Forums Latest Members

COCO Watch of the Year discussion thread....

1. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Dec 26, 2020

Seconds ago I published my second COCO Watch of the Year post, revealing the full scores and the winner of the COCO Watch of the Year.

http://tagheuerenthusiast.blogspot.com/2020/12/feature-council-of-considered-opinion.html

At Abrod520's suggestion I am henceforth starting this thread for you guys to discuss your decisions and scoring, Abrod520's rather strident comments and to start it off here's a few words from DTF:

The Silver 160th anniversary is a marmite watch for me, I suspect I'll either reach for the credit card, or yawn when I try one on - I can't call it from the photo. I really like how they made the Senna F1 with a link strap as a homage to the SEL, even though I would never buy it. The Batman GMT is an interesting one, I can't help but feel if they had released a plain black bezel GMT, particularly if it was a no-date, I would have bought one by now, but both the AR GMTs feel like a poor man's Rolex...and if I was to buy a poor mans Rolex, it will clearly be a black bay GMT. I really like how they made the camo strapped tourbillon, and the khaki bezel AR seems like a fun, honest, tool watch.

Overall I say watch of the year is the WAY208F Bamford Titanium Aquaracer, because its the only genuinely new, distinctive, unique, thing of the year.

Jim Dollares, Remo, THJunkie and 2 others like this.
  2. imagwai

imagwai Dec 26, 2020

Silver 160th is rightfully in top spot imo - clearly the pick of the bunch. The Carrera Elegant line comes a distant second for me, closely followed by the Bamford Aquaracer. The rest - well it's quite a long list isn't it! Maybe 2021 will bring more quality and less quantity? :)

kappa_md, Aquagraph and Pitfitter446 like this.
  3. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Dec 26, 2020

I knew the Silver Carrera would take it. More COCO members have bought this watch than any other, and people are naturally biased to vote for something they own.

While I personally would buy the Silver 160 over just about anything else TH came out with this year, from an unbiased perspective, I didn't think it was WOTY. Because it's a redo (albeit very well done redo) of well known established vintage design. OTOH, I felt the Bamford "AquaRadar" was more deserving, as it served up something quite unique, creative & fresh.

Anthony.R and Aquagraph like this.
  4. abrod520

abrod520 Dec 26, 2020

Hah! I thought some other members had sent comments too though, no? But looking forward to what everyone else has got to say.

Glad to see the 160 won as well it should - I'd like to reiterate my comment that it would have a really good shot at being the overall Watch of the Year, not just from TAG.

Come @ me! :D :D

kappa_md and Aquagraph like this.
  5. abrod520

abrod520 Dec 26, 2020

Oh - I'm also quite surprised, but I was not the one who gave the -1 score LMAO. I need to know who did, and to what!

dtf likes this.
  6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Dec 26, 2020

Well.... I can't tell you that.

But I can tell you which watches got the most 'ones'.... a sort of 'Worst Watch of the Year'

=1. Bamford Coffee Carrera - 8
    =1. WBC131F Link (Ladies plain bezel) - 8
    =1. WBC131G Link (Ladies diamond bezel) - 8
    4. WBD2120 Aquaracer (Blue/Two Tone) - 7
    5. WAY201U Aquaracer (Qatar red/white bezel) - 6
    6. WBE5192 Autavia (Red dial) - 5
    7. WAZ1018 Formula (Anthracite/Red) - 4

The person who gave the -1 also just put a cross through the two-tone Aquaracer.... maybe they will fess up to their crimes? :eek:

The two tone - blue dial Aquaracer did really badly, but it did get one '5' and one '4'. Having seen it in a cabinet myself I had to give it a 3.

7. abrod520

abrod520 Dec 26, 2020

[​IMG]

And here I thought I was maybe a bit too hard-line!

Jim Dollares likes this.
  8. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Dec 26, 2020

Called it! Well deserved top spot for the silver. It managed to overcome the glassbox and still be my favorite watch of 2020.
    PXL_20201023_004425878.jpg

9. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Dec 26, 2020

I only gave out two 5s; one was the Bamford Aquaracer and the other was the Batman Aquaracer.
    My WOTY vote went to the Bamford and I gave the CBK221B a '3', simply because it's too 'retro' for my tastes.
    I didn't give out any 1s.
    I gave several 2's though: the brown Aquaracer, the green Carrera sports (because the green is horrible) and the ladies Link with the diamond bezel (much better without the extra bling).

10. kappa_md

kappa_md Dec 26, 2020

The Carrera Silver 160 was a sureball WINNER ::psy:: FTW!
    F70852F9-5B5E-4B38-91FF-F063040B74CD.jpeg
    It started TAG Heuer’s 2020 on the highest note ::rimshot:: and the JH88 Rose Gold Carrera taking the 2nd podium rounding up the year. I wasn’t surprised with the list actually and with the Bamford Aquaradar & the Carrera Montreal sharing the last podium.

2nd-5th spots actually share very close and tight scores and with the Carrera Silver 160 way way on top (88) with no one giving it the lowest score ;) Clearly speaks volume and way ahead from the competition :thumbsup:
    I mentioned this even before, even non-owners of TAG Heuer/Heuer had to take a 2nd-closer look on the brand and wanted to get a piece of it as part of their collection. It can be elegant, sporty and casual. It’s very versatile and no other watch can claim its rightful place in the Swiss watch industry greats :thumbsup: This is why the Carrera is such ICONIC in the 1st place.

For a TAG Heuer enthusiast like me, owning a piece of JH’s Carrera with the original design principle behind it, built in a modern package is like a “dream come true” (like owning an SMQ King of Cool Monaco :cool:)
    DDB3BBFD-8694-4D49-B476-430828372334.jpeg

thingziliketoo and Remo like this.
  11. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Dec 26, 2020

The CBK221B only got one '2'.... and that was from my wife! :eek:

Yago likes this.
  12. Yago

Yago Dec 27, 2020

The Carrera LE’s and the Aquaradar saved the year!
    Very amusing comments @abrod520 :)
    Have to agree with just about all of em.
    Next year I hope the master of ceremony will allow us to score 0/5 ::stirthepot::

abrod520 likes this.
  13. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Dec 27, 2020

Maybe.... I will also probably do the scores out of 10.

And Mspeedster will start be difficult and give half marks!!!

Mspeedster likes this.
  14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Dec 27, 2020

Did anyone actually think that anything but the CBK221B would win?

15. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Dec 27, 2020

Yes, I did.

Aquagraph likes this.
  16. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Dec 27, 2020

Most of the stuff make sense on a worst watch of the year list but I do not agree about WBD2120 ::censored::

Blue sun burst dial combined with two tone with yellow gold plating ::bleh:: yes please!!

Remo and Aquagraph like this.
  17. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Dec 27, 2020

Wow Adam is really not a fan of TAG Heuer :eek: harsch words indeed!

I dont understand the comment about the Aquaracer...

"The Aquaracer line-up continues to be a mix of:
    -Rolex Submariner style rip-offs (blue/gold two-tone, "Batman" GMT)"

The Aquaracer is so unique in its design and I really like that TAG is doing their own thing rather than copying Rolex (like many others do with indices, Mercedes hands and other typical submariner elements). But just because TAG does two tone diver with blue dial or gmt with red and blue bezel does it really make it a Rolex rip-off? I dont agree. So many elements of a watch is used by so many these days and I think the Aquaracer stands well on its own merits.

Remo and Albert-AMG like this.
  18. abrod520

abrod520 Dec 28, 2020

FIFY :D

You're right Jim, I was wrong about the two-tone Aquaracer aping the Submariner.

It was the Yachtmaster that I meant:

upload_2020-12-28_9-1-21.png

Look, I have no huge beef with the Aquaracer lineup, but the two-tone and the Batman are absolutely ripoffs of distinct Rolex colorways. I'm not sure that a blue/black GMT existed anywhere before Rolex came out with the new GMT a number of years ago, and within a year or two it was on Formula 1 models. I just wish they'd stick to doing something a bit more original color-wise, I mean look at what Yema did with their first Superman GMT, and came up with a blue/grey colorway that is now all the rage.

(And no, I am not criticizing them for the blue/red GMT, as that has more or less become standard coloration since the original's 1958 introduction)

dtf likes this.
  19. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Dec 28, 2020

But...... they made the crown gold! :whistling:

Yago, dtf, Remo and 2 others like this.
  20. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Dec 28, 2020

OK fiiiine I see your point :) still I like the look of the Aquaracer more and like I said, most other design elements of it are very different so in my book its OK.

But we can't agree on everything. Reading your comments in the COCO watch of the year post Im guessing that TAG Heuer would only be producing smaller vintage looking no date models if you were appointed captain of the ship :rolleyes::D

I have not seen Yema superman GMT, will explore now!

Aquagraph likes this.