Forums Latest Members

2024 KITH Heuer Formula 1 re-issue quartz watches

1. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member May 1, 2024

I would have liked a slightly larger size than the original model, and of course the TAG Heuer logo (I would see the current TH logo as logical choice instead of the first version of the TH logo, and even in colour)... but keeping the same size and with that fake logo I don't see any sense in buying one of these F1 by Kith instead of an original one, and at a fraction of the price. Maybe this will make the original F1s go up in price?

A Hodinkee Dato or Skipper don’t have the Hodinkee logo attached to the Heuer logo, and not even on the dial. Kith and TAG Heuer should have been more respectful of the history of this model -and logo-, especially when it was the first watch ever to incorporate the TAG Heuer logo! Unless Kith has bought TAG Heuer from LVMH of course, then we would have to accept it! ;)

Remo, Anthony.R, paysdoufs and 2 others like this.
  2. Aquagraph

Aquagraph May 1, 2024

But 35mm is ladies size now

3. Aquagraph

Aquagraph May 1, 2024

Copy/paste to Coco?

4. Albert-AMG

:D Yes! With an average score of 3/10 ;)

mattp likes this.
  5. flawless

flawless May 1, 2024

I've never hidden my dislike of the F1 design - the modern ones are okay, but I'm not a huge fan of the originals (and the metal + rubber designs are just horrific) - but I would likely have bought a couple of F1 remakes for my nephews.

But with that logo and at that price? I'd rather get them three MoonSwatches each.

Edited May 1, 2024
    RockBurner and Aquagraph like this.
  6. BillC3

BillC3 May 1, 2024

7. Aquagraph

Aquagraph May 1, 2024

8. Ara

Ara May 1, 2024

My thoughts on the Fieg1:

1) So it's a full suite of releases, from retro watches to hats to 80s advert t-shirts to zip ups.

2) Basically, KITH brought the "drip" to TH.

3) Well........they finally made the closest thing to a 1:1 version of something from the archives.

4) Hodinkee's post comments are mostly negative as of now, specifically towards Hodinkee as a hype builder: https://www.instagram.com/p/C6bNG2kL_fT/?img_index=1

5) Bamford's post comments are mostly positive: https://www.instagram.com/p/C6bPCd1owXv/

I think the release will be popular given the context for its creation (the target audience is clearly for those within KITH's hype sphere or close enough to it).

The irony is that it was the TAGHeuer passionate fan base itself that had likely initiated the demand of a watch people were "asking for."

In short, Ronnie Fieg is a fan like us and TAGHeuer gave him the keys to do something cool in his vision. Fieg goes full retro and TH gets the cool factor "halo."

Edited May 1, 2024
  9. RushDom

RushDom May 1, 2024

Too much work has gone into these for them to simply be a one-off. This whole Kith collab feels like the product of a leadership team that wasn’t fully committed to the idea and simply wanted to test the waters before going further. It’s a bit sad to me that the Formula One - the most TAG of all TH watches - has been relaunched without…erm…TAG on the dial. Weird.

If this is successful, I predict we will see the metal case/bracelet version upsized, fashioned in a variety of colour schemes and brought into the permanent collection to ‘relaunch’ TH’s entry level offering. There’s nothing materially impressive about a quartz watch with a plastic bezel, but the nostalgia and heritage will certainly help justify the price more.

Everything old is new again, eh…

C-Balls likes this.
  10. BillC3

BillC3 May 1, 2024

I'm hoping that once the hype settles down and these limited editions are sold off, TH will release "normal" F1 models as regular catalog items. With the proper logo, and reasonable prices.

paysdoufs and Shane paradis like this.
  11. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member May 1, 2024

While the KITH branding is a turnoff for most people here, including me, I do like the fact that these exist.

I joined the brand with my own F1 chrono many, many years ago, so these are pure nostalgia. Since, I always wanted to have the McLaren red and the OG F1, I signed-up for the drawing for the "Tokyo Red", the "NY Black", and the OG colorway. We'll see what happens.

As others have said, maybe this will drive interest to launch a new modern collection of F1s. I would love to see them in wild colorways, honoring classic F1 liveries.

12. Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein May 1, 2024

Indeed, the key word is "halo".

Over the past three weeks, we have seen a $139,000 halo watch and a 1,500 CHF halo watch. Viewed from this perspective, both are excellent initiatives by TAG Heuer!!

Jeff

Remo, C-Balls and Ara like this.
  13. Ara

Ara May 1, 2024

This is true. That’s a lot of high level attention for the brand.

14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph May 1, 2024

Clearly these are not aimed at us, they are aimed at Kith customers. It's just sad to see something so beloved of the watch community pimped in this manner.

15. Albert-AMG

BTW, in addition from the fake logo, I also don't like the 'Just Us' text in old calligraphy at the bottom of the dial... :cautious:

mattp, Aquagraph and bpsmith like this.
  16. imagwai

imagwai May 1, 2024

Agree. Or the Kith & Kin etching on the case

bpsmith, Aquagraph and Albert-AMG like this.
  17. Mspeedster

Mspeedster May 1, 2024

There's more information becoming available, e.g. TAG Heuer Kith Formula 1 Watch 2024: Prices, Specs, Availability | WIRED

- The metal ones sold exclusively by KITH are limited to 350 pieces
    - The KITH plastic looking ones are plastic, not metal. Made of Arnite, the original material used by TAG Heuer in the '80s-'90s OG. Those are the ones selling for $1,350 and limited to 250 pieces
    - The TAG Heuer plastic looking ones (green & blue) are sandblasted steel and PVD coated black
    - The metal one with the cream dial is jointly sold by KITH and TAG Heuer, it looks like the one KITH founder Ronnie Fieg got as a 12 year old

18. Albert-AMG

Exactly. I have seen it now :cautious:
    IMG_9974.jpeg
    It seems that this one is only on the steel cases

19. Ara

Ara May 1, 2024

Man, never thought I'd read the word "pimped" twice in one day!

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 8.39.01 AM.png
    Aquagraph likes this.
  20. Aquagraph

Aquagraph May 1, 2024

That explains why the KITH ones are more expensive than the TAG ones. Because plastic is clearly more luxurious...

bpsmith and Jim Dollares like this.