2024 KITH Heuer Formula 1 re-issue quartz watches

LOL. Could be. Or maybe she was just unhappy she's no longer at the beach. She posted this one of herself earlier that same day, already wearing her "New York" KITH-Heuer.
20240504_055219.jpg

I don't know what Kith is?
Or who this woman is?
Or why anyone is meant to care about either?

My boutique emailed me about these watches. But how dare anyone take the 'TAG' out of my TAG Heuer! Not impressed.

Hello everyone BTW, I hope you are all well?!

I wonder which 'mold' will emerge soon. Perhaps the S/el? 😕

In Esquire UK today, an oral history of the first generation Formula 1 and the new Kith / Heuer Formula 1 . . . hoping that readers will enjoy this article.

https://link.esquire.co.uk/view/659fe23cb6b81f33e7051716kzxe6.ol/20e6d32c

Jeff
Thanks for sharing, Jeff. The article gives a lot more insight into how this collab came together and addresses many of the controversial and polarizing aspects of the watch series.

For those that doubt the "dinner story", Ronnie Fieg mentioned that this has been over 2 years in the making. So when @mattp visited the factory in Aug 2022, the Ronnie/Frederic dinner had already occurred previously.

Besides the hint about the F1s two years ago, it was said that the museum was going to expand and open it to the public. Is anything already known about this?

Or who this woman is?

My boutique emailed me about these watches. But how dare anyone take the 'TAG' out of my TAG Heuer! Not impressed.

Alexandra Daddario, a Hollywood actress and also a TAG Heuer Ambassador.
(Maybe only I care, my dream wife in another life. LOL)

From the Esquire article that @Jeff Stein referenced:
--
The 2024 Formula 1 watches feature a customised Tag Heuer logo that now reads ‘Kith Heuer’. It’s a decision that has divided opinion

George Ciz: We modified our logo. That’s the fun part. Many people say ‘But you are crazy! This was the first ‘Tag Heuer’ watch. And now you’re bringing it out as ‘Kith Heuer’. Why are you doing it?' You know, when people ask me ‘Why do you do that?’, I respond ‘It’s because we can’. Because we have the brand equity and the strength of the brand. And you’re talking about luxury – collectability is an important part in luxury. I think this makes it even more collectible.

Nicholas Biebuyck: There were a couple of senior team meetings with the marketing directors where people were like, you know, ‘Is it appropriate for us to be messing around with our logo? We’re a heritage brand!' And I was, like, ‘Guys, our brand is so strong – we’re doing it for one product and one project and one launch’. I think it’s a great opportunity for us to show how confident we are regarding our IP and who the brand is today. And for me, it was really a no-brainer, and I think quite quickly everyone else aligned. It’s the first time we’ve ever done it. It’s cool.
--

The problem that I still have is that KITH is not known to the majority of the fans of the original F1, nor does it have any association with Formula 1. To add KITH to the watch in other spots would've been ok, but to make it part of the logo shield is a step too far.

Sure the OG F1 is a special watch to Ronnie Fieg, it is to many of us as well. But it's like when Jean-Claude Biver said who am I to put my name and call it "Biver Heuer" or "Biver Ferrari"?

Yes TAG Heuer can do it, yes we know it's still a TAG Heuer, but it's not the fitting tribute to the original F1 many of us hoped it would be because of this KITH-Heuer branding.

--
The 2024 Formula 1 watches feature a customised Tag Heuer logo that now reads ‘Kith Heuer’. It’s a decision that has divided opinion

George Ciz: We modified our logo. That’s the fun part. Many people say ‘But you are crazy! This was the first ‘Tag Heuer’ watch. And now you’re bringing it out as ‘Kith Heuer’. Why are you doing it?' You know, when people ask me ‘Why do you do that?’, I respond ‘It’s because we can’. Because we have the brand equity and the strength of the brand. And you’re talking about luxury – collectability is an important part in luxury. I think this makes it even more collectible.

