2024 TAG Heuer Carrera Porsche 963 (CBU2010.FT6267)

No wait... inspired by. So whatever they wanna make up really. Like inspired by a true story. Means not true. Ask Baby Reindeer. Costly mistake that.

As for you not liking the design it was your words that said, I quote, “…the watch has failed to meet my expectations.” How can that possibly mean that you don’t dislike the design?
Please do not quote me out of context.

As I said before, this is how I feel about the watch:
As a standalone skeleton Carrera, I'd give it a thumbs up.:thumbsup: But as a Porsche 963 watch, it gets a thumbs down. :thumbsdown:
Meaning I like the design of the watch itself. But for me, it does nothing to evoke the Porsche 963 specifically. This is where it fails to meet my expectations.

For example, whether one loves or hates the design of the very first Monaco Gulf, which doesn't even say "Gulf" on it, it's clear where the inspiration comes from.

Take the Porsche and 963 off of this watch, it could be a watch inspired by anything any writer felt like making up to tell a story.

If you take the stripes off a Gulf Monaco its just a Monaco.... though. Isn't it?

And I'm not sure the first Gulf Monaco is all that obvious. Hard to say when we all already know what its supposed to be.

What could they have done to specifically evoke the 963?

Not trying to pick a fight, just interested to know...

What could they have done to specifically evoke the 963?

Not trying to pick a fight, just interested to know...
Incorporating more of the car's livery would give me more 963 "feels".

The car is predominantly white & red, with some black. The watch is basically grey & black, with a touch of red, it needs more white for starters. Also, for me, the large red center stripe with contrasting pin stripes (kind of like the KITH F1 dials) is what stands out when I look at the race livery.

They could've made the 9 & 3 sub-dials white and the lower 6 sub-dial red with pin stripes. Also, they could've worked the red with pin stripes motif into the strap. Or offered an additional fabric strap with this design, in addition to the black rubber strap.

Porsche 963 LM24.jpg

Yeah that's fair. It is after all a watch for a specific car so that makes sense.

Please do not quote me out of context.

As I said before, this is how I feel about the watch:

Meaning I like the design of the watch itself. But for me, it does nothing to evoke the Porsche 963 specifically. This is where it fails to meet my expectations.

For example, whether one loves or hates the design of the very first Monaco Gulf, which doesn't even say "Gulf" on it, it's clear where the inspiration comes from.

Take the Porsche and 963 off of this watch, it could be a watch inspired by anything any writer felt like making up to tell a story.
There’s absolutely nothing in the response I originally quoted, in full, that suggests you like the watch. I didn’t quote in full a second time as it was already there to read, twice. You basically slated it.

As already suggested no stripes equals just a Monaco. Nothing more to say on that.

Let’s not get into writers making up stuff to tell a story. This is TAG Heuer’s raison d’etre. They are the masters of it in the watch world. Steve McQueen…

Incorporating more of the car's livery would give me more 963 "feels".

The car is predominantly white & red, with some black. The watch is basically grey & black, with a touch of red, it needs more white for starters. Also, for me, the large red center stripe with contrasting pin stripes (kind of like the KITH F1 dials) is what stands out when I look at the race livery.

They could've made the 9 & 3 sub-dials white and the lower 6 sub-dial red with pin stripes. Also, they could've worked the red with pin stripes motif into the strap. Or offered an additional fabric strap with this design, in addition to the black rubber strap.

Porsche 963 LM24.jpg
Are these the cars this watch was inspired by?

LOL

Yeah they look nothing alike what so ever. Your Japanese racing Elegant Carrera on that white strap looks more like these cars than this new 963 Porsche Carrera from TAG Heuer.

Sparks Monaco.... hahaha
So how do these things go about you think? A third party designer (or does TAG Heuer have in-house designers?) designs a watch. The design sits in a folder until there is a reason to release it. Money hungry executive says, hey lets sell a Porsche 963 watch, what designs do we have to choose from.

Or is it that the money hungry corporate executive says, hey draw me a brand new design and it should be made with this car in mind.

The second scenario feels very unlikely considering that the watch ended up looking nothing like a Porsche 963?

According to the TAG marketing the dial is inspired by the tube chassis of the car. So I guess this won't exactly be the normal skeleton going forward?
Which would be a missed chance to have a very well done skeleton line.

Probably the only link with a Porsche 963 is the '963' engraving on the strap, but I like this watch anyway ::love::

IMG_1679.jpeg

In any case it has a touch of motorsport in its design :thumbsup:. As for the inspiration of the dial in a tubular chassis... it would be more similar to that of a 917
IMG_1681.jpeg
perhaps 917 would have been a better name for this watch, since the subdials are also more reminiscent of the instrumentation of a 917
IMG_1685.jpeg IMG_1684.jpeg
than the digital screens of a 963, more similar to a Connected than to a Carrera skeleton ;)
IMG_1683.jpeg

Nothing not to like for me, then you see that side view, which is lovely and seals the deal.

If you take the stripes off a Gulf Monaco its just a Monaco.... though. Isn't it?
That maybe true, but you totally missed my point.

Back in the early-mid 2000s, when the first Monaco Gulf was created, there was nothing like it. Nevertheless, the look was instantly recognizable by anyone familiar with the movie Le Mans and the Monaco watch. That first one didn't have "Gulf", or "Porsche" or "McQueen", written on it, yet the presence of all 3 could be felt when looking at the watch. I remember when the watch was released, that's how I felt. And it wasn't just me, since the design is still here almost 20 years later.

That was my point, it didn't need words on the watch telling me what it was. This skeleton does, otherwise nobody would know it's a Porsche 963 collab watch. Even with the words, I'm not convinced.
Edited:

Nothing not to like for me, then you see that side view, which is lovely and seals the deal.
Great! I look forward to seeing your purchase.

Great! I look forward to seeing your purchase.
If only I had a Porsche to go with it, I might well have done that. I admire the more industrial design with pieces like this, over those which just follow the usual blueprint.

it didn't need words on the watch telling me what it was. This skeleton does, otherwise nobody would know it's a Porsche 963 collab watch. Even with the words, I'm not convinced
This is a very good point

If only I had a Porsche to go with it
But, is it really enough to own any Porsche or would you need to have a 963 in the garage for this watch to make sense?