Jack Heuer 85th Birthday Edition Autavia - Preview

I've been fortunate enough to borrow one of the JH 85 Autavia prototypes before its release next month and thought only fair I share any pictures I take of it.

David I understand will be doing a full write up and will certainly contain some better pictures, so don't want to take away from that in any way, but thought I should share.

Let me know if there's any specific requests or questions.

IMG_9295.JPG

IMG_9292.JPG

IMG_9285.JPG
The black mark is me masking the SN of the prototype.

The next pics are just a comparison to my vintage Heuer 11630mh. The watch is not as thick as you thick and it's the domed glass that adds 1.5mm to the thickness.

Great shots; thanks for sharing!

Do you know if there will be any differences in the production model, compared to this prototype?

Great shots; thanks for sharing!

Do you know if there will be any differences in the production model, compared to this prototype?
I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2 1/2 minute markings on the 30 minute counter change to 1 minute intervals

that color on the dial, much like telemeter, has a beautiful “patina”

love it

I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2 1/2 minute markings on the 30 minute counter change to 1 minute intervals

That would be cool, as a bit of a faux par to some extent on the new Autavia.

I've got to be honest and say if they'd removed the date and done away with domed crystal to thin it down a little would have been brilliant and made a lovely watch into a brilliant watch.

The sunburst effect on the dial is lovely as is the finishing on the chrono dials and overall very fond of the watch, a lot more than the standard Autavia.

I'm also testing the accuracy of the Heuer 02 over 24 hours, as looks like nobody has really checked. I didn't notice any significant time loss or gain when I had the Autavia for a few weeks, but now have set it against an atomic clock app on my phone....so we shall see.
I've never cared about this before and it's only after someone asked what the accuracy is of the new Autavia I'd thought I'd have a play. For my quartz or vintage watches I couldn't give a hoot, so never really cared, but for a new automatic think it's quite valid.
Edited:

I always care about accuracy. Especially involving in house movement.

Please post the update on the accuracy later if you don't mind.

Cheers

Absolutely Otto!

My only significant modern piece is a 2005 Quartz Omega Aquaterra, which as one would expect with a quartz does what it says on the tin. All of my other watches are vintage Heuer (2 quartz, 3 auto and a mechanical), so never cared so much.

I'm doing this basically for you guys as well as out of interest regarding the inhouse movement and because looks like nobody has before.

After 12 hours it seems to have lost just under 4 seconds....maybe 3.5 seconds. Most of that time has been on my table next to my bed in an AC cooled bedroom, so that may have slowed it more than normal.
We shall see how it is doing by 21:30 tonight and then I'll post the results, and maybe will continue taking pictures every day at around the same time so you can all draw your own conclusions. The watch will be worn during the day and on my bedside table at night, so should get a reasonably balanced result I hope.

The way I started the test was first to pull out the crown at zero on the chrono seconds dial, then set the time and push the crown in as the atomic clock hit 00. I then started the seconds hand with the pusher when the atomic clock hit 00, to make it easier to determine the time on pictures.

The start - crown pushed in to start time.

IMG_9307.JPG

Blurred photo trying to take picture whilst pushing pusher to start seconds hand.
IMG_9309.JPG

This morning at 07:30 it appears to be only 2 seconds lost.

IMG_9312.JPG

09:47 and shows around 3.5 seconds lost maybe. So maybe around 3 seconds is the truth based on previous indication at 07:30.

IMG_9315.JPG

I have no clue if this is the best way or most accurate way, so do feel free to chime in with suggestions if you think I could do this differently.

Once I've got bored with it all I'll post it up as a thread on the accuracy of the Heuer 02 movement.
Edited:

There's an app, toolwatch, which I use to measure accuracy.
It's technically linked to an atomic watch - but you have to be precise when selecting the minute at the time of measurement, as it can falsely the results greatly.

I do also realise I should have taken a picture several seconds after I started the seconds hand just to confirm my accuracy in starting it! Doh!

I may restart the testing......

There's an app, toolwatch, which I use to measure accuracy.
It's technically linked to an atomic watch - but you have to be precise when selecting the minute at the time of measurement, as it can falsely the results greatly.

Installed and now running that as well :thumbsup:

Accuracy will probably vary depending on whether the watch is sitting on a table or being worn.

Is it okay though to put the watch that close to the phone ? Being magnetic and all that ?

Accuracy will probably vary depending on whether the watch is sitting on a table or being worn.
Yeah i noticed that as well.

The watch will get a mixture of both resting (at night) and worn for the whole day. So at the moment I'm wearing it and will be until I go to bed tonight. So it should give a balanced reflection of actual use I'd assume.

Is it okay though to put the watch that close to the phone ? Being magnetic and all that ?

