Forums Latest Members
  1. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 14, 2022

I would like the choice actually, I would love it if TAG made every watch available in quartz and mechanical, but they won't do that because that would ruin the myth of mechanical watches. Much better that you should pay £5000.

2. dtf

dtf Aug 14, 2022

Accurate to a point? According to Tag, their quartz watches are more accurate in a month than their mechanical watches are in a day.

Given the sellita is a eta clone...don't the eta movements suffer the same issues as the sellita calibre 5s?

3. McBeardy

McBeardy Aug 14, 2022

Surely that shows how bad they’re mechanical movements are & for their RRP they should be at least COSC.

For me I can’t stand quartz & only 2 in my collection 1 G Shock for DIY, & one vintage Seiko Arnie (heirloom) but wouldn’t buy any myself, & loathe to have another. Really not my cup of tea.

But each to their own.

4. McBeardy

McBeardy Aug 14, 2022

Maybe they need to follow Tudor then. COSC for under £3k.

5. dtf

dtf Aug 14, 2022

It does indeed show how bad the base sellita movements are, but how much better is a COSC movement? It's still seconds/day, not seconds/month, plus you have the risk of magnetic or vibration damage with a mechanical movement.

I must ask, why the dislike for quartz?

6. McBeardy

McBeardy Aug 14, 2022

Never really have liked them if I’m honest. Maybe if fallen into the Swiss marketing trap of enjoying the romanticism of mechanical watches, but I don’t feel any attachment to quartz (apart from my Arnie) and see them more as a throw away disposals item.

I enjoy the old school mechanical movement's, hell even the non sweep annoys me & especially those that don’t hit the marker.

Saying that I admire GS & what they do with their quartz.

abrod520, imagwai and Jim Dollares like this.
  7. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 15, 2022

Too mainstream for elitists and it doesn't sweep. :rolleyes:

dtf likes this.
  8. McBeardy

McBeardy Aug 15, 2022

Or too cheap and generic for those that are spending x amount of money :thumbsup:

imagwai likes this.
  9. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 15, 2022

Plus lets not forget, nasty evil quartz nearly trashed the mechanical industry so to entertain it is to be a conspirator.

Jim Dollares likes this.
  10. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Aug 15, 2022

Those times when TAG Heuer's top of the range (the 6000 series) was offered in both automatic and quartz... :rolleyes:

dtf and Aquagraph like this.
  11. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 15, 2022

And chronometer.... yes, funny... but then the autos were the oddity. Quartz price £1450, chronometer price £1730... a much more reasonable variation.

dtf and Albert-AMG like this.
  12. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 15, 2022

Plus the quartz and autos came in essentially identical cases with the same bracelet.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  13. dtf

dtf Aug 15, 2022

What a strange time!

14. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Jan 4, 2023

Question to the community: Is the new green titanium AR for around 2.7k EUR (new) a good deal? I have to admit that I cannot really make up my mind… Does someone own one?

15. RossBerg

RossBerg Jan 6, 2023

I'll just offer my 2c here...I've been considering the titanium and night diver versions too and I really like a lot of what Tag Heuer have to offer. However in the end I decided to get another of the outgoing Superocean 42 models (so I have ended up with the black dial and orange dial versions). The SO 42 appealed more to me with a slightly smaller case, chronometer certified movement and killer AR coating. €2.7K is certainly a good price for the new titanium model. I believe they use grade 2 titanium which is not as hard as some other brands so I'm not sure how it will hold up to scratches long term. Are you considering alternatives too?

16. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Jan 6, 2023

After the events of the day, this is on hold. Would have been a bit of a “frustration buy” anyway :D

That said, I DID quickly try on a blue (steel) AR in 43mm today (no titanium available) and have to say that it’s (IMHO) a great piece:

Size isn’t an issue at all (18.5cm wrist) - it gave me pretty much the same visual impression as my BB41 that I wore earlier this week - and the haptic quality is there. Re. the design, that’s probably just up to everyone’s personal perception…

The core collection aside (which is rather middle-of-the road), I think TH offers a very strong line-up - with the Titanium, the Night Diver and the orange dial - for those who look for something a little bit different, at a (still) acceptable price-point. They should have COSC movements though.

If they did, for me they would actually blow the last-gen Breitling SO out of the water. The comparison with the current generation SO is probably biased right from the start since people will have (too) strong esthetic preferences.