. While the styling is a bit 'out there' I'd damn sure love to take it for a spin on a track.

7. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 20, 2015

These real-life pictures are really starting to win me over. At first I didn't like the skeleton choice at all, but now, I am starting to warm up to the new direction.
    [​IMG]

8. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 26, 2015

This article shows some new pictures and makes some interesting predictions on the expected production changes:
    http://timeandtidewatches.com/hands-on-the-tag-heuer-carrera-heuer-01/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 28, 2015

10. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 31, 2015

11. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Apr 1, 2015

Some great shots there, especially the ones from my friends at Time+Tide

12. elbeik

elbeik Apr 1, 2015

I can't wait to see what first limited edition of these will look like.
    Perhaps next year? I'm trying to save :)

13. dtf

dtf Apr 1, 2015

Im quite looking forward to seeing one of these in the metal, but I think I'd always feel like I was wearing a poor-mans Heuer-02 :( Do wonder if they have killed a bunch of their market by releasing both at once - I might have bought one of these if I liked them, but now I'll definitely be holding out until i find $15k behind the sofa :D

14. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Apr 1, 2015

Certainly a lot of similarities between the two, although given the tourbillon will be 3X the price, I reckon there'll be distinct markets for both.

Still wondering how they're going to deliver a tourbillon to market at that price- pretty special.

Can I come and move your sofa? ;)

15. dtf

dtf Apr 1, 2015

I guess I tend to forget that the majority of $5k watches are bought by people who want a shiney watch, not watch geeks who will be looking at the tourbillion with stary eyes trying to figure out how they can explain to the wife how they are about to spend 3x more than one that looks kinda similar.

Lol sure, join the endless procession of mates sleeping there!

16. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 1, 2015

Still kind of getting my head around the new pricing regime, if I was in the market for a $5k watch, in all honesty this is looking very very good. But I'd still save up the other 10k for the tourbillon.

17. drunken monkey

drunken monkey Apr 1, 2015

I'm trying to picture it on a normal strap without that lug end-piece.
    I really don't like them.

18. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Apr 1, 2015

Yes, now that we know the Heuer-02 is in the works that alone makes this one less appealing.

19. drunken monkey

drunken monkey Apr 2, 2015

Well, you mustn't forget that if it is built on the 1969/CH80 platform then it is modular in design.
    The Mikro movements also followed this approach which was what allowed them to produce working concepts of what is essentially the same watch but powered by a different escapement so quickly.
    It follows that it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to "simply" fit their tourbillon into the 1969/CH80 so actual development costs would be limited to packaging of things that are already past proof of concept.

The other thing not to be forget is that the CH80 was originally meant to be a movement that was comparable to the existing 7750 and 1887, in terms of performance and in price.

It all adds up.

Considering how much exploratory development has been done on things before the current strategy was implemented, I'd say Tagheuer are in a pretty good place if/when they decide to step forward again.

...where they might end up in terms of design though...

That I'm not so sure about.