How to spot a fake quartz Aquaracer

The inside.

That is the chineese assembled 5040 movement, not the swiss made one.. Difference in number of jewels... Fakers use this and some say also the gold 5040, Tag always use the gold swiss 5040 movement.

That is the chineese assembled 5040 movement, not the swiss made one.. Difference in number of jewels... Fakers use this and some say also the gold 5040, Tag always use the gold swiss 5040 movement.

Thanks for the reminder! IIRC, the fakes will say “Swiss Parts” which will be a red flag. The genuine movement should state “Swiss Made”. Is that correct?

@Patrick Pihl - That 100% confirms the unfortunate fact that your watch is a fake. With all the other indicators provided, you've got plenty of evidence to return your watch and get your money back.

Thanks for the reminder! IIRC, the fakes will say “Swiss Parts” which will be a red flag. The genuine movement should state “Swiss Made”. Is that correct?
According to the pics on this site, the Swiss Made 13 Jewels version (gold colored) only says "Swiss".
https://calibercorner.com/ronda-caliber-5040-b/
https://calibercorner.com/ronda-caliber-5040-d/

I can confirm that my genuine TAG Heuer F1 has the 13 Jewels Gold Color movement inside. It has the 5040.D and says "Swiss", not "Swiss Parts".

@Mspeedster thanks for sharing that information and pics. We should post this information in another thread that we can easily look-up, instead of attempting to look at past posts within a thread that may contain several (hundreds or even thousands) of posts! I'm pretty sure someone will come asking again...

@Mspeedster thanks for sharing that information and pics. We should post this information in another thread that we can easily look-up, instead of attempting to look at past posts within a thread that may contain several (hundreds or even thousands) of posts! I'm pretty sure someone will come asking again...
Few things are certain in life. Death, taxes and people buying Aquaracers on Ebay.

I am now in contact with the by TAG recommended Swedish AD. I just wanted them to verify that 5040 D Nickel Swiss Parts movement 6 jewels is not the correct one in this watch.

To my surprise they say that cant tell and I have to send in the watch for a closer exam!

Do they not know better or could TAG have issued the watch also with the budget Ronda?

AD will automatically defer questions of authenticity to TH. It's not up to them to say and they aren't qualified to comment.

AD will automatically defer questions of authenticity to TH. It's not up to them to say and they aren't qualified to comment.

I see. This is the AD TAG asked me to use to very the watch. Still the idea was at that time to send the watch in but i felt it would be unnecessary if they just could confirm.
Would TAG answer a question on use of Swiss Parts movement if I asked them?

I have my doubts... but they might. The problem is the person you are speaking to is not the person who can answer the question. So it's easier for them to say send the watch in and the correct person will look at it.

I have my doubts... but they might. The problem is the person you are speaking to is not the person who can answer the question. So it's easier for them to say send the watch in and the correct person will look at it.

Question asked 😀

I am now in contact with the by TAG recommended Swedish AD. I just wanted them to verify that 5040 D Nickel Swiss Parts movement 6 jewels is not the correct one in this watch.

To my surprise they say that cant tell and I have to send in the watch for a closer exam!

Do they not know better or could TAG have issued the watch also with the budget Ronda?
You bought it via ebay, right?
I'm not sure why you're still going through the trouble of dealing with TAG on this. You should be able to submit a claim that the watch is fake and get your money back directly via ebay's money back guarantee policy.

There's plenty of external visual evidence to show it's a fake!

Here's your dial and bezel (top), compared to an authentic one (bottom).

Three things jump out as wrong on yours:
1. Your lume pip sits on top the triangle, the real one is embedded. Plus the lume pip on yours is bigger, the real one is smaller.
2. Your bezel hash/timing mark at 5 minutes is centered equal distance from the bezel's outer and inner edge. The real one is positioned closer to the inner edge, next to the dial. All of the bezel hash marks on the real one are positioned closer to the inner bezel edge.
3. Your TAG Heuer logo is very sloppy. The real one has clean and sharp printing.

Same sloppy printing on your dial. Look at the Numbers and SWISS MADE on yours (top). Compared to the real one (bottom), which has clean and sharp print.

Then there's the caseback comparison. The difference between the TAG Heuer logo on yours (top) vs. the real one (bottom) is night and day.

There are high res images of the authentic watch pics here. It was a watch sold by Topper Jewelers in California, who are well known and very reputable.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2...2327_7f3c657f-6659-4c21-8206-43c0a5c646b1.jpg
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2...2313_fc6fcdbb-6260-4815-969c-ec7fb0298818.jpg

Did TAG tell you to go to the AD to have your watch authenticated??

You bought it via ebay, right?
I'm not sure why you're still going through the trouble of dealing with TAG on this. You should be able to submit a claim that the watch is fake and get your money back directly via ebay's money back guarantee policy.

Well I could try but TAG is the only part that legally has a saying. Its not the same thing that " I found out on the internet that's its a fake"

Still the only info I need from TAG is if this model was sold with the Ronda 5040D 13 jewels or not. I think its in their interest as well to help to stop fake watches and a basic information on specs that a client could expect.

As I said before Im surprised how bad my ihpone render details. It looks much better IRL under a magnifier. But i cant say its perfect. Cant come that close 😀
Edited:

Well I could try but TAG is the only part that legally has a saying. Its not the same thing that " I found out on the internet that's its a fake"

Still the only info I need from TAG is if this model was sold with the Ronda 5040D 13 jewels or not. I think its in their interest as well to help to stop fake watches and a basic information on specs that a client could expect.

As I said before Im surprised how bad my ihpone render details. It looks much better IRL under a magnifier. But i cant say its perfect. Cant come that close 😀
Certainly if you can get TAG or an AD to state it's a fake that will help your case. But ebay usually gives the benefit of the doubt to the buyer to protect them from fakes. The fact that you're unhappy with your purchase based on the photographic evidence compared to an authentic watch should be enough.

Also, I don't think your phone is causing the details to look bad. If that was the case, all of the watch details when zoomed in on would look off. More likely, it's that the phone's magnification capability is showing things that your naked eye (plus whatever level of magnifier used) isn't able to see IRL.

I see. This is the AD TAG asked me to use to very the watch. Still the idea was at that time to send the watch in but i felt it would be unnecessary if they just could confirm.
Would TAG answer a question on use of Swiss Parts movement if I asked them?
If you can get TAG to answer the question that would be best. I have very little confidence in an AD's ability to verify. You already had others erroneously say it's authentic, when it's an obvious fake.

Question asked 😀
I hope you also asked TAG to confirm the number of Jewels as 13, not just the "Swiss Parts" vs "Swiss".

As an alternate source of evidence, these sites also state your movement should have 13 Jewels, but your movement states 6.
https://watchesandbeyond.com/produc...-date-divers-quartz-mens-watch-cay111b-ba0927
https://watchcharts.com/watch_model...r-300m-quartz-chronograph-43-cay111b/overview

Along with all the photographic evidence showing the visual differences, the fact that your movement only has 6 Jewels should be sufficient to convince ebay. Or at least I would hope so. With the huge number of fakes out there, there's no way TAG Heuer could be bothered to verify all of these on a daily basis.
Edited: