2024 KITH Heuer Formula 1 re-issue quartz watches

I've seen the ones that TAG sells in person now. Definitely a nice upgrade in quality and materials compared to the originals. I have no doubt these will sell out quickly. I expect the KITH city models to go even quicker.
20240501_193258.jpg
20240501_193447.jpg
20240501_213546.jpg

I gotta be honest. I think these actually look worse than I expected, especially the 'not lume dial' dial one.

Currently these
Interesting to see the early eBay listings on the Kith / Heuer Formula 1 watches -- most of the watches are listed with the BuyItNow in the $2500 to $3500 range, with the boxed sets priced at around $30,000. Of course, we have no idea at what prices the watches will actually change hands, but these are some strong numbers.

A dumbass and his money are easily parted.

This is why I think this is a massive mistake. All that positive noise about the glassbox is gonna get crushed by a new wave of TAG bashing...

Boom. That's everything right there.

- How it came about originally.
- It's viewed as THE starter watch of all starter watches.
- Timeline coincides with Formula 1 renewed interest.
- Colors in general are hot right now (my add).
- Relaunch the Formula1 in its original form now but with a twist and set the tone for future revamp.
- Brand the limited edition KITH and it then becomes a distinct design bridge from what came before in the 80-90s --> to the what is coming next in the mid to late 2020s.

The cynic in me feels that story has a lot of PR machine behind it.

I wonder how long it will take for the KITH Heuer shades to arrive?

Gotta be next, right?

So lets say TAG had priced it at £500. What would people say?

Those entry level F1s at £1200 look way over priced. There was no win here for TAG with the watch community. I wonder if that's why they did this Kith thing, because Kith fans wouldn't know what the price should be in the first place and they are happy to spend £100 on a T shirt.
500 really isn't a realistic expectation these days, IMHO.

Price the regular production ones just shy of 1k list and in 38-40mm, these should be winners.

upload_2024-5-3_12-21-24.png

So many comments like this on various platforms...
ABTW?

Again - these exact watches right now are not for the watch nerds, but for the KITH aficionados.

500 really isn't a realistic expectation these days, IMHO.

Price the regular production ones just shy of 1k list and in 38-40mm, these should be winners.

I agree. The ones TH are selling are all steel not plastic. £500 is totally unrealistic.

This is why I think this is a massive mistake. All that positive noise about the glassbox is gonna get crushed by a new wave of TAG bashing...
It's inevitable, the originals were already hated by many in the watch community. No matter what TAG Heuer did with a re-release, there would be those who will bash it.

OTOH, for those who really internalize what TAG Heuer has done with KITH, it may actually be a brilliant move. This guy explains in-depth why he thinks TAG x KITH got it right.
I'll summarize for those without the patience to watch his long and often interrupted video, which was live streamed and unedited.
- Footwear & Streetwear is big business, much bigger than the watch industry, in terms of awareness or "eyes" as he calls it.
- Within that demo, Ronnie Fieg is an icon and KITH is super popular. All of his collabs go for way over retail on the secondhand market.
- TAG wins by getting their brand awareness into that demographic, by KITH opening the door for them. KITH wins because most of TAG Heuer's customer base has never heard of KITH and will bring them new clientele. (True for me, I plan to visit a KITH store this weekend.)
- They both win because F1 is very popular and retro '80s & '90s culture is cool again.
- The price is right. This is not a Swatch, it's a true TAG Heuer. If TAG can sellout a plastic watch for $1500, which they will surely do, more power to TAG.

So for TAG x KITH, I personally believe it's a very smart partnership. The watch itself is as true to the original F1 as can be (except for the logo). The modern updates make it even nicer.

Having said that, the KITH-Heuer branding and KITH culture feels so out of place to traditional fans of the OG. Which is why it also feels like a slap in the face. A great partnership (and likely big success) for TAG x KITH, but not so much for many of us.

But at the end of the day, if all the hype - good & bad, drives more sales for TAG Heuer, it's a win.
Edited:

So I just bought the blue one at the Atlanta Boutique!! Really nice, in the metal.

I’ll be writing more about these!!

Jeff

IMG_1507.jpeg

Congrats @Jeff Stein!

I'm still on the fence. If I do go for it, I'm more interested in getting one of the KITH exclusives to pair with one of my original's colorways (i.e. Tokyo or Hawaii).

But I think the KITH city models will be superhard to get, especially as KITH top tier loyalty customers get early access first dibs. I plan to visit a KITH store tomorrow to see what the situation is like. Not sure if my chances are better in store or via the KITH lottery drawing on-line. I would think in-store but I'm not waiting in no crazy long line for one.

Congrats, @Jeff Stein. If I recall correctly, you may be the first on the forum?
Technically, I have only put down a deposit . . . but it's 100% of the purchase price. I can pick up the watch starting on Monday.