Autavia Heuer 02 US boutique edition going at Bicester Village

As an owner of 4 Heritage Autavias, I felt I needed to give my thoughts on the watch and my experiences with them… I am not also sure how many owners of these watches are here but I’d like them to say their opinions, comments, feedback on the watch.
Thanks for your post “defending” the 2017 Autavia Heuer 02 after being so criticized in this thread 🤔 😉, and congrats for your Autavia Heuer 02 Heritage collection! I didn’t remeber that you own four of them! 👍

I just have the Rindt tribute, but at least I got the other two OEM leather straps made for these Autavias (Viceroy/Harrods, and C11 Siffert), and I love it on the three leather straps 🥰

It is a “modern intepretation” and while not as close and faithful to those inspirations, it still is a beautiful watch. It gathered the Watchstars’ “Best Watch in the World” in the Design Stars Category and a Red Dot Award together with the Monaco (also a modern interpretation)
Yes, this is explained several times (also by JC Biver and by the watch designer, Christoph Behling) in the Autavia book: they didn’t want to launch a mere reissue of a watch from the ‘60s but a modernised design adapted to today’s market, and also being the first watch ever with the Calibre Heuer 02 in-house movement. Behling says that if you like an exact reproduction of the old model (size, indices, technology…), then it would make more sense to collect the original Heuer model.

All in All, I love my Heritage Autavias and I’d like to take this opportunity to thank TAG Heuer for giving something to die-hard fans / enthusiasts like me to treasure.
Me too! 😀 👍

after being so criticized in this thread
I feel I may have been doing some of the criticizing, but I want to clarify that I was just giving the reasons I was slightly disappointed with the execution. However, I actually liked the watch enough to put a deposit down for the C11 Siffert (the bezel had the impression of looking slimmer) and only cancelled after trying on the Rhindt and finding it just a bit too big and chunky for me. I was very disappointed as I loved the look of the Siffert.

Also, regarding the outlets, in recent times it seems that they are not so much a dumping ground for unsold stock as they used to be. The stock is fairly stable, and the strategy there (I've been told) is to have a kind of 'outlet range' which makes it easier for them I guess, but not the fun hunting ground it used to be for people like me... they have a WhatsApp list now which you can get by asking for it, but every time I look it seems to be the same, and I ask if it's working and they say yeah. The only reason I knew about the Autavia was cos they messaged me to tell me they had it. Also they messaged me the other day to tell me they'd just got the Batman and Pepsi Aquaracers in, then two minutes later they messaged me again to say they'd sold them both.

I cannot really remember anymore, but with respect to the statement by @kappa_md that

Wasn’t the poll held based on photos of the different vintage models, or at least renders thereof? If so, I think that would explain some of the “confusion“ between what was announced during the “Cup” and what was ultimately delivered…
Correct. They used renders of 12 vintage references and 4 fantasy pieces (with mixed elements from various vintage pieces).

Hence the modern re-issue wasn't quite what I was expecting. The 42mm size doesn't bother me. It was probably the right thing to do at the time, as there had been a trend towards bigger sizes. It's just in comparison to the vintage 60's models, the new one's proportions were bloated in various ways. Nevertheless, I still feel they're handsome watches and could've easily owned one. If I hadn't missed DC's message to me about one of his Siffert tributes being available, as I was on vacation, I would've bought his C11 version for sure.

The feeling that I got at the time was these were very popular. The ADs and Boutiques that I frequented gave me the impression that it was doing quite well back then. They even seem popular today, if social media is any kind of barometer. I still see lots of people posting about them, more than I do the modern 3 handers.

With hindsight, my feeling is that TAG Heuer launched the heritage model first to bring the Autavia's name back into the limelight. But meant only as the first stepping stone, which would then pave the way for the rebirth of the modernized Autavias to be launched in the following years.

While Kappa is right that seeing an odd example in the outlets isn't a true measure of success or failure, it's a little odd that of the 8 models produced at least three have made it to the Bicester village. Especially odd was the Harrods 150pce limited edition of which they had several pieces. But again, this doesn't mean much other than they over estimated how many they could sell. The Harrods was quite a nice looking watch, and the nearest available to the Calibre 11 (clearly the best of the lot).
Was the Harrods piece available outside of the UK? I wasn't aware of it at the time of its release. If it was only UK, that might have something to do with it.

It seems that certain LEs may linger around longer than expected, especially if they don't get a lot of mainstream marketing hype behind their launches. Take the CronotempVs Carrera for example. Everyone here seems to love that one and its only 74 pieces. Yet the CC was still available as of a few weeks ago.

The only reason I knew about the Autavia was cos they messaged me to tell me they had it. Also they messaged me the other day to tell me they'd just got the Batman and Pepsi Aquaracers in, then two minutes later they messaged me again to say they'd sold them both.
This doesn't surprise me. I'd expect an Outlet's buyers to be more skewed towards Aquaracers & F1s. But I believe this isn't what the current leadership at TAG Heuer wants their brand to be, given their desire to take on the likes of Rolex & Omega etc.

