Tag Heuer aquaracer GMT pepsi

hi everyone. For my next purchase I would like a gmt watch and I’ve narrowed it down to an aqua racer Pepsi or a omega seamaster 50th anniversary. I tried on a Tudor black bay gmt but didn’t like it. I already have a new seamaster and aqua racer and know they are both waterproof but not sure on a 20 year plus omega. When I went on HODINKEE to look at reviews on tag heuer gmt it seemed many people said it was not a real gmt and they were not great watches. I thought I would ask people’s opinion on here before I spend £2000.
Thanks chris

Do they mean the GMT hand is connected to the hour hand?

Do they mean the GMT hand is connected to the hour hand?
I think they mean it can’t be set independently

People get very hung up about what type of gmt it is. The reality is both work just fine.

I thought the purpose of GMT watch is the GMT hand is connected to the hour hand.

I could be wrong though.

I own blue and red Aquaracer (personally reserving name like "pepsi", "batman" strictly for Rolex only). The GMT hand can be set independently, it is set by an hour incremental though. I am not sure about other GMT. This is the only GMT watch i got.

For a diver GMT, yes it was quite okay. But i don't never own other GMT to compare.

Own it for almost a year now and still haven't got over the honeymoon period.

I thought the purpose of GMT watch is the GMT hand is connected to the hour hand.

I could be wrong though.

I own blue and red Aquaracer (personally reserving name like "pepsi", "batman" strictly for Rolex only). The GMT hand can be set independently, it is set by an hour incremental though. I am not sure about other GMT. This is the only GMT watch i got.

For a diver GMT, yes it was quite okay. But i don't never own other GMT to compare.

Own it for almost a year now and still haven't got over the honeymoon period.

I'm not sure what the 'other' type of GMT is - but as I understand it - the GMT hand in the watch rotates once every 24 hours (not 12), and you turn the bezel (with 24 hour markers) so that the GMT hand points at the current 'hour' on the bezel.

So - although the 12 hour hand is pointing at 10 (say) and it's set to Greenwich Mean Time (London) - you can set the Bezel 5 hours 'back' and the GMT hand would then point at 05 to give you the time in New York. So - when the 12 hour hand moves to 11 (1/12th of the circumference of the dial) - the GMT hand only moves 1/24th of the circumference to point to 06.

At least - that's my understanding..... I might be completely wrong!

Correct, although some gmt watches allow 1/2" hour increments for half hour time zones.

The difference between a 'true gmt' and a 'terrible tag gmt' is they way they are set.

True gmt watches are effectively a three hand watch using the gmt hand, and the 'main' hour hand moves in hour increments relative to the gmt hand. You set the gmt hand to gmt and then move the hour hand to your local timezone.

Terrible tag gmt watches are exactly the same, except the main hour hand and gmt adjustment is switched, the gmt hand moves in hour chunks relative to the main hour hand.

The advantage of true gmt is you can change the local time when you shift timezones, without stopping or changing the minutes of the watch. I think this is mostly something for rolex owners to sneer at other brands about, it probably only matters if you change timezone a lot on a single trip, like lots of short-haul across the US.

For me, it makes no difference because one hand is always set to local time and the other is set to a meaningful remote time zone.

Reading this and by coincidence wearing a gmt, on mine the gmt mirrors the hour hand except at half speed, it is set independly of the hour hand jumping in hour sections. Jings, would you believe it, minute/hour hands aligned.
Edited:

dtf is absolutely correct in describing the two different types of GMT. In either case, one hand slaves off the other hand through a jumping clutch.

In the case of a "Travelers" GMT, the 24 hour hand is driven by the minute wheel and the 12 hour hand is driven through the clutch. You set the 24 hour hand along with the minute hand in position 3 (hacking position). The 12 hour hand also moves in position three.

When you move to position 2, the 12 hour hand jumps from hour to hour (or half hour, depending on the clutch design) and the movement continues to run.

The idea is that you set the 24 hour hand and minute hand to true GMT and, assuming it never stops, the 24 hour hand always represents GMT. When you change timezones, you use position 2 and change the 12 hour hand without having to stop or hack the watch).

The "Callers" GMT does the opposite, the 24 hour hand jumps in position 2. In order to set the 12 hour hand, the watch must be hacked.

The "Traveler's" GMT is considered a "real" GMT because it solves the problem it was originally designed for, which is to allow pilots to maintain the 24 hour version of GMT at all times as all flight timing is done in GMT. Ironically, the first GMT, the Rolex GMT-Master, wasn't a traveler, it took until the GMT-Master II in 1983 to add that feature.

The "Caller's" GMT is favorable for someone who stays in a given time zone and wants to track time in another, maybe so they call the boss during working hours or don't call the parents at three in the morning.

Each type has their place, though the Callers is much more common as all the ETA and Sellita variants are Callers. TAG Heuer may make a Traveler but I'm not aware of it. Travelers are typically associated with in-house movements. The Omega 8500 series are going to be Travelers because they already have the jumping hour feature. The GMT-Master II and Explorer II are also Travelers.

I am also looking for an new GMT Pepsi.
I haven’t had an Aquaracer before.

What do you guys think, will it hold it’s value around €2000 for the next couple of years or will it drop even more and how much per year?

Now when the Aquaracer “Batman” has released, will it affect the GMT Pepsi value?
Thanks

I think generally speaking Aquaracer is not something to purchase if you are concerned with re-sell value 👍 I guess its good if you buy it used but then on the other hand you have to worry about tons of well made fakes flowing around among people thinking they have the genuine thing...

Agreed. I would expect an AR to loose 33-50% of its value in two years.

It's gonna lose half its value when you walk out the door. That's why you keep 'em forever.

Look at GM prices to get an idea of resale value. A fresh warranty may bring a little more than GM but not likely.

Had mine almost 3 years now, still love it
Edited: