Forums Latest Members

COCO Watch of the Year discussion thread....

1. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Dec 28, 2020

Dont forget that the Aquaracer also has anti reflective coating so you can actually tell the time easily when there are many light sources around :cool:

...but a negative I guess is that the Aquaracer has the crappiest movement ever and is guaranteed to break after 2 years and 1 month when warranty has expired :D

dtf likes this.
  2. Jim Dollares

Have to say great work and big thanks to Robert for arranging this whole thing! It is very fun to contribute to the COCO but especially now to see the results :) 2020 has been a strange year but there has been more watch releases and content in general than I expected when world went into lockdown.

Albert-AMG and Aquagraph like this.
  3. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Dec 28, 2020

I’m wondering what the January sales will bring from the ADs, once they re open?

4. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Dec 28, 2020

I saw Beaverbrooks sale.... it was pretty lame. There were three TAG Heuers on offer, but nothing anyone here would want to buy.

5. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Dec 28, 2020

Well I'm already looking at ways to utilise you guys more in the future. It was never intended to be a one off, but at the same time it will delay me too much to get everyone's score each time a new watch comes out.

Jim Dollares likes this.
  6. Jim Dollares

Good! Will go update my instagram presentation and let the world know I am a member of the Counsil of Considered Opinion

Remo, Albert-AMG and Pitfitter446 like this.
  7. Jim Dollares

This kind of expression has always felt so... wrong... paying thousands of dollars for a watch is not something a poor man could ever do. "Poor man's..." just because it costs 3500 dollar instead of 8500... I understand what people mean by it but still.

8. abrod520

abrod520 Dec 28, 2020

Not by a long shot, please read my comments a bit closer :whistling: ;)

Jim Dollares likes this.
  9. abrod520

abrod520 Dec 28, 2020

Oh and I missed the Aquaracer GMT comment, but note that that was @dtf who said that and not me...
    I may not like the BLNR copy but I think the blue/red AR GMT is all right, if maybe a bit too large.

As for the Black Bay GMT well.... let's just say there's not a single Rolex, GMT or otherwise, in the current lineup that elicits even the slightest feeling from me. But the BB GMT was so fantastic that I bought it on the spot the very first time I found one in an AD - and don't regret it one bit :coffee:

Mspeedster and Jim Dollares like this.
  10. Jim Dollares

Hehe Im just messing with you a bit. Probably just because Im jelous of your silver Carrera ::bleh::

abrod520 likes this.
  11. Jim Dollares

Yup I saw that was dtf.

Do agree that it should be smaller, the 41mm Aquaracers wear perfectly on me

12. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Dec 28, 2020

Can't agree with that. 43mm slightly too big, 41mm definitely too small.

Jim Dollares likes this.
  13. abrod520

abrod520 Dec 28, 2020

I don't know that I've ever tried on a 41, but I have it on good authority that the 43 outsells the 41 by an enormous margin - at least here in the States. So maybe a 42 would be a good compromise, 41.5 maybe even.

I haven't tried on a 43mm in a very long time though and recently I've found more peace with 42mm+ watches, so maybe I'd like it more. Might try making it to 5th Ave on Thursday to check them out since I've got the day off.

14. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Dec 28, 2020

Let's be honest though, the Aquaracer looks 1000 times better!

Albert-AMG likes this.
  15. imagwai

imagwai Dec 28, 2020

Knowing TAG, their next move will be to up it to 44mm :)

Jim Dollares likes this.
  16. dtf

dtf Dec 28, 2020

In that case I meant that the pepsi AR gmt is a blatant copy of the rolex, the colourway is so rolex that anyone who sees it, expects it to be a gmt master. I'm particularly frustrated that tag have managed to produce what I feel is the best looking modern dive watch, then felt compelled to copy the colourway for the gmt to turn it into a rolex clone.

I was being a little tongue in cheek when I described the bb gmt like that, I completly agree with you there. I really must get around to buying one! I compared the regular bb with the gmt master before the bb gmt came out and much prefer the bb case design, I hate the wide, squared off lugs on the gmt/sub

It depends on the day. Most of the time the 41mn looks fine, sometimes it looks small.

Jim Dollares likes this.
  17. abrod520

abrod520 Dec 28, 2020

Haha frankly man both make me a little nauseous. But I'm not really a fan of gold in general and definitely not two-tone, no matter who's making it!
    Except here & there when the gold is used for accents rather than a main part of the design I suppose, but still

18. abrod520

abrod520 Dec 28, 2020

No, their next move will be perfecting it, and then upping it to 44mm ::facepalm2::

19. abrod520

abrod520 Dec 28, 2020

Well there is precedent for it if you look at the Autavia GMT models that appeared in the mid 1960s and then became a mainstay from 1969-1975 or so. So while back then it was still pretty much copying Rolex, the watch had real function and so it copied that rather than just style, y'know?

I hate hate hate the current maxi-case, I think it ruins the Sub and GMT and everything it touches. But modern Rolex doesn't interest me anyway so I couldn't really care less honestly. Tudor has been essentially "Rolex but make it interesting for a change and for half off too" for a long time, and the Black Bay divers are emblematic of that IMO. The GMT was truly bewitching and I really love mine... I must warn you though; do not go try one on at an AD unless you're ready to spend $3600 or whatever the MSRP is, that day :D

Jim Dollares and Mspeedster like this.
  20. kappa_md

kappa_md Dec 28, 2020

If you look at the history of the Heuer Diver which eventually became the current TAG Heuer Aquaracer, history tells us that it closely resembles the design of the popular Rolex Submariner. Heuer survived in the early 80s due to the popularity of the Heuer Diver which offers an alternative option and gives watch lovers all the best qualities of the other Swiss brands. They were relatively affordable, extremely reliable and was made as an outstounding tool watch! Even James Bond had to wear one ;)

But in fairness to the TAG Heuer Aquaracer, in my humble modest collection, none actually resemble any tool diver watch owing to them being chronographs and all with different movements :thumbsup:

And that is why I LOVE my TAG Heuer Aquaracers ::love::
    94E4C6D3-F859-4EF8-8A21-BDFCC95399BD.jpeg

Jim Dollares likes this.