I revisited this old thread to reacquaint myself with the Harrods version. https://tagheuerforums.com/threads/2018-heuer-autavia-harrods-edition-cbe2116.80167/

The consensus in 2018 was it suffered from LE fatigue, being one of the last of many variations of this Autavia. It wasn't moving back then, it's not surprising it's not moving now.

In my case, I probably just ignored it because it was a UK release. Moreover, if I wanted the Siffert tribute, this non-Siffert wannabe just wouldn't have cut it. Beyond the Rindt, JH85, Siffert and Viceroy, none of the other variations piqued my interest at all. Except perhaps the Orange Boy, but that was a distant 5th place.

I would have only bought one. I think this applies to most, so once one chose whichever version they liked best, the rest became leftovers.

This doesn't surprise me. I'd expect an Outlet's buyers to be more skewed towards Aquaracers & F1s. But I believe this isn't what the current leadership at TAG Heuer wants their brand to be, given their desire to take on the likes of Rolex & Omega etc.

I don't think they're going to want to lose the sales of the lower end pieces no matter what they might say to the watch media (which is totally focussed on automatics). It's two markets, the majority of people who buy the F1s and quartz Aquaracers aren't 'watch enthusiasts'. They might like watches, but they're not the sort of people who listen to podcasts, read blogs and contribute to watch forums. TAG really are in a tricky position. If they give up their entry level status then they better be sure they can mix it with the bigger brands. Honestly I'm not sure they can.

I would have only bought one. I think this applies to most, so once one chose whichever version they liked best, the rest became leftovers.

This is why I didn’t buy the Siffert, I only planned to buy one Autavia and I expected it to be around for a while and TH to fix the issues I saw in it. With hindsight, I wish I’d bought a Siffert when I had the opportunity.

Don't we all. If we'd all known they were gonna triple in value. 😁

Don't we all. If we'd all known they were gonna triple in value. 😁

Hah! Value is less of a thing as I haven’t yet sold a watch (as far as I can remember…open to it…make me an offer 😁), more I think the Siffert is the best of the bunch and the only C11 collab. Bring back DC!

I don't think they're going to want to lose the sales of the lower end pieces no matter what they might say to the watch media (which is totally focussed on automatics).
What you're really saying is you lack faith in TH's ability to be successful without their low-end volume. Because surely TAG would be willing to let it go if it meant an eventual return to Top 5 prominence.

They need to do something fairly radical. They've basically been the same old same old for the last 10 years or so, standing still while others have passed them.

That's exactly what I'm saying. And I can't help but think it's not that easy to just decide you want to be 'high-end' and all you have to do is put your prices up to achieve it. I think it would take an awful long time for TAG to change public perception of them as entry to medium tier and I don't think they have the stamina to make it happen. It's only ten years since JCB came in and repositioned the brand as entry level again after the lofty ambitions of the early 00s. Plus if you don't want to be seen as a mall-watch company why keep opening boutiques in malls?

But, maybe we are seeing the slow death of the Formula 1. There's only been two new models this year (Gulf and Indy 500) - both over £2000 mind you. Surely the first step to going upmarket is to kill the F1.

That's exactly what I'm saying. And I can't help but think it's not that easy to just decide you want to be 'high-end' and all you have to do is put your prices up to achieve it. I think it would take an awful long time for TAG to change public perception of them as entry to medium tier and I don't think they have the stamina to make it happen. It's only ten years since JCB came in and repositioned the brand as entry level again after the lofty ambitions of the early 00s. Plus if you don't want to be seen as a mall-watch company why keep opening boutiques in malls?
You have to start somewhere. Not saying now is the time to drop their low end. But at some point, if you want to be perceived as high-end, you can't keep the low end quartz stuff. Perception won't change, unless TAG Heuer makes real change. Omega dropped their quartz pieces decades ago. Breitling still has quartz, but that's not what most people think of when it comes to Breitling.

I agree that just raising prices to their current line isn't the answer. They need to up their quality, design, and movements to compete at the next level. But as long as they have quartz pieces, the stigma of their past will haunt their image. At least make 'em all Solar.

BTW, mall watches to me are the stuff you can buy at department stores, like Macy's. Boutiques are different. Rolex, Tudor, Omega etc. all have their mono-brand Boutiques at malls.

But, maybe we are seeing the slow death of the Formula 1. There's only been two new models this year (Gulf and Indy 500) - both over £2000 mind you. Surely the first step to going upmarket is to kill the F1.
Not sure that they need to kill the F1, just evolve it to be more upmarket, like the Fragment model.

I agree, they either need to dump the quartz or upgrade it to super quartz if they want to be considered in those terms. But of course that depends on how much income they get from it. On the one hand TAG want to tell us their customer base is 25-40 but on the other they want to be Rolex and Omega (who I'd wager have a rather older customer base).

Not sure that they need to kill the F1, just evolve it to be more upmarket, like the Fragment model.

Oh yes the £6000 Formula 1.... I guess the way the prices are going up that would constitute entry level.

Well they could I suppose... but again is that really going to work? It doesn't seem to me like automatic Formula1 models have been that successful in the past. I think JCB had it right, F1 is quartz, then Aquaracer, then Carrera. Keep your customers and let them grow with the brand. Then pass them off to Hublot.

Dropping Quartz should definitely sit behind making their mechanical offerings more reliable in my opinion.