Forums Latest Members
  1. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 9, 2022

Back in April last year, a lot of people really really hated the new Aquaracer. I remember youtubers going nuts over how terrible it was and how it had to be an April Fools joke it was so bad. And yet, now it seems like the turmoil has been completely forgotten and everybody seems to like the new Aquaracer. Indeed, I can't even remember the last time someone moaned about the awful round cyclops over the square date window at the 6 position. Maybe this just goes to show that brands need to stand their ground and the people will come round eventually?

Jim Dollares likes this.
  2. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Aug 9, 2022

Them nice WBP's might be a good example of a brand not following trends and get rewarded for being bold with their design?

For me personally, I have noticed that watches I fall instantly for I end up losing interest in quite fast. But the ones that stay in my heart long-term are the ones where the love grows slowly. I seriously hated the new Aquaracers upon release but now I think they might be the best generation ever. At the time of the release of the CBK Carreras I think I was rather "meh" and against the whole fake Heuer watches made by TAG Heuer, eventually it turned into one of my favourite watches of all times. Same with BB58, not a fan upon release, now I love it.

On the other hand, it might just be as simple as a constant flow of brainwashing by social media and "independent" watch "journalists". We all see and here the same praise of the same watches, over and over.

I might be wrong here but didn't many youtubers praise the new design upon its release? Same with reviews in the beginning? Maybe not the cyclops but I vaguely remember thinking they be all a bunch of idiots thinking the new gen is an improvement IIRC.

Aquagraph likes this.
  3. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Aug 9, 2022

As always, photos make life better. How about a wonderful silver diver, photo by Escapement Magazine

[​IMG]

4. abrod520

abrod520 Aug 9, 2022

I still don't like the date cyclops and think the watch would be 100% better without it. But in the metal it's a very nice watch and I think is one of the earlier victims of TAG's terrible rendering department.

Aquagraph and dtf like this.
  5. dtf

dtf Aug 9, 2022

Sorry, I’ve been super busy, but normal service will be resumed shortly.

After seeing this in the metal, I don’t hate it as much as I hated the renders - I still hate the fact TH are trying to make the 6 o’clock date a brand identifier, without any real legacy to drive that, and hate the submariner-ification of what was a decent non-sub-clone dive watch, but if you put your thumb over the cyclops, it looks good, particularly in orange.

Ultimately I still prefer the WAY series ARs and won’t be buying the current generation.

Aquagraph and Jim Dollares like this.
  6. imagwai

imagwai Aug 9, 2022

Sorry Rob, I still much prefer the previous generation and still don't like the multi-geometry of the new ones.

dtf and Aquagraph like this.
  7. McBeardy

McBeardy Aug 9, 2022

I still think its great, and in sea of Sub clones stands out, maybe a Seamaster clone, 40mm no cyclops and I'd have one. Although be good to how the future goes with this model and the Kennese movement,

dtf likes this.
  8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 9, 2022

Well Time & Tide absolutely loved it, but we know how that goes....

9. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Aug 9, 2022

Well after catching up with some old articles it seems Revolution, Hodinkee and ABTW were also very positive. And those guys are 100% independent and not bias right? No free Monaco weekends and luxury for those sites on the expense of TAG :rolleyes:

But my point being that upon release it felt like the majority was positive. Maybe it was here in our forum bubble the hate domimated and this is what you remember :cool:

10. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 9, 2022

Possibly, but I also remember independent YouTubers hating on it, and one (I forget the name... possibly Theo and Harris?) actually said 'no way is this going into production, it will be redesigned'. In fact the more I think about it the more I think it might have been that prick Christian.

11. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 9, 2022

The funny thing is.... it turns out Time and Tide were right. :whistling:

Jim Dollares likes this.
  12. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Aug 9, 2022

I was luke warm about the 43mm when first released. I instantly liked the 40mm better. But the 43mm has grown on me, especially the 844, Orange and Night Diver variants. I think I like the 43 more than the 40 now for looks, except the size is bigger than I'd like.

Still don't like the Cyclops and have reservations about the movement. I've seen some that seem to have date wheel alignment issues.
    TAG-ND.jpg

13. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Aug 11, 2022

WBP appreciation post (sexy photos stolen from nice interweb sources)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Albert-AMG likes this.
  14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 11, 2022

36mm dial >>>> 43mm dial

dtf likes this.
  15. Jim Dollares

You are such a hipster, of course you like the 36mm more than the 43.

I am yet to try on the 36mm but on paper I like them a lot, especially the diamond dials. Afraid it will wear too tiny tho

Aquagraph likes this.
  16. McBeardy

McBeardy Aug 11, 2022

I tried on the 36mm at Gatwick last month, due to the bezel it felt smaller. Shame as 40mm in this would be a winner

17. Jim Dollares

Yeah this is what I was thinking, thick bezel and rather small dial. I cant for the life of me understand why TAG (and most other brands) just cant offer their models in a variety of sizes. A 36, 40, 43 and 46 would make perfect sense for the Aquaracer

18. Jemagloh

Jemagloh Aug 11, 2022

[​IMG]

I find myself reaching for either the 844 Tribute or the orange Aquaracer quite often. I really enjoy their looks and feel on the wrist. The silver dial model has been catching my eye more and more lately, too.

On a related note, I thought I had cooled on the Superdiver, but I still think about that one a lot!

19. Jim Dollares

TAG Heuer truly is mastering their silver dials. The Aquaracer silver dial also seems to have this magical structure to it, changing characteristics depending on light. Orange one is mega cool too. But I am yet to see both irl, I have only seen the blue, black and green.

Super diver ey? I think it is cool but not sure about some of the design elements. Or the size. Or the price tag :D

have you tried it on?

dtf likes this.
  20. Jemagloh

Jemagloh Aug 11, 2022

All good points, Jim! Not seen one in the flesh.

As far as the size, I'd like to think it will not feel much different than a 44 mm Carrera Sport or 44 mm Formula 1 Cal 16 (particularly given comments by @abrod520 with regard to its wrist feel).

That price tag is a negative. No question about that!

Jim Dollares likes this.