Forums Latest Members

Anti-Glare Coating on TAG Carrera Calibre 1887

1. AudiSport

AudiSport May 27, 2015

Hi there

So I found out the hard way that the crystal on the Tag Carrera 1887 which is "scratch resistant" according to TAG is an accurate statement.. But the caveat to that is the anti-glare coating on the face of it is quite prone to scuffs apparently which I have found out the hard way :).

Anyway - Before joining these forums I looked into how to correct this issue. I brought it to a local watch maker and he said well, you didn't scuff the crystal at all, but you scuffed the anti glare coating on the face of it. His recommendation obviously was a new crystal, but to replace that you have to take the whole watch apart I was told. So I looked into how to fix this on my own if possible and found that diamond lapping pastes usually do the trick to removing scratches from crystal, even saphire, so I figured this would be great for just a scuff to the anti-glare. Anyway.. I did it last night and the Polish in me led me to a small box where I taped where now it doesn't have the anti-glare coating.. lol. The original area I tried to fix is 90% gone, so I think with a bit more elbow grease I could eliminate it completely. So at this point I'm considering, well actually I think it's the only option... to do the entire face and remove the anti-glare coating since having a small box in the center where its gone because it looks weird.

Has anyone else done this? Rather than me buffing off the coating is there something that would remove it quicker? Paint thinner? I will prob call Tag today and ask.

2. AudiSport

AudiSport May 27, 2015

Aparently I am not the only one who has done this.. Searched a bit harder and found a bunch of articles/how-tos. I think I'm going to try it since worst case the crystal has to be replaced anyway!

3. GrantK

GrantK May 27, 2015

I understand your situation. I also managed to scratch the crystal on one of my Tag Links however how much of the scratch is the AR and how much is the crystal is unknown at this point. I also looked at replacement however the figure quoted seemed extreme and as I wear it as a “tool” watch most days I do find it a somewhat liberating.

Tag Heuer uses a double AR coating (back and front) on most of their crystal so it will be interesting to see what effect it will have when you remove the front AR coating. It will likely have some impact but how much and which light conditions will be most affected will be the real question.

Good luck with your testing and let us know how it goes. And as you said, the worst case scenario is you have to replace the crystal which is what you were looking at doing anyway.

AudiSport likes this.
  4. AudiSport

AudiSport May 27, 2015

So I went ahead and buffed the entire crystal tonight because having the tiny box in the center with the AR coating removed was ridiculous looking! I am very happy with the results and I would call it 98% perfect.. I am a perfectionist. The balance remaining is there appear to be some extremely faint scratches from the lapping paste which I would imagine with a few more runs with the finest 0.25 micron paste would clear right up.

I ran it over with 5 micron paste, then 3, then 2.5, then 1.5, then 1, then 0.5, then 0.25.. Then took a compound that I use on my car (yep) Menzerna Fast Gloss and after that step just used a glass cleaner to polish and as I said it looks 98% perfect. Way better than the little box I had before doing it, and in my opinion way better than having that scuff on the coating.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Calibre11 likes this.
  5. AudiSport

AudiSport May 27, 2015

Oh and the first pic I am trying to show the crystal in great shape.. I was purposely shooting it at a pretty hard angle which would beg for glare :). I will find out tomorrow when I wear it to work (office environment) but, from the little box I had this morning I couldn't notice it under those lights only when I tried to see it. I am expecting it to be fine now with the whole crystal free from ar on the outside. Will report back.

6. AudiSport

AudiSport May 28, 2015

Wearing the watch at work today is as epxected.. Great. I am very happy I buffed the crystal last night to remove the AR coating from the face as I see no adverse impacts by that. I've been in office light, outside, etc, and nothing is really impacted by doing this. The worst was yesterday where only a small box had been done and the rest wasn't - that looked terrible. Those extremely faint scratches from buffing I will remove later on with a microfiber and .25 micron. I think the paper towel I was using is what caused those faint scratches but I am 100% that they will all be removed. Then I'll just leave it be!

7. GrantK

GrantK May 28, 2015

That did come up pretty well. Do you have any before and after shots?

8. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 29, 2015

Looks great- well done