Heuer and Tag Heuer 1000 Restoration Parts and Service

It needed a new movement, hands, crown, all of the gaskets, bezel insert, bezel spring, crystal (upgraded to sapphire). The movement was quite rusted inside due to the water intrusion as well as a leaking battery.

We left the patina intact on the case but overall a very nice example being put back into daily use after sitting in a drawer for 20+ years. The hands were so rusty that they had to be replaced with aftermarket hands.

New member to Calibre11 and it's nice to find someone who seems knowledgeable about the 'proper' 1000 series! ;)

I've been looking for a while for information on the 1000 series and it's only now that I'm starting to find some decent information.

I have an 844/5 that my father gave me for my 18th (I'm well over 40 now). I've worn it for probably 95% of that time, so it's a little battered to say the least. I'd never part with it though.

It's been serviced by Tag a couple of times over those years, and it seems to need another service again - but I wanted to ask a couple of questions of anyone knowledgeable to understand what might be the issue.

Firstly - the crown seal has done something 'odd'. I can no-longer screw the crown down fully so the watch isn't sealing correctly - I've stopped wearing it as a result. Any thoughts?

Secondly - ever since it came back from it's last service (around 5-8 years ago), I've found that screwing down the crown ALSO seems to wind the spring.
Previously, the crown had 4 positions (going from outermost):
1) engagment to hands for adjustment,
2) engagement to date for adjustment,
3) engagement to spring for winding,
4) 'free' (not engaged to anything else) to screw down crown on seal.
I'm convinced that that is the 'correct' behaviour.
But - as said - since the last service it seems as if the 4th position wasn't dis-engaged from the spring winder. (I could hear the winder in action as I screwed the crown down) Would this be due to an issue with the seal? Or possibly has the movement been replaced?? (I'd hope not!)
When the watch went off for that service it was in a pretty bad way I'll be honest - the second hand had fallen off and the glass was badly scratched!

Any advice would be welcome before I send it off for another service.
I'm UK based for reference.

If anyone would like photos I can try to put some up.

@automobilia42 and @Jkbenn02 thanks for the info, helps me know what to look for when browsing ebay. I can only have a PVD watch if the finish is mint, so I'll be looking for a silver one I think.

First issue: The threads on the crown or tube are most likely the issue. Usually this can be from cross-threading or just normal wear over the course of a long life. This can usually be corrected with just a new crown but new tube could be a possibility as well. This is a common issue so no worries (to screw down crowns in general, not a weakness in the actual design)

Second, it could be a matter of stem length or it could be wear on the keyless works (from my experience with the 2824 series). I've seen plenty of watches from many brands that were both ways so I wouldn't say it is something to worry about. It's when it stops winding or you lose one of the other 3 positions that causes the problems :) I don't think it could be the seal unless it was deteriorated to the point pieces broke off and were jammed up inside there (not common).

Sometimes movements get replaced during service BUT it could've just as easily been cleaned and serviced, perhaps internal parts were required that no longer allowed the stem to not engage the winding mechanism when pushed further in. Make sure when you send a watch to Tag or any other person that you request that replaced parts are returned. That generally gives a good indication of what was replaced.

First issue: The threads on the crown or tube are most likely the issue. Usually this can be from cross-threading or just normal wear over the course of a long life. This can usually be corrected with just a new crown but new tube could be a possibility as well. This is a common issue so no worries (to screw down crowns in general, not a weakness in the actual design)

Second, it could be a matter of stem length or it could be wear on the keyless works (from my experience with the 2824 series). I've seen plenty of watches from many brands that were both ways so I wouldn't say it is something to worry about. It's when it stops winding or you lose one of the other 3 positions that causes the problems :) I don't think it could be the seal unless it was deteriorated to the point pieces broke off and were jammed up inside there (not common).

Sometimes movements get replaced during service BUT it could've just as easily been cleaned and serviced, perhaps internal parts were required that no longer allowed the stem to not engage the winding mechanism when pushed further in. Make sure when you send a watch to Tag or any other person that you request that replaced parts are returned. That generally gives a good indication of what was replaced.

