Forums Latest Members
  1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Mar 17, 2015

2. WillMK5

WillMK5 Mar 17, 2015

Not really sure what to think. First impression was a letdown, mainly because I was hoping for a more traditional, 3-6-9 layout.

3. Calibre11

Yes, I was surprised given what JC Biver said only a couple of weeks ago...but maybe that version is still coming

4. WillMK5

WillMK5 Mar 17, 2015

I really hope so, this is too big and too flashy for what I was hoping for.

5. Calibre11

Layout doesn't bother me as much on a skeleton dial, as it's hard to see the differences!

As I wrote in the post, I like the direction of the Heuer-01. If TAG Heuer can keep putting out heritage pieces like the Calibre 18 Carrera, as well as doing progressive designs like this one, it seems to me to be a good balance

6. WillMK5

WillMK5 Mar 17, 2015

Good point. I was hoping to get both, a new movement in a heritage piece.

45mm Hublot look alike is too far away from what I like.

7. imagwai

imagwai Mar 17, 2015

I quite like it, but no way could I wear such a thing. Way too big and ostentatious for me, but I prefer it to Hublot et al as it relys on some classic Carrera design language rather than being completely off the wall.

8. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 17, 2015

While new designs are always welcomed, this one seems to have too much of JC Biver's influence and his taste from Hublot in it. Pass...

Edited Mar 17, 2015
  9. Pell031

Pell031 Mar 17, 2015

I agree with the sentiment above. While I appreciate the boldness of it all and like the idea of having the goal of differentiation, I don't much care for skeleton dials. There's a lot going on with this watch, yet it all seems hidden by color choices.

10. Calibre11

I don't understand what is happening with the end-pieces/ lugs- that's the part I'm keen to see

11. drunken monkey

drunken monkey Mar 17, 2015

This sorta explains why there are so many Heuer models compared to usual.
    Is this where we see the two brandings diverge?

Oh.
    I see I got the thing about the date wheel correct. I still don't recognises that rack part though but at least now I know where to look.

12. Calibre11

Don't know. Many of the "Heuer" models were developed during the Linder-era, although JC Biver did say he liked the idea of continuing with Heuer models.

I reckon the divergence is between watches using in-house movements and those using external movements. While traditionally they've looked "the same", they certainly won't in the future.

13. dtf

dtf Mar 17, 2015

It's stunning, but too fussy for a skeleton movement. It's an interesting direction thou, not sure it should really be labeled carrera given how different it is.

14. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 17, 2015

I don't mind this one bit, as long as the pricing is reasonable it does create something a bit different and sort of fitting considering Carrera and its racing heritage.

15. Hubert

Jack Heuer designed the original Carrera to offer precise and efficient readouts of dials. He has spoken extensively about the subject and how the Modernist movement influenced him to pursue minimalist design and simplicity in the purest form. Everything he learned from them, combined with the Engineering techniques for efficient dials, lead him and his team, to the "clean" design of the original Carrera, which made readings accurate and efficient for motor-sport use.

While this piece has some Carrera inspired lines, its skeleton and elaborate design, complicate the readouts, instead if making them simpler. For this reason, classifying this new piece under the Carrera line, can be argued is not true to its origin. Therefore, in my humble opinion, this would have been better served under its own line.

Edited Mar 17, 2015
    imagwai likes this.
  16. Calibre11

Agree with some of these thoughts Hubert- to me, this is the equivalent of the Monaco V4 to the original 1133B. Of course it is not as pure as the late 60s designs, but I do think it shows the same "boldness" as the original.

And importantly, this is not the look of all models...this is the "statement" model

17. Hubert

Thank you David. Yes, I agree with you and also considered the V4 when writing my comments, since it could be easily used as a counterpoint to these arguments. You said right, although this may not be a purist design, it's all about making a bold statement.

18. deluxxe247

deluxxe247 Mar 17, 2015

I think this looks awesome. Can't wait to try one on even though it might be too big for my small wrist. JCB is correct when he states that the 1887 should look different than the other ETA/Sellita Carreras. The pricing is phenomenal. Prior to JCB, this model would have retailed for probably $7,900.

19. elbeik

elbeik Mar 18, 2015

When I first saw it last night, instagram photos of Hublot / AP's with half a dozen bracelets and an Hermes belt popped into mind.

It looses the Carrera's elegance and sobriety.
    Yes, it is modern and revolutionary, and we have yet to see live images of it to better judge. Maybe it will "grow" on us.

Still having mixed feelings about it.

20. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Mar 19, 2015

Agree that the pricing is one of the main stories here...