Baselworld Predictions 2020

Interesting
I mean is there more to this than they're letting on
It is easy to speculate, all I know is that I dont trust the clown who runs this country. Co-workers are starting to work from home now and prepping with food for a month or so, buying meds and stuff preparing for hell to break loose within a couple of weeks. Who knows what to believe at this point but it sure makes me nervous. Last night I went shopping for groceries and some shelves looked empty, people buying a lot of canned food...

Just announced on the Baselworld website.... cancelled until Jan 2021.

I wonder if there will even be a Baselworld next year.

I really hope there will be some sort of annual thing at least. I dont like this new trend where Tag sneaks out new models with no fuss around it...

I really hope there will be some sort of annual thing at least. I dont like this new trend where Tag sneaks out new models with no fuss around it...

Indeed, it comes to something when you find out about new models from an independent jeweller in Northampton! I don't think any of those three watches that came out recently are on TAG Heuer . com yet...

Given this, I hope we get to the see part of the new collection soon.

Good question: would have to be 50:50 at best. The brands will now all be scrambling to launch and sell their 2020 collection. Once they work out what works, it’s hard to see them going back to the old way. The “habit” of Baselworld has been broken.

Whether this is a good or bad thing I don’t know

Seems like this has just given the brands the perfect 'excuse' to pull out, although surely there must be some kind of 'contracts' in place - I honestly can't believe that the brands aren't under any obligation to exhibit (prior to the Swiss govt banning events of 1000+)... unless they've only been willing to commit one year at a time in recent history?

I reckon the contracts will be why it’s “postponed” not “cancelled”

I reckon the contracts will be why it’s “postponed” not “cancelled”

Indeed, so if you want to leave we need to talk about the 'contract'...

If the next Baselworld is held in January 2021, then there will be a benefit from having the show earlier in the year to let companies launch their products. Which is exactly what JC Biver has been saying.

Firstly, the fair is late – April. If you celebrate novelties for 2020 and show them at the end of April, that’s quite late because after April, there are seven months left till Christmas. So, it means that brands have seven months to deliver the novelties of the year. I would have put it in January, or November the year before. November is perfect. You show the novelties that are out in January.

https://watchesbysjx.com/2019/02/interview-jean-claude-biver.html

Indeed, so if you want to leave we need to talk about the 'contract'...

Maybe that's why it's postponed to January as well? Perhaps by the time of the next normal Baselworld the contracts would have expired?

Given how many companies have pulled out of basel already, this seems like the end of the show.

Shame I never got around to going