It's only on it for the photo ::bleh::

Any magnetic field put out by a phone is relatively small, but as I said the watch is just there for the picture and then straight back on my wrist or on my nightstand.

Well I have some results.

Using the app Toolwatch which measures over a 12h period and allows for latency etc it came back with +4 spd.

My other method was to set the time and then when 00 was reached push the crown in. The next time round push the chrono pusher to start the seconds hand.
Whilst the watch was on my bedside table it lost under 4 seconds over night (12 hours later), however after wearing for the full day it regained that lost time and according to the pictures I took was +1 second after 24 hours!

The toolwatch app is possibly the better tool, but reinforces what my other test did. I've now got the toolwatch app running for the night and expect to see a loss overnight again.

We have the AC on all night and it gets cold, so that may well have been a factor in the loss of time overnight.

I'll carry on the test for a couple of days and then post everything, but at the moment it looks like it's keeping time better than expected.

Absolutely Otto!

My only significant modern piece is a 2005 Quartz Omega Aquaterra, which as one would expect with a quartz does what it says on the tin. All of my other watches are vintage Heuer (2 quartz, 3 auto and a mechanical), so never cared so much.

I'm doing this basically for you guys as well as out of interest regarding the inhouse movement and because looks like nobody has before.

After 12 hours it seems to have lost just under 4 seconds....maybe 3.5 seconds. Most of that time has been on my table next to my bed in an AC cooled bedroom, so that may have slowed it more than normal.
We shall see how it is doing by 21:30 tonight and then I'll post the results, and maybe will continue taking pictures every day at around the same time so you can all draw your own conclusions. The watch will be worn during the day and on my bedside table at night, so should get a reasonably balanced result I hope.

The way I started the test was first to pull out the crown at zero on the chrono seconds dial, then set the time and push the crown in as the atomic clock hit 00. I then started the seconds hand with the pusher when the atomic clock hit 00, to make it easier to determine the time on pictures.

The start - crown pushed in to start time.

IMG_9307.JPG

Blurred photo trying to take picture whilst pushing pusher to start seconds hand.
IMG_9309.JPG

This morning at 07:30 it appears to be only 2 seconds lost.

IMG_9312.JPG

09:47 and shows around 3.5 seconds lost maybe. So maybe around 3 seconds is the truth based on previous indication at 07:30.

IMG_9315.JPG

I have no clue if this is the best way or most accurate way, so do feel free to chime in with suggestions if you think I could do this differently.

Once I've got bored with it all I'll post it up as a thread on the accuracy of the Heuer 02 movement.
Interesting. My only caution would be that prototype watches do not go through the usual quality control tests and processes. If there was a damaged movement, there'd be no reason not to fit it to a prototype.

Interesting result ! That's another method that i havent tried before. I usually just use the toolwatch app.

I can see you also concern about the room temperature in your measuring. That's also one of the angle i never consider before.

Thanks for sharing !

Interesting. My only caution would be that prototype watches do not go through the usual quality control tests and processes. If there was a damaged movement, there'd be no reason not to fit it to a prototype.

I had considered this as well, but got to be honest and say whilst they have called this a prototype it appears to be identical to the one offered at Philips....so wonder if prototype is really appropriate and more it's a pre-release.

The other part I wonder is do they actually test a watch as a whole, except for function? I think you'd probably know :D
I was wondering if the movements maybe tested for accuracy as soon as manufactured before going in the case?

If it has not undergone some form of testing then it is I think rather accurate at +4 spd?

I had not even heard of the watchtool app until posted here so this is all new to me :taunt:

I'd expect that the Philips watch is also a prototype...at this stage. Generally, TAG Heuer will refer to any watch that is not "retail ready" as being a prototype...even if sometimes this means a watch that looks 100% the same and will not change. The giveaway is that over the last 2-3 years, the reference number on a prototype is preceded by "XXX".

Most QC is performed on finished watches- for example, every one is checked for water resistance.

Actually, the real problem with prototypes is not that TAG Heuer slap them together quickly, but that they are passed around to a dozen or so retailers, journalists and potential customers and are dropped, knocked, scuffed and generally treated far worse than an owner would treat their watch. If someone had dropped the prototype you saw, but there was no cosmetic damage, then there would be no reason to replace the watch. That's one of the key reasons why I don't do any accuracy tests as part of my reviews.

Still..very cool app and one worth checking out!

Very valid points David.

This is an XX prototype as you say, and I know what you mean about the passing around and knocks. Luckily in this case I don't think it's been released out before now except for display, but still as you say possibly not tested fully by QC....as well as being outside of the normal production process which never helps quality either.

I guess if this is the worst possible example 4 seconds is rather good I suppose, although I've got no idea what is really good and one would expect.