Nicholas Biebuyck: There were a couple of senior team meetings with the marketing directors where people were like, you know, ‘Is it appropriate for us to be messing around with our logo? We’re a heritage brand!' And I was, like, ‘Guys, our brand is so strong – we’re doing it for one product and one project and one launch’. I think it’s a great opportunity for us to show how confident we are regarding our IP and who the brand is today. And for me, it was really a no-brainer, and I think quite quickly everyone else aligned. It’s the first time we’ve ever done it. It’s cool.
--

The problem that I still have is that KITH is not known to the majority of the fans of the original F1, nor does it have any association with Formula 1. To add KITH to the watch in other spots would've been ok, but to make it part of the logo shield is a step too far.

Sure the OG F1 is a special watch to Ronnie Fieg, it is to many of us as well. But it's like when Jean-Claude Biver said who am I to put my name and call it "Biver Heuer" or "Biver Ferrari"?

Yes TAG Heuer can do it, yes we know it's still a TAG Heuer, but it's not the fitting tribute to the original F1 many of us hoped it would be because of this KITH-Heuer branding.
This.

100% agree.

--

So in summary, changing the logo is fun, we can do it, and it is cool.

Got it. Still disagree. 😁

So in summary, changing the logo is fun, we can do it, and it is cool.

Got it. Still disagree. 😁
I have to be honest, I've flipped flopped back and forth on this watch many times. Only because of the branding.

At first I felt the logo change was an absolute insult to the original fans of this watch. Such a lack of respect for the very first TAG Heuer and the customers who bought one, many of us still cherishing those memories (just like Ronnie Fieg).

Then I thought ok, I see what TAG is trying to do here. This watch isn't really meant for me, it's for the next generation. So the logo might be cool and will make it more collectable for them. Doesn't make me feel better, but I understand the rationale, so maybe I'll get one after all. After visiting a KITH store yesterday, I actually changed my mind about not getting one and entered the drawing for a Tokyo to see what happens.

Now after reading that article, I feel very upset again. The decision just seems to have been made with such arrogance and without any empathy to how original F1 fans might react. 😡
Edited:

I'm fine with a co-branding on a dial when it is a collaboration. I think the TAG Heuer x Bamford C11 Monacos are quite cool, but do I want them to say "BAMFORD Heuer" on the dial? Absolutely not, but Heuer (because it was a heritage C11) and Bamford separately on the dial are perfectly fine.

‘Guys, our brand is so strong – we’re doing it for one product and one project and one launch’.

I have officially etched this part into my brain forever. I think it's cool that anything can be done in regard to TH, if that indeed is the mindset at the company. Would love to see a broader "one and done" strategy applied to more watches from the past.

^Fixed it for you @Ara , that quote should read like this:
Nicholas Biebuyck said:
‘Guys, our brand is so strong – we’re doing it for one product and one project and one launch’.
I would never be so cavalier with regards to a company's branding and what it might mean to the many who adore the brand.

Besides the hint about the F1s two years ago, it was said that the museum was going to expand and open it to the public. Is anything already known about this?

When I visited in 2018, they told me they might do something with the Kirium. Hahahahahahaha. Guess they were just messing with me huh.

^Fixed it for you @Ara , that quote should read like this:

I would never be so cavalier with regards to a company's branding and what it might mean to the many who adore the brand.
EDIT:
Oh oops, sorry! I didn't meant to attribute the quote to you. Mea culpa.

Re: the cavalier part --> I totally get it.

My re-quote was to emphasize that I'm most intrigued by the fact they produced an almost 1:1 retro after years of saying that's not their thing.

.....No laser scanning, no CNC, we'd rather merge the past and the present, tres-avant-garde, etc..... All that went out the window for me when I saw this new F1 -- aside from the KITH part of course.

Just shows TH can do a one-off that's faithful to the past if they want to. To be honest, aside from the KITH part, I'm pretty shocked they went full retro with this case/strap. Even my heritage heart doesn’t want a full 1:1, just want something close to a modern 40mm Autavia GMT rerun before I die (around the year 2067 AD). The rest of you can have your Kiriums and AquaLinks!
Edited:

The man himself during the national anthem
upload_2024-5-5_14-10-15.png
Yikes..........DeSantis alert.

Yikes..........DeSantis alert.
Yeah, goes to show you this was the VIP row at the grid.

The man himself during the national anthem
upload_2024-5-5_14-10-15.png
For those of us who don't read the tabloids, can we get a run down of who is in this random group of people? 😜

Or who this woman is?

It's for the youngsters 😉.

WB!