Strange swirl marks / foggy Tag Carrera glass face

Hi everyone,

My first post here, hoping someone can help me figure out what's going on with my Tag Carrera...

I have noticed strange marks on my watch face a few days ago. At first i thought it was just dirty or foggy and that a quick wipe would fix it but no luck. The marks go away when wiped with my thumb or soft cloth but come back within 5 minutes. I have also tried washing with soap and warm water...no result.

When i first take the watch out of my drawer to wear in the morning, there are no marks on it and the glass is absolutely clear. However, when i wear it, the marks come on after maybe 15 minutes (presumably after the watch warms up due to skin contact?). The pattern of the marks does not change and is always exactly the same.

I have not banged or scratched it anywhere nor used any abrasive chemicals to clean the sapphire glass. The watch is kept in my bedroom closet, in a drawer at night. Temperature in the room is around 18 to 20 degrees Celsius. There have been no environmental changes since the day I have purchased it and it is even kept in the same drawer and room since day one.

The bizarre thing is that there is even a reflection outline on the area above the date/day box and Tag logo. Picture attached.

I purchased the watch brand new from a reputable authorised dealer (physical store, UK) and have owned it for a little over 3 years. Have not serviced it yet.

A few pictures are attached so you can have a look. Please note that the pictures with marks are taken before cleaning on my tshirt and the clean ones are taken after. The marks came back a few minutes after wiping.

Does anyone here have any idea what's going on? Thanks in advance!
Edited:

Is this on the inside or outside? If inside, it looks a bit like condensation, in which case a service is recommended asap before it starts corroding the movement. If on the outside, I've never seen anything like it before. Some kind of reaction with the anti-reflective coating perhaps? Maybe time for a service? But before that, maybe try a quick clean with soap and water?!

It looks like it's got a layer Jif Cream Cleaner on it......

Also, strange post for 'The Garage' sub forum.

Is this on the inside or outside? If inside, it looks a bit like condensation, in which case a service is recommended asap before it starts corroding the movement. If on the outside, I've never seen anything like it before. Some kind of reaction with the anti-reflective coating perhaps? Maybe time for a service? But before that, maybe try a quick clean with soap and water?!

Hello and thank you for your reply. It may be on the inside because when i wipe the watch, the glass becomes ok so maybe the heat from the wiping fixes the glass from inside? Can't be on the outside because the marks would have been wiped off? But then again, there are no water droplets so maybe it is not condensation? Haven't a clue.

I have already tried soap and water but no change to situation...

It looks like it's got a layer Jif Cream Cleaner on it......

Also, strange post for 'The Garage' sub forum.

Hello, yes....that is my fault. I thought that the garage was where people discuss watch repairs and problems. Realised after posting that that was not the case 😟

I will try and find a moderator and request it be moved it to the relevant Tag forum. I don't have any such option unfortunately.

It seems strange that it's suddenly started doing it, it would make more sense if you'd just bought it to be honest...

Must be condensation under the crystal. Better get it serviced asap.

Nah - condensation under the crystal will not be wiped off, it'll just stay there until the conditions that caused it, have cleared up (humidity mostly)

My best guess is you've got some sort of oily residue on it, that looks wiped off right after you give it a go (hence the swirls) - try using a microfiber cleaning cloth of the type provided with some watches or eyeglasses; if you have a lens cleaner you might try using a small amount of that. Or liquid dish soap should work - just don't use anything with a grit.

Nah - condensation under the crystal will not be wiped off, it'll just stay there until the conditions that caused it, have cleared up (humidity mostly)

My best guess is you've got some sort of oily residue on it, that looks wiped off right after you give it a go (hence the swirls) - try using a microfiber cleaning cloth of the type provided with some watches or eyeglasses; if you have a lens cleaner you might try using a small amount of that. Or liquid dish soap should work - just don't use anything with a grit.

Hello and thanks for the suggestion. What you say makes sense...i used an Oakleys sunglasses microfibre cloth to wipe the glass. The stains went but came back after a few minutes. I then used fairy kitchen liquid to clean the glass and then wiped with the microfiber cloth. Again, stains went but came back ☹ . No change whatsoever to the swirls pattern indicating that they were not disturbed at all.

Just doesn't make sense why the pattern and fogginess dissappears completely and then returns again.

This is closer to a surface stain than condensation which would be easier to make out due to wetness under the glass

It doesn’t seem the same problem, but the solution could be the same that this other forum member found for the glass of his watch (ceramic cleaner):

https://forums.calibre11.com/thread...splay-strange-particles-how-to-remove.116190/

Thanks. I am at Tesco and can see Mr Muscle glass cleaner or even Pledge multisurface cleaner which i am tempted to try. Don't want to use anything too harsh on the glass but want to get the right thing. Also have Method glass cleaner and they use biodegradable, non toxic materials. Will keep you guys posted. Cheers

Glass cleaner will hopefully cut through any grease, but could it be a bit strong? Have you tried washing up liquid first? That's a natural degreaser and possibly a bit gentler.

Glass cleaner will hopefully cut through any grease, but could it be a bit strong? Have you tried washing up liquid first? That's a natural degreaser and possibly a bit gentler.

Already tried Fairy washing up liquid but no luck

Ok, so I have tried Method glass cleaner and also Mr Muscle Window and Glass cleaner with vinegar. Both pretty mild in comparison to other solutions i saw at the store. Have also tried Fairy dishwashing liquid. Still no luck....

Have you ever used a grit solution on it? Like Polywatch or toothpaste. Wonder if you or a previous owner may have used some and caused some scratches in the anti-reflective coating. Might want to bring it in to a service rep and see.

Have you ever used a grit solution on it? Like Polywatch or toothpaste. Wonder if you or a previous owner may have used some and caused some scratches in the anti-reflective coating. Might want to bring it in to a service rep and see.

I am the first owner and nope, never used any abrasive substance in it. Only used soap and water.

There's an obvious pattern to the swirl, what I find most odd is the way the shield, date window and hands are reflected on the glass. It's like the glass is acting like an eternity mirror...

It's a single, precise swirl that perfectly covers the entire crystal. Is there a coating that Tag applies by hand to the sapphire? Close up it looks like residue. Perhaps a chemical coating is breaking down and bodyheat causes it to oxidise. I'd take it to a boutique. I'd be worried about trying random household chemicals on it.