TAG Heuer Bamford x Ikuzawa

A little background story on my TAG Heuer x Team Ikuzawa by Bamford. After kicking myself for not buying last year's Carrera x Blue Porsche RS 2.7, I was immediately taken with this Ikuzawa release. It pushed many of my same buttons and the JPY price was fairly reasonable in USD. On top of that, the watch was announced on my birthday. A clear sign that I needed this watch. Only problem, this was a Japan only release.

But with divine intervention from a good friend in Japan, who acted as my advocate, a Japan TH boutique agreed to sell me the watch and ship it overseas. This all happened within the first week of release, before they sold out. Then came one issue after another and delay after delay. At one point, I thought the watch had been lost or possibly stolen. However each hurdle was eventually cleared and in the end this watch was meant for me. The perfect BD gift to myself for 2023. 😀

A few shots of my box set.
Congrats; nice addition!

Thanks guys!

Funny you should ask that question Jim. I'm wearing it today, but I'm looking for other strap alternatives. If TAG makes a replacement for it, I'll use it. BTW, it's not leather. I'm not sure what it is, I read it's supposed to be like the Nomex material used on professional racing gloves. But seems a little different to me.

Here's some pics.

I like the look on a rally strap too. Here's some shots with my Monaco strap. I've ordered a red leather rally strap, which I think will be fun.

I also bought this Omega NATO strap specifically for it. Not sure if I'll keep it though. It makes the watch sit very tall and the red stripe might be a much.

But I do really like it on the bracelet as well.

What do you guys think? Which look do you prefer?
Team NATO for me.

Great catch sir @Mspeedster ! True JDM x Porsche Motorsport pedigree!
Thanks JP!

Indeed. Ikuzawa was the first Japanese driver to compete at the Le Mans 24hrs. In my favorite JDM brand, a rotary powered Mazda Sigma MC73. Which was also sponsored by your favorite brand Toyota, look at the rear wing.

He also had a class win in the '67 Nurburgring 500 KM. Driving your other favorite brand, a Honda S800.

Such good motorsport history indeed! 👍

I never knew about this and quite proves he’s truly a top racer during his prime 👍

Yes Toyota & Honda are still my favorites 😉😉

Such good motorsport history indeed! 👍

I never knew about this and quite proves he’s truly a top racer during his prime 👍

Yes Toyota & Honda are still my favorites 😉😉
Some other fun facts:
In the '64 Japanese GP, Ikuzawa drove a Skyline and over took the leading Porsche 904 for the race lead. Although he eventually lost to the Porsche, that race is now known as the beginning of the Skyline's legend. The car everyone knows today as the Nissan GT-R.

Also, Ikuzawa was the first Japanese to become a works factory Porsche driver. His co-drivers at Watkins Glen in '68 were none other than Jo Siffert and Hans Herrmann.

It’s very clear, from your posts in this thread, just how important both hobbies are to you. It’s been a very interesting read, on both the motorsport background and the photos of the piece itself, thank you.

Thanks JP!
Indeed. Ikuzawa was the first Japanese driver to compete at the Le Mans 24hrs. In my favorite JDM brand, a rotary powered Mazda Sigma MC73. Which was also sponsored by your favorite brand Toyota, look at the rear wing.
]

From the shirt logo, you can clearly see the Greek letter “Sigma” which is known today as SARD (Sigma Advance Racing Development) Famous for tuning TOYOTA Race Cars (same as TRD/TOMS)

SARD Racing is still very active in the current Super GT (GT500) using the A90 Supra.

Ikuzawa was clearly a top Japanese driver for the big manufacturers since he raced and drove with Mazda, Honda and Prince (Datsun/Nissan) race cars 👍

From the shirt logo, you can clearly see the Greek letter “Sigma” which is known today as SARD (Sigma Advance Racing Development) Famous for tuning TOYOTA Race Cars (same as TRD/TOMS)

SARD Racing is still very active in the current Super GT (GT500) using the A90 Supra.

Ikuzawa was clearly a top Japanese driver for the big manufacturers since he raced and drove with Mazda, Honda and Prince (Datsun/Nissan) race cars 👍
I didn't know that SARD was formerly Sigma. We learn something new every day. 😎

It’s very clear, from your posts in this thread, just how important both hobbies are to you. It’s been a very interesting read, on both the motorsport background and the photos of the piece itself, thank you.
The pleasure is mine, thank you.

I've decided to keep the Omega NATO after all. The look is growing on me.

I still prefer the Team Ikuzawa strap, but I'm too paranoid to use it daily unless I can get a spare to keep pristine. My TH Boutique told me they can't order the strap in the US, since it's Japan only. So next I'll check with the Japan Boutique to see if it's possible.

Team strap definitely looks the best, but that Omega one looks pretty good too.

I like the NATO strap sir 👍 Looks really cool and reminds me of the JDM wakaba rising sun flag in Japan 😎

Team strap definitely looks the best, but that Omega one looks pretty good too.
I like the NATO strap sir 👍 Looks really cool and reminds me of the JDM wakaba rising sun flag in Japan 😎
Thanks!

@kappa_md, yeah and I also get racing vibes. It reminds me of the racing suit that Mai wore at Goodwood, Tetsu also wore a similar racing suit with red stripes back in the day too.

This is cool. Porsche Cayman 718 GT4 tribute to Ikuzawa's Porsche 906 Japan GP winner.
I'd take this one over the GT4 Carrera Panamericana edition. 😎

Wonder about a red leather rally strap to balance the white, wouldn’t get so marked maybe, photoshop heroes?
My red rally arrived. Not sure how I feel about it yet. My initial reaction is it's RED alright. 😜