Heuer and Tag Heuer 1000 Restoration Parts and Service

Its a shame the old PVDs are so fragile, I think the back/gold looks fantastic, but I would want any wear on it to be my wear, not someone elses.

Would it be possible to put a calibre 7 GMT movement in a 1000 automatic case?

Ive it tried that movement before but the day date autos fit which are thicker than the normal date only. I would have to do some research on that one.

Ive it tried that movement before but the day date autos fit which are thicker than the normal date only. I would have to do some research on that one.

I would be very interested in what you find out, I really need a GMT watch because I travel a lot for work, but cannot find one that I like. My musings on which GMT watch to buy is really topic for another thread, but unless TAG release a GMT aquaracer this year, a custom 1000 would cross off my need for a classic diver and a GMT :)

The movement that might work would be a 2893 and you would need to know a few different measurements:

a. Stem height of both (2893 and 2824)
b. hand hole sizes for 2893
c. cannon pinion height (to see if there is enough room under the crystal to accommodate an extra hand)
d. Diameter of the GMT hand (if its the largest) and the center hole of the dial to see if the GMT hand would rub the dial

Answer those and you just may be onto something. The 2893 is just a GMT version of the 2892. The 2892 is slimmer than the 2824 (in stem height) so unless the GMT function increases that (which I doubt as the complication doesn't increase the stem height) I am thinking this is a no-go.

I could be wrong but who knows, If you sent the parts and watch I could give it a shot.

I have set up a simple website in which I will be posting pics (in addition to here of course) and some parts as well. If you have any questions you can always ask here, PM, or email too.

Again, this is just something I wanted to try out and I am a beginner at this. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

http://www.tag1000diver.com/

It is a work in progress to as I clearly don't have much on there right now.

New watch in for service.....an estate sale find....an auto Monnin!

She's gonna spend some time at the spa for general cleaning, reseal, and to investigate a couple movement issues.

This example has Mercedes hands which appear to be either original or replaced long ago due to the style and condition of the lume.

Here it is stripped down, pretty dirty under the bezel but overall very nice.

Check out the matte texture of the dial. Simply gorgeous, one of the defining characteristics of the Monnin and something not replicated on the Swiss versions.

Lovely piece J-beautiful dial! I think I agree, the hands do seem to be original-I'll have to look into it. Given our previous discussion on bezels too, interesting to see this with a pip....... all parts considered, to me this smacks of a transitional model.....

I failed to mention that it is an early bezel. There is wear around the inner edge that looks just like the later tramline bezels. I didn't even notice this until I removed it, not that I was looking at that part at the time. I couldn't stop staring at the dial

After working on the Monnin all this afternoon and evening I have her back together and running strong.

The winding and calendar issue was all traced back to a faulty crown with stripped internals preventing the dare from being set or winding.

With all parts in stock this watch has been ultrasonically cleaned, all new seals, a sapphire crystal, and a new crown.

Ready to be shipped back to the owner after timing and pressure testing.

Message from Jon330 here on Calibre11 that was intended to go here:

"
A quick note for Justin to publicly thank him for the work he performed on my Tag1000, I was given the watch on my 16th birthday and I am now 48. Needless to say it needed a lot of time care and attention to bring it back to life. The watch now looks like the day it was bought, Justin has been honest, and performed his work to the highest standard at a more than fair price. I cannot begin to tell you the stories this watch has over the years, its been to over 50 countries flown over the north pole, served in the military while I was in the RAF. May it travel, and continue to experience so many more great adventures. Justin please feel free to post any before and after pictures as you feel are appropriate. Once again,
Thank you!
Jon"

It's been a busy month and I haven't had much spare time but I wanted to throw out what I've been working on.

Freshly restored 980.006:

980.013 restoration for South African customer and also a custom jumbo cased automatic build for a customer in LA.

I swear this was already far along into the build stage prior to the release of the Tudor Black Bay Bronze (blue version for Bucherer), that said I guess...here's my tribute to the Tudor:

Built from a chrome plated Heuer 1000 diver that had a very poor case with base metal (brass) showing through on the majority of the case. After a thorough cleaning, chrome removal, polishing, and finishing of the case it was ready for assembly (test crown fitted, a new crown will be installed once it arrives).

It's freshly finished brass will develop a patina similar to a bronze watch.

I swear this was already far along into the build stage prior to the release of the Tudor Black Bay Bronze (blue version for Bucherer), that said I guess...here's my tribute to the Tudor:

Built from a chrome plated Heuer 1000 diver that had a very poor case with base metal (brass) showing through on the majority of the case. After a thorough cleaning, chrome removal, polishing, and finishing of the case it was ready for assembly (test crown fitted, a new crown will be installed once it arrives).

It's freshly finished brass will develop a patina similar to a bronze watch.

That looks amazing! Great job

Thanks, I've been wearing it ever since I finished it. I can't take it off, the wife hates it and I'm not generally a fan of gold, but it just looks cool imho.

I can't wait to get the new crown on it to complete it.

One note, the chrome plated brass cases do not have a ratcheting bezel but I was able to successfully install the gold plated bezel and click spring so it functions the same as the non-economy versions (one carefully drilled hole required :).

I have tried multiple times on previous 980.033 cases to install a SS bezel to no avail but this one went on great.

I brought out this rare beast after my good ol' buddy Steve got me thinking about it again (don't worry Steve, I'm on the hunt for an olive dial for you ;)

Olive on olive 38mm thick case. Near mint