Forums Latest Members
  1. Yago

Yago Oct 8, 2021

That's harsh. Gosling is a class actor. I like many of his films. Drive has been mentioned in which he play a race car driver turned getaway driver, The Place Beyond the Pines in which he plays a motorcycle stunt driver, Fracture, The Big Short and most notably Blade Runner 2049.

thingziliketoo, dtf and Mspeedster like this.
  2. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Oct 8, 2021

Haven't seen Drive. I have seen The Big Short and Blade Runner 2049. He was fine in them, he's just not 'memorable' like some actors.. but maybe that's a good thing? It means that when you are watching him he is 'the character' rather than 'recognizable actor' playing a role.

3. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Oct 8, 2021

He's a good actor, I have no trouble remembering who he is. I have to admit, I also liked Gosling in The Notebook, Crazy Stupid Love and La La Land. What can I say, I'm a bit of a romantic.

I'm just a little indifferent to him as a TAG Heuer ambassador. I don't think that he's any worse than Hemsworth as a brand ambassador, but I do feel that Ryan is a better actor than Chris.

Edited Oct 8, 2021
    thingziliketoo, Yago and Anthony.R like this.
  4. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Oct 8, 2021

Maybe he is cheaper?

5. dtf

dtf Oct 8, 2021

Drive is excellent.

6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Oct 8, 2021

I kinda want to see it cos I like Neon Demon which is the same director..

7. dtf

dtf Oct 8, 2021

It's definitely worth watching, the soundtrack is fantastic too. Unrelated (other than the name) Baby Driver is also worth watching

thingziliketoo likes this.
  8. Yago

Yago Oct 8, 2021

Gosling is an actor. Hemsworth throws around hammers. If Gosling brings his wife to TH events I’ll be happy

thingziliketoo and Mspeedster like this.
  9. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Oct 8, 2021

My Problem with this brand ambassadors in general is not so much whether he’s a good actor or not, but rather whether he has any credible connection to watches in general and TH in particular (?)

I mean: What’s the point in paying millions to someone like e.g. Brad Pitt, who will go from TH to Breitling (Maybe there was another brand in between…?) to sporting his own Rolex when paparazzi'd at a private outing?

Jim Dollares likes this.
  10. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Oct 8, 2021

But... you are looking at it from the point of view of a watch enthusiast. Brand Ambassadors aren't really for people like us, they are for the public at large. I don't know how many 'followers' Gosling has, but this will doubtless mean pics of him appearing on his Instagram wearing TAGs etc... just as Brad Pitt and Keanu 2.0 basically 'advertise' Breitlings to their followers.

11. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Oct 8, 2021

Sure, but what’s the overlap between people following RG on IG and people in the market for an upmarket mechanical watch? It seems so random to me. As the use of actors does most of the time…

Not to defend Breitling & Kern, but that the “squad” promoting their dive watches is composed of surfers at least makes a minimum of sense.

12. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Oct 8, 2021

I don't think it's so obvious. It's more about 'brand awareness' or 'brand recognition'. So that when someone does decide they want a watch, they think of 'TAG Heuer' or 'Breitling'. You could say it worked with me, I always followed F1 and so when I reached my mid 30s and decided I wanted a nice watch I automatically gravitated towards TAG.

Yeah, but then again not really... especially when they take photos of them wearing Navitimers!

I heard the other day that the Navitimer 8s have been renamed the Aviator 8s... seems like this is true.

13. TAGguyNYC823

TAGguyNYC823 Oct 8, 2021

Crazy, Stupid, Love is hilarious...David Lindhagen???

Mspeedster likes this.
  14. abrod520

abrod520 Oct 8, 2021

Breitling has realized that not every chronograph in their collection has to carry their most recognizable model name... unlike a certain other brand :rolleyes:

15. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Oct 8, 2021

Ooooooooooooh!

16. abrod520

abrod520 Oct 8, 2021

17. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Oct 8, 2021

Fair point.

TAG Heuer CEO Frederic Arnault made an interesting comment when he introduced Ryan Gosling (video is still on TAG Heuer's IG stories). Frederic said that Ryan "chose TAG Heuer as his first ever brand partnership and that we'll collaborate even further than just a simple ambassadorship". So it will be interesting to see what that means and if Ryan provides any input into future designs.

18. Yago

Yago Oct 8, 2021

Unlike most watch brands TAG Heuer’s ambassadors usually aren’t random. McQueen and Max are obvious. Lots of other athletes to highlight the sports competitive DNA of the brand. Dempsey is a hollywood star but also a racecar driver who bought a vintage Monaco even before his ambassadorship. Gossling has a Mcqueen vibe and his stuntdriver, badboy, racer & getaway driver roles are spot on.
    As Rob said watch enthusiasts don’t care much about all this but the public at large certainly does.
    TH’s F1 link is of course not just about sponsorship but also about state of the art timing equipment developed back in the golden age of motorsports and TAG F1 engineering for Mclaren. Pitt, Jolie and Driver for Breitling? Beats me. I don’t really understand what the brand stands for. Especially now under Kern. All over the place.

paysdoufs and Jim Dollares like this.
  19. thingziliketoo

thingziliketoo Oct 8, 2021

Omega and the Speedmaster name?

paysdoufs and Jim Dollares like this.
  20. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Oct 8, 2021

What ever it was it would need to be shockproof, very shockproof.

thingziliketoo likes this.