New Post: Carrera Calibre 16 Sports

I've been meaning to post this for a while- some great shots here of the new sports Carreras

https://www.calibre11.com/in-depth-review-carrera-calibre-16-ceramic-bezel/

TAG-Heuer-Carrera-Calibre-16-Ceramic-Bezel-19.jpg

I had a chance to try one a few weeks ago and agree with your assessment, the black model is the way to go for this one. I didn't buy it, but maybe I will in the future.
IMG_20180902_234642_929.jpg

I tried these on in the Geneva boutique, great photos David... and I agree about the lume, although isn't it because the new lume doesn't 'age'?

I really like this watch (blue favourite), but the depth is the main reason I wouldn't buy it.
TAG-Heuer-Carrera-Calibre-16-Ceramic-Bezel-18.jpg

Yes, they seem super thick, I think because they are 41mm, if they were 43mm it wouldn't seem as thick.

Yes, they seem super thick, I think because they are 41mm, if they were 43mm it wouldn't seem as thick.
Keeping the thickness and increasing the diameter would be taking it in completely the wrong direction for me :)

Fair enough, but the small diameter with that thickness does make it feel very chunky, increasing the diameter would help - but not if you've got small wrists.

I don't mind the size, but there other Carreras that sit higher on the food chain.

Compare and contrast to the picture above
rolex-cream-dial-daytona-profile-1024x389.jpg

But like comparing a Yankie muscle car to a highly tuned German sportscar. Price differential similar too.

Compare and contrast to the picture above
rolex-cream-dial-daytona-profile-1024x389.jpg

In-house movement developed to be reasonably thin against the Valjoux 7750 which was developed to be mass produced and cheap to make. Not really a valid or fair comparison.

In-house movement developed to be reasonably thin against the Valjoux 7750 which was developed to be mass produced and cheap to make. Not really a valid or fair comparison.
I was only comparing profile thickness, not cost. But, Tag can produce their own in-house movements at scale these days. Plus, there are ways to make a 7750 hug the wrist better, a Tudor Big Block being one of them.

I like the thickness

Would instantly take my money if the Heuer 02 was in it and even more so at a 43mm size

I can't wait to see the Heuer 02 utilized in more pieces

I am also partial to that strap on a Carrera

vravie.jpg

They do look nice (like the other new Calibre 16 models) but are too thick (like the other new Calibre 16 models). There's a point at which a watch becomes lumpy and slab-sided, and this is far beyond that IMO.

A note about the lume - SuperLuminova lume does not patinate the way tritium lume did. So if they had not gone with a vintage-yellow color and instead went with stark white, it most certainly would not age over time to that hue. You'd be stuck with white.

Really like everything about these ones, except the thickness... Tried on the blue and it was really nice looking. Love the solid caseback (wish they would be on that level on more models), love that white sporty inner ring. Even like the "aged" lume, if you forget about it trying to be aged lume I think it works well with the blue.

Really like everything about these ones, except the thickness... Tried on the blue and it was really nice looking. Love the solid caseback (wish they would be on that level on more models), love that white sporty inner ring. Even like the "aged" lume, if you forget about it trying to be aged lume I think it works well with the blue.
I haven't tried this one, so my comments are just general.
With that said I think the thickness can sometimes be to important to some potential buyers. Sure, I thought the Autavia was borderline too thick when I bought it, but as long as it goes under your sleeve it's alright.

With that said, it can be really bothersome, but I think that the comment is sometimes overused about watches. These are just my two cents, so please don't put me on trial for this;)

Simple answer to ‘thickness’ ... short sleeved shirts. :p
I kind of agree with that. At the same time, I constantly travel between Sweden and the Netherlands, I've never worn short sleeve on any of those trips...:D

They do look nice (like the other new Calibre 16 models) but are too thick (like the other new Calibre 16 models). There's a point at which a watch becomes lumpy and slab-sided, and this is far beyond that IMO.

A note about the lume - SuperLuminova lume does not patinate the way tritium lume did. So if they had not gone with a vintage-yellow color and instead went with stark white, it most certainly would not age over time to that hue. You'd be stuck with white.

If I bought a white car I'd want it to stay white, I don't get why people want their lume to discolour?

If I bought a white car I'd want it to stay white, I don't get why people want their lume to discolour?

Well your car's paint is an exterior color, whereas lume was just added to markers so it'd glow. When it patinated, many people found that they quite enjoyed the warm tones.
But nowadays, new watches have colored lume that won't discolor so you have nothing to worry about :)