Forums Latest Members
  1. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Dec 5, 2023

I actually think it would be quite exciting if the watch companies were forced to start appealing to a different audience by launching actual new watches instead of simply revising old things. The 90s are looked back at as a 'bad time' for TAG Heuer now, but they were tremendously successful... but the watches weren't 'timeless' designs. As much as I like the watches I can admit that the 6000 Series looks very ostentatious now and the S/EL isn't a watch to set modern pulses racing. The 4000 is another one that can only be admired by a select few... but they sold buckets of them. I doubt Ron Dennis was too upset when he saw his bank statements and how do you design a timeless watch anyway? You can only know it's timeless when time has passed.

bpsmith likes this.
  2. abrod520

abrod520 Dec 5, 2023

Uber's an interesting case since it did actually fill a need when it began - in places where taxis were rare and difficult to depend on being able to grab one when you needed it. Where that went wrong was that its rise coincided with the late-stage capitalist need to pump as much money out of everything at all costs, so they wanted to expand where the money is like New York or London, places that have an established taxi service. Which is why they fairly quickly turned to predatory business practices (operating at a loss to undercut those taxi services) and then exploitative pay.

AP is definitely getting to the 'pump as much money out' phase and has lost touch with their 'if you know you know' image.

bpsmith likes this.
  3. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Dec 5, 2023

I think the stock market has a lot to answer for. It seems like the only thing that matters now is the stock price, even if you make no profit, if you somehow make your stock valuable then you sell it who cares if the company falls apart afterwards.

RockBurner and bpsmith like this.
  4. bpsmith

bpsmith Dec 5, 2023

The thing is, Uber may well have employed some dodgy tactics to get market share and push others out, but that’s exactly what many a Taxi firm has done for quite some time before them. Same can be said for brands in many other markets. It’s just business when they’re on the up, but it’s unfair when someone else is on the up and they’re on the receiving end.

dtf likes this.
  5. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Dec 5, 2023

Yes, possibly I guess it's a question of scale. Anyway, as I said, my point wasn't really that it was that youngsters don't really care too much about history and stuff. But then I guess if you take the history away you have to compete on the actual product, which we all know is grossly overpriced.

bpsmith likes this.
  6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Dec 7, 2023

VirgileF and bpsmith like this.
  7. bpsmith

bpsmith Dec 7, 2023

Longines now crushing Tudor?

8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Dec 7, 2023

LOL

Jim Dollares likes this.
  9. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Dec 7, 2023

Everyone is clearly crushing Tudor. I am thankful for youtubers teaching me the truth about the watch market. For a long time Tudor was the biggest brand crushing everything, but not anymore.

paysdoufs, dtf, bpsmith and 1 other person like this.
  10. abrod520

abrod520 Dec 7, 2023

And the Tudor BB Pro is basically just a cheaper version of the Explorer II as it is.

upload_2023-12-7_9-55-30.png

The Longines is titanium which is cool but it's so uninspired it's nuts. Glad I didn't have to buy it though - I was afraid they'd do a version of the Spirit Flyback chrono which I might've been unable to resist.

paysdoufs and bpsmith like this.
  11. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Dec 7, 2023

Build them up to smack em down!

bpsmith likes this.
  12. bpsmith

bpsmith Dec 7, 2023

I think Longines are great tbh. Doing some really nice pieces in fairness. I do prefer the BBPro though, but then I prefer the Explorer II to that, albeit in Polar guise.

dtf likes this.
  13. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Dec 7, 2023

Bro haven't you heard? Youtubers have been saying for years that Tudor is basically Rolex, so now when Tudor is completely crushed by Longines, this basically means that Rolex is crushed by Longines.

dtf, Aquagraph and bpsmith like this.
  14. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Dec 7, 2023

[​IMG]

McBeardy and thingziliketoo like this.
  15. bpsmith

bpsmith Dec 7, 2023

Which means Rolex is crushed by Tissot by extension. Boom!

McBeardy and Jim Dollares like this.
  16. bpsmith

bpsmith Dec 11, 2023

Are there any G-Shock fans here?

Always been a fan of the Square, but never got one. Toying with fixing that at some point, but interested in opinions and experience of the various models. I am leaning towards metal or the new full carbon presently.

thingziliketoo likes this.
  17. McBeardy

McBeardy Dec 11, 2023

I’ve had many other years. Square is great but a it too boring & the one everyone kinda goes for. The King Square is cool & if you have the wrists to pull them off get one.

I prefer there analogue ones with their digital displays secondary. Although lume isn’t great on them. Have only one now GA400 5398 I think. All banged up from my bike accident, which is where I kinda wear mine (or DIY) prefer my Seiko Arnie to G’s now days.

Might pick up a cheap Casio Oak when my one finally dies.

bpsmith likes this.
  18. McBeardy

McBeardy Dec 11, 2023

They just need to sort out their massively long lugs like Nomos & then I think they’ll have a winning formula.

The Spirit line is fantastic just those lug lengths need to come down below 50mm & ideally remove those stars.

Movements have good PR and in-house (as o believe solely used for Longines in the Swatch group) 3hz rather than the 4hz I prefer (means a slower seconds hand). Chronos could be a bit slimmer (but show me a chronograph that isn’t thick)

bpsmith likes this.
  19. bpsmith

bpsmith Dec 11, 2023

I wear my Garmin for Cycling and Walking, etc and don’t tend to wear a watch when washing the car or DIY, so it will be just because I like them rather than the true toughness reasoning.

I do agree that the Square is a bit boring perhaps, but I just really like the design. Plus the point for me is to be different to my SeamasterAquaracer/etc when I do switch. Having an analogue G Shock would seem daft for my requirements as could just wear those as not switching to stop damage, etc.

Leaning towards the Eric Haze version at the moment, but the new Carbon one looks excellent too, as does the MRG line albeit going way up in price at that level.

I know people think the MRG is daft, as the movement is same cheap module as in those from about £500 up, but the same can be said for my Aquaracer tbh.

thingziliketoo, dtf and McBeardy like this.
  20. bpsmith

bpsmith Dec 11, 2023

Agree with all of that. I think the year ahead will see many an update which will tempt new customers as they fill the void even more, given the price increases pushing others into different price brackets.

McBeardy likes this.