Cheers JkB - the advice about the parts I like!

As Jkbenn02 explained above very well, compliments, that would be my answer too, I suspect the keyless works acting different after last service as the most obvious one.
See if you can get a hold of the last service bill if you can make anything out of that, parts used, description etc.
Please get that crown issue solved quickly so you can wear the watch safe again! :thumbsup:

Would you say that getting the servicing done via a Tag dealer (and thus, presumably by Tag themselves) is the best route?

I'll take a look for that last bill - but it's unlikely that I still have it. (have moved house about 8 times since then!!)

Good luck, most are turned away citing "we no longer have parts for this model". Any certified watchmaker can rebuild a 2824-2 with their eyes closed so it's not a rare movement nor a hard one to service. I'll send you a message about this.

Exactly as stated above by Jkbenn02, you need a watchmaker that knows what he's doing, take the correct diagnose and work from that.
As you stated the last service was 5-8 years ago it needs servicing anyways to perform as it should.

If you don't need Heuer-specific parts (which they don't have anyways) then for sure, find someone local to service it (that you TRUST or can be vouched for). Send me a message if you need any other help.
Edited:

Just remember, we are thinking up loud overhere with you, we would never advice you NOT to send it over to TAG Heuer/ LVMH for a service. But if you get it returned back with the message that they can't help you out or an estimate that you can't live with, there are other ways to get your watch repaired correctly. ;)

Maybe I'm in left field over here by myself but check around other forums, most don't share the same sentiment. I trust a large handful of other people and/or shops with my watches than corporate repair facilities (Omega and Tag specifically). Vintage watches need to be handled by someone you trust and that can listen. Those corporate places RARELY listen.

I've seen way to many horror stories of the corporate place replacing perfectly good (and patina'd) parts EVEN THOUGH THE OWNER REQUESTED THAT THEY NOT BE CHANGED (not yelling, just emphasizing). I listen and only work on what I am told, they have their "policies and bureaucracy" to deal with. These are just my experiences and impressions, think and decide for yourselves people.

For example, all you may want is freshly serviced internals though Tag or Omega may not agree and will replace every old part (even sometimes with incorrect parts...e.g. different hands, dials, etc).

I would LOVE to be proven wrong as I wish that some of these pieces (1000s) could get the genuine parts they require but they just don't have the support at this time.

I get contacted by way too many owners that have sent them to the Tag facility only to get rejected....just saying.

After the warranty expires on my watches I don't trust anyone else but myself to repair and service them, haha, as I go with the motto:
"Good is good and the rest is nonsense".
I don't care how long it takes me to get to that point or what I need for it, but I want it 100% in my eyes, period.
Luckily all my customers think the same way.
And I have also seen too many wrecked vintage watches, or heard drama stories about watchmaker x who worked for 14 months(!) on a watch just to let it perform for a week until it stopped again by some stupid solution the watchmaker made... just tell the customer you can't help them, is that so hard?
So no more drama, I totally feel your sentiment Jkbenn02, now let's get back to watchmaking!
Here's a nice one I am working on, 980.913N, for my own collection of course, red dial and bezel!

P1240789.JPG

Love those, I have one that needs a new dial. Who is doing yours?
I have send out two dials in the past but stopped with that because of the result which I wasn't satisfied about, color was a bit off in the sun.
Nowadays I either do it myself, pick one out of my new old stock ones or buy the best dial I can find.

Cheers for the advice all! I might try to contact Tag directly in the first instance (rather than going through my local dealer), thanks for the suggestions of repairers.

some photos if anyone is interested:
32041705824_22ae892876.jpg

with the flash the scratches on the bezel really stand out.
32041708814_239d298092.jpg

more here :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rockburner/albums/72157680207943006

image.jpg Help, as I've posted in another thread my watch needs a couple of face markers, God only knows where they went over the years, I had hoped that they would appear from inside the old mechanism when removed but no. Cheers folks.

My guess would be that one of the hands has been grinding them down slowly over the years.

These are no applied indices, just paint and lume plots. You could paint the markers back and add lume to complete it. BUT that will be very hard to get a good result by hand.