End of an era....

Or doesn't support the 'official' legacy story.

You can bet there won't be much written about the 80s or 90s, let's just pretend it never happened

You can bet there won't be much written about the 80s or 90s, let's just pretend it never happened

Did you know that Freddy invented the Monaco back in 1969? True story.

Strange to see so many negative responses to content that hasn't even been published yet. People worried about postings being shortened to a couple of paragraphs each; personal opinions of DC being removed; 80s and 90s being ignored? So much negativity about content that has not yet been published. Strange.

Strange to see so many negative responses to content that hasn't even been published yet. People worried about postings being shortened to a couple of paragraphs each; personal opinions of DC being removed; 80s and 90s being ignored? So much negativity about content that has not yet been published. Strange.
Feel free to share with us if you have any insights on what to expect. I don't find it strange at all, a bunch of the world's biggest TAG Heuer fans had a favourite TAG collector website. That website was suddenly shut down without any explanation what so ever. What we were left with was a bunch of speculation on what seemed to be TAG Heuer shutting the thing down.

Add also that we have little trust in TAG Heuer themselves being able to put these things together well. Endless examples of not knowing their own history, celebrating Carrera anniversary in the wrong year, posting incorrect photos showing a different model than the one described in a heritage text, a Monaco book so flooded with grammatical errors you were wondering if anyone even considered proof reading it and so on.

I understand that you are bias with a close and well functioning relationship directly with TAG Heuer but I just had to say I think it makes 100% sense that collectors on this forum are sceptic.

I am happy to share information and opinions in postings, but I just don't see the purpose of the uninformed speculation, grumbling, whining and negative tone . . . but others may enjoy these "discussions".

If we cant come here to whine about our number one favourite watch brand in the world, where should we do it :rolleyes: it cant all be love and praise

I believe that the 80s and 90s were glorious decades for Heuer / TAG Heuer. The dive watches gave the company a way of surviving (while other watch brands failed), and then we saw the first of the re-issues -- Carrera and Monaco. Other than the Autavia, every collection in the current TAG Heuer catalog had its origins (or rebirth) in these decades. I expect that any history of the Heuer and TAG Heuer brands will proudly share the history of the 1980s and 1990s.

So @Jeff Stein are you involved in building this new heritage TAG Heuer archive database? If yes, I am certain we all feel more comfort that the end result will be good.

In the end what we all want is one number one mega source for all history of TAG Heuer. On the other hand such place already exists ;) http://tagheuerenthusiast.blogspot.com/

Many of the people posting on this site have a great loyalty to David, appreciate the quality, depth and accuracy of his writing, and feel that TAG are dumbing down his content to fit their narrative.

. . . and feel that TAG are dumbing down his content to fit their narrative.
If there is any evidence of this, I would love to see it!! "Are" is a present tense verb . . . so is this something that is happening right now?

So he sold the site? So far from what I have seen on the Formula 1 is a fraction of what Calibre11 had. Anyone take a backup of the site?

So @Jeff Stein are you involved in building this new heritage TAG Heuer archive database? If yes, I am certain we all feel more comfort that the end result will be good.

In the end what we all want is one number one mega source for all history of TAG Heuer. On the other hand such place already exists ;) http://tagheuerenthusiast.blogspot.com/

I have been to your blog its good but it is hard to compete with the years of research and writing from Calibre11.

Considering whatever deal was struck has caused David to essentially disappear from the hobby altogether, and that this very forum risked disappearance before the Omega Forums admins stepped in and created a new site to host it, I think this community’s negative outlook on whatever this TAG project is is fairly earned… I do hope the end result is a good one (and I do think TAG has been doing better on the heritage front in the last number of years) but I would not be so quick to dismiss the bitter taste this has left on this small but very tight-knit community.

I think the only reason for any scepticism on my part is that we were told the content would be kept and improved, but nearly a year on and there isn't much evidence of anything happening. Maybe the best things come to those who wait, but we all have experience of dealing with large organisations I suppose. On the other hand, it looks like they might have listened and be bringing me a panda Carrera in the new year, so perhaps all will be forgiven.

In any case, the biggest disappointment for me isn't the loss of the content, it's the loss of David's participation in the forums. I hope he's doing OK.

I believe that the 80s and 90s were glorious decades for Heuer / TAG Heuer. The dive watches gave the company a way of surviving (while other watch brands failed), and then we saw the first of the re-issues -- Carrera and Monaco. Other than the Autavia, every collection in the current TAG Heuer catalog had its origins (or rebirth) in these decades. I expect that any history of the Heuer and TAG Heuer brands will proudly share the history of the 1980s and 1990s.

Hmm. Well... I guess by the 90s I wasn't really talking about re-issues of 60s watches! The thing is TAG are obviously focussed on their business of selling current watches, and I guess with that in mind there isn't much point to writing about watches that no longer exist, like the S/EL, the Kirium, 4000 Series, 3000 Series, 1500 Series, 2000 Exclusive etc... that's what I mean by ignoring their own history.

Plus they have a certain way of writing about things to suit the current narrative. Like for example pretending as if the Aquaracer was an evolution of the 1000 Series, rather than the 2000 Series (which cuts a whole lot less ice with vintage collectors). It's things like that that rankle a bit.

But yeah, okay. We don't exactly have a lot to base our opinions on as yet. It just seems like this once great resource is now gone and I for one don't believe more than a tiny percentage of it will see the light again.

I don’t have anything substantive to add other than to say I was GUTTED while reading that C11 was closing. :(

Many thanks to those of you behind the scenes (@Hubert and @Albert-AMG for starters) who kept our forum going.

My apology for jumping in and now jumping out, but discussing postings that have not yet been published does not seem to be productive. Same for the "did he jump or was he pushed?" / "he said, she said" about why David decided to shut down Calibre11.com, stop posting here and transfer his Instagram account. I respect what David created over the years and sense the tremendous loyalty of this community to him. That's all I have for now.

My apology for jumping in and now jumping out, but discussing postings that have not yet been published does not seem to be productive. Same for the "did he jump or was he pushed?" / "he said, she said" about why David decided to shut down Calibre11.com, stop posting here and transfer his Instagram account. I respect what David created over the years and sense the tremendous loyalty of this community to him. That's all I have for now.

When I walked out of the TH museum last September, I had a positive impression of their heritage work. When I was told this is going to happen, I'm looking forward to meet everyone on the opening day of the renewed museum next year. A lot of discussions and especially many passionate stories will be going around! (and some air cleaning;) See you guys/girls at the opening party!

I have been to your blog its good but it is hard to compete with the years of research and writing from Calibre11.

I'll take that backhanded compliment.... and I think you'll find it's my blog.