Forums Latest Members
  1. YG_Rulz

YG_Rulz Sep 5, 2022

So the GPHG 2022 nominations are in and there are a few Tag Heuer entries there:
    1. Iconic timepiece category - Monaco X Gulf (CBL2115)
    2. Divers timepiece category - Aquaracer Professional 1000 Superdiver (WBP5A8A)
    3. Jewellery timepiece category: Carrera Plasma Diamant (CBN5A90)
    4. Challenge timepiece category: Aquaracer Professional 200 Solargraph (WBP1112)

I think the Carrera Diamant is a worthy candidate in the Jewellery category for sure.
    gphg2022_monaco_x_gulf_001.jpg gphg2022_aquaracer_superdiver_001.jpg gphg2022_carrera_plasma_001.jpg gphg2022_aquaracer_professional_200_001.jpg

Edited Sep 5, 2022
    dtf, kappa_md, Remo and 3 others like this.
  2. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Sep 5, 2022

Nice to see TAG Heuer represented again.

My fingers are crossed for the Monaco Gulf, my favorite TH release of this year so far.

3. RushDom

RushDom Sep 5, 2022

It’s a cool looking watch, the Gulf Monaco - other than that hideously appalling 60 at the top of the dial. My brain immediately sees PowerPoint WordArt

dtf and Mspeedster like this.
  4. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Sep 5, 2022

Yes, it's good that they are nominated in multiple categories. However, after having seen both the SuperDiver and the new Gulf Monaco in the metal, those are a pass for me. I was truly leaning on getting them both, but their design weak-points bother me too much. Same with the new Autavias.

dtf likes this.
  5. Jemagloh

Jemagloh Sep 5, 2022

@Hubert, after seeing one in person (which I have not at this point), what were the primary negatives for you with regard to the Superdiver?

Edited Sep 5, 2022
  6. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Sep 6, 2022

Despite being titanium, the watch is heavy. The dial also struck me as smaller than in the pictures. And the finish of the hands looks plasticky to my eye. Overall, the whole package could have been refined a bit more. I would much rather have this Omega.

7. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Sep 6, 2022

The 60 seems worse in renders, in person it didn't bother me much. I think its starburst blue dial is the nicest I've seen on a Monaco thus far.
    20220630_190047.jpg

8. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Sep 6, 2022

The 60 wasn't that bad, but I wasn't impressed by the blue dial when I saw it in the metal. Maybe it was the store's lights, but I didn't find it compelling.

I was hoping for something like my other Gulf.
    [​IMG]

Albert-AMG, dtf and Mspeedster like this.
  9. Jemagloh

Jemagloh Sep 6, 2022

I like the color on both the Gulfs above, but I do wish the sunray effect went beyond the circular minutes track on the H02 version.

Mspeedster likes this.
  10. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Sep 6, 2022

It's really hard to judge under the harsh bright lights of most stores. I haven't seen the First Victory in person, so I can't say for sure. But from certain pics & videos, I feel the H02 Gulf's dial color might be nicer than the CAW211T's to my eyes & taste. I was impressed when I saw it in person, but I've decided I've got enough Monacos in my collection.

Regardless of their flaws, I just hope TAG Heuer can win one of these awards. Their last win was with the Monza, about 6 years ago IIRC. That's too long without without a win.

Hubert likes this.
  11. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Sep 6, 2022

Of all the nominees, this one is the coolest! :cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thingziliketoo, dtf and Hubert like this.
  12. kappa_md

kappa_md Sep 6, 2022

I can’t totally recall but I read from somewhere that you need to pay alot in order to be included in the list for the GHPG Awards. There were previous years where TAG Heuer have just 1 or no entries at all. Although I have utmost respect to the award giving body/jurors, I can’t help but think there’s also a political/financial side in this.

VirgileF and Jim Dollares like this.
  13. kappa_md

kappa_md Sep 6, 2022

Albert-AMG and Mspeedster like this.
  14. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Sep 7, 2022

They do have to pay, but it doesn't seem like a lot relative to the amount these brands spend on marketing.
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/you-asked-us-why-dont-i-see-some-of-the-big-brands-at-the-gphg/
    --
    At this stage of the process, an Academy member can propose any brand he or she likes to see nominated. All entries are anonymized but do get verified by the GPHG organization. Then, the brands proposed are approached by GPHG to confirm their participation. In addition, brands that have not been proposed by the Academy members are allowed to submit a watch to the selection. In case a brand decided to participate, they need to pay CHF 700 per candidate. When a brand does not want to participate, the watch is not added to the selection, despite the popularity of a watch among Academy members.

Then, when watches have been selected and brands confirmed participation, the first voting round starts. In this first round, Academy members select six watches per category and allocate points to each pick. The highest number of points to assign to a watch is 6, and the lowest is 1. As a result, there will be six watches in each category, totaling 84 nominated watches. The nominated watches take part in the rest of the GPHG competition and in the various exhibitions. In case a watch makes it through the first round and gets nominated, the brand needs to pay a single flat-rate confirmation fee of CHF 6,000 per watch.
    --

thingziliketoo and kappa_md like this.
  15. kappa_md

kappa_md Sep 7, 2022

Oh! Thanks for the detailed selection process sir Michael :thumbsup: Learning something new and great today ;)

Mspeedster likes this.
  16. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Sep 7, 2022

Kinda like car manufacturers buying lots of advertising in a magazine doing a road test, but more subtle?

Jim Dollares likes this.
  17. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 7, 2022

Small change really...

18. kappa_md

kappa_md Sep 7, 2022

I do hope this year, TAG Heuer brings home the GHPG bacon :D:p

19. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Sep 8, 2022

But does anyone rush out and buy a watch because it’s won a award? Bit like an ambassador wearing something, you might like them but the watch could be a mess.

VirgileF likes this.
  20. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Sep 8, 2022

Probably not, but it's more that they can put GPHG award winners 2022 on their catalogues etc. I mean no one buys a watch because it wins COCO watch of the year, but it's still highly prestigious for the brand... :D