Forums Latest Members

New Post- How to Spot a Fake TAG Heuer

1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 8, 2020

As the replica watches keep getting closer to the real thing, I now think we've passed a threshold where it's not really possible to judge the difference between the best replica TAG Heuer and the real thing. No question that with a series of high-res photos, the team on this forum can (and do) spot the differences, but what hope does the average buyer have?

I was keen to write something that gave it straight, because if you believe the majority of other guides out there, people can get lulled into a false sense of security:

https://www.calibre11.com/how-to-spot-a-fake-tag-heuer/

[​IMG]

kappa_md, imagwai and Jim Dollares like this.
  2. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Nov 8, 2020

"Can’t afford the price of a new TAG Heuer? Then buy another brand, or buy an older TAG Heuer. "

Ok :oops:

Harsch but good and honest text! Damn it, I have felt so confident recently that my next purchase will be grey market but now Im not so sure again

Anthony.R and Turpinr like this.
  3. Calibre11

Maybe it is a bit harsh, but I just don't think I would trust buying an Aquaracer/ F1 given the quality of the fakes. I don't believe that there is a clone of the Heuer 02 movement yet, but unfortunately I'd guess that it's only a matter of time :(

Jim Dollares likes this.
  4. Turpinr

Turpinr Nov 8, 2020

The most telling point for me was the comment about the generic ' how to spot a fake (insert watch) guide which is well out of date.
    The fake Aquaracers would certainly fool me I have to admit, so there's no way I would consider buying one from Ebay or such like.

5. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 8, 2020

I wouldn't rule out buying F1s or Aquaracers from eBay completely. But would I buy a Gulf F1, a third Gen F1, or a post 2015 Aquaracer? Not a chance.

Edited Nov 8, 2020
  6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 8, 2020

My thoughts exactly David, these watches will get into the system and be sold by 'reputable' sellers who simply don't realise... and from the experience of the forum I would say trust in TH ability to spot fakes of their own watches isn't that high either, albeit we are talking about watches from pre-LVMH (I'm thinking about those dodgy looking 1000s that TAG claimed were real).
    I did talk to TAG about testing watches and while they wouldn't tell me exactly what they do they did say the testing is quite detailed and included tests on metallurgy. But again, while this probably stands up with LVMH pieces, I'm not sure TAG Heuer in the 80s and 90s were really invested in quality control and authentication the way they hopefully are now.
    Ultimately though, you are right, the best thing is simply to buy from a boutique or from the outlet stores, as at least then you know for sure you are getting a pukka watch.

Jim Dollares likes this.
  7. imagwai

imagwai Nov 8, 2020

I wouldn't exclude buying a used Aquaracer from eBay completely. Provided the buyer had good feedback and there was good evidence it was bought in my country from an AD (receipts, dealer bag, warranty card I could verify with TAG, etc.). Also, buying in eBay does confer some protection.

But you really need to know what you're doing and what to look for.

An example of the people who get suckered might be the girlfriend who buys a TAG for their partner thinking they're getting a genuine watch for a bargain price. Or indeed anyone who isn't aware of how good these fakes have got. In that respect, this is a timely article.

Remo likes this.
  8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 8, 2020

Just added a load more fakes to the usual thread, I see they've started making James Hunt and Aston Martin F1s now, but why does everything get a Red Bull backplate?

9. Remo

Remo Nov 8, 2020

Some brands like Vacheron Constantin and Breitling are starting to use Blockchain technology to solve the problem. 'Proof Blockchain Provenance seems to be already used some time in the jewelry market.
    I guess it's only a matter of time until LVMH will use this, too. If this is the case, then only some watches produced between the older models and the newer blockchain models will be the ones with uncertainity of provenance.

10. kappa_md

kappa_md Nov 8, 2020

Replicas are so good nowadays, (AAA+) with complete packaging & paperwork, that there is NO actual distinction from the “authentic” unless opened up and scrutinized by TAG Heuer AD/Service. That is the simple reason why I’ve stopped commenting on watches asking if their newly acquired watches are “authentic, legit, genuine”. Before you buy the watch, buy the seller. Unfortunately buying at TH Boutiques or ADs come with a premium, but it also comes with very one important thing, peace of mind.

You probably don’t want to give to your family or resell something you thought as “genuine TAG Heuer” then afterwards called as “fake” after dissecting the watch. Money is one thing, but trust & credibility is another, which money can’t just easily buy.

Great article DC! Someone finally said it straight. There are great brands at different pricepoints, you need not dwell into replicas if you are just riding into a certain “luxury” brand.

11. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 8, 2020

I think there's a lot to be said for sticking in your pay grade. Looking at watches that cost more than a few months salary is a quick route to heartache, either you'll be too scared to wear it or you'll regret it. If you can't afford a genuine TAG Heuer it's better to get a Seiko or something similar and enjoy it in the knowledge that you are wearing something genuine.

12. Calibre11

I have seen the brands starting with blockchain- makes a lot of sense and could well be the answer

13. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 8, 2020

I read an article about blockchain and I still didn't understand it.

14. El Matarife

El Matarife Nov 8, 2020

Nobody does, and anyone who says they do is lying! Just like quantum mechanics.

15. kappa_md

kappa_md Nov 8, 2020

Every watch will basically have an e-passport, digital identity. I get it. I’m not sure if some form of code or QR code etc will be used and printed on the watch.. Nowadays, everytime you purchase a new TAG Heuer watch, the boutique or AD automatically registers your watch on the date of purchase for warranty validity.

16. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 8, 2020

Oh yes I remember now, someone made a watch with a QR code dial didn't they? I still don't really understand it, any more than I understand Bitcoin.

17. kappa_md

kappa_md Nov 8, 2020

The technology is still in its infancy so the details might not be as clear. Or they want to keep it “secret” that way? LVMH will be bringing the same type of security verification system called Aura. I guess that will encompass all brands under LVMH including TAG Heuer. This is doable for new watches but how about for old ones ::confused2:: Like anything in this world, digitial hackers will have a way into it, it’s just a matter of time.. ::censored::

18. Calibre11

19. Ara

Ara Nov 8, 2020

Calibre11, Anthony.R and Jim Dollares like this.
  20. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 9, 2020

Wish they explained how it works! If it basically comes down to a barcode on the backplate, isn't that fakeable?