2023 TAG Heuer Carrera ChronoSprint x Porsche (CBS2011 & CBS2040)

Impressions
- The "patchy" overlapped bezel is still present, but it is less noticeable than in the smaller models. As always, any printed markers- on the edge help.
- The color of the dial is interesting; its not white, and its nor silver. It has a warmer tone. I want to say its a very pale champagne dial?
- It's a shame the black faded bezel seen in the early renders, didn't make it to production. That was my favorite part of the render's design.
- Agree, it seems less patchy compared to the 39mm bezel. Not sure if it's the color or if the bezel fitment has been improved on the 42mm size.
- Seems more silver-ish to me, compared to the white of the blue RS. The gold 911's dial is even warmer, much more of what I'd call champagne.
- Not sure about how the draft render's black accent stripe on the bezel would look IRL. A part of me thought it might be cool and another part of me thought it might look weird. So perhaps it was polarizing, hence why TAG decided to drop it? Biggest disappointment (aside from the price) was the last minute change of the Carrera font. I really prefer the Porsche script font, would've made the watch feel more "Porsche" to me. As it is, it's a nice glassbox, but I don't really get the same Porsche vibes that I did with the blue RS.

- Agree, it seems less patchy compared to the 39mm bezel. Not sure if it's the color or if the bezel fitment has been improved on the 42mm size.
The larger dial dimensions help, as it feels less cramped.

- Seems more silver-ish to me, compared to the white of the blue RS. The gold 911's dial is even warmer, much more of what I'd call champagne.
Last year's is very bright and with lots of sparkles. This one is much more subdued. And I suppose much more elegant. I haven't seen the gold one in the metal, so I can't compare them.

- Not sure about how the draft render's black accent stripe on the bezel would look IRL. A part of me thought it might be cool and another part of me thought it might look weird. So perhaps it was polarizing, hence why TAG decided to drop it?
Perhaps. However, I suspect they could have hard a harder time "printing" that graded design on the curved bezel, so maybe that's what determined the final design. 😕

- Biggest disappointment (aside from the price) was the last minute change of the Carrera font. I really prefer the Porsche script font, would've made the watch feel more "Porsche" to me. As it is, it's a nice glassbox, but I don't really get the same Porsche vibes that I did with the blue RS.
I actually tend to like more the regular Carrera font. It makes a definitive statement. in that this is a TAG Heuer Carrera, not Porsche's. That said, I would have been fine with that other font too, but I think they should have thrown-in a special NATO strap with this new edition too. Oh, well.

Congrats @Hubert ! That does look like the Goldilocks size for the modern glassbox.

(…) I wanted a Porsche watch so I bought a Porsche Design, grand deal for a Series 1 at £2700 a couple! of years back, there’s a monoblock chrono going at a local dealer for less than 50% retail, wife says no unfortunately.
What's a „monoblock“ chrono? Those in Orfina- / Sinn 144-style tonneau cases? 👎
Edited:

Perhaps. However, I suspect they could have hard a harder time "printing" that graded design on the curved bezel, so maybe that's what determined the final design. 😕
The other thing is, given how the chrono function works, the draft render's fade design (as you call it) is counter intuitive. It starts out non existent at 0 and gradually becomes a thicker black stripe as it runs around the bezel to 60. This swirl around the bezel would've given the impression that the chrono hand should be speeding up as it goes around the clock. But in fact it speeds up from 0 to the 4 o'clock marker, then slows down the rest of the way around until it syncs up with a normal chrono. Hence the stripe design wouldn't have matched the actual chrono function.
I actually tend to like more the regular Carrera font. It makes a definitive statement. in that this is a TAG Heuer Carrera, not Porsche's. That said, I would have been fine with that other font too, but I think they should have thrown-in a special NATO strap with this new edition too. Oh, well.
Different strokes for different folks. It's highly likely that the decision to change the font was done to prioritize TAG Heuer's identity over Porsche's. However, if I'm going to spend extra money for a TAG Heuer x Porsche collab, I want the watch to give me Porsche vibes. Especially for something marking the 60th anniversary of the 911.

It's just like when they chose to put Carrera on the dial of the Skipper, instead of it saying Skipper above the TH logo. These little details really bug me.

The other thing is, given how the chrono function works, the draft render's fade design (as you call it) is counter intuitive. It starts out non existent at 0 and gradually becomes a thicker black stripe as it runs around the bezel to 60. This swirl around the bezel would've given the impression that the chrono hand should be speeding up as it goes around the clock. But in fact it speeds up from 0 to the 4 o'clock marker, then slows down the rest of the way around until it syncs up with a normal chrono. Hence the stripe design wouldn't have matched the actual chrono function.
Gotcha. In that case the BLACK gradient would have = slowness. I agree with you, it would have been confusing.
Different strokes for different folks. It's highly likely that the decision to change the font was done to prioritize TAG Heuer's identity over Porsche's. However, if I'm going to spend extra money for a TAG Heuer x Porsche collab, I want the watch to give me Porsche vibes. Especially for something marking the 60th anniversary of the 911.

It's just like when they chose to put Carrera on the dial of the Skipper, instead of it saying Skipper above the TH logo. These little details really bug me.
I hear you. We'll see what happens with future editions. I suspect this change could have been linked to increased trademark royalties. But who knows. 😕

A short video showing the chronosprint timed against a digital clock.

From an engineering perspective I find this amazing, id love to know how they built this

From an engineering perspective I find this amazing, id love to know how they built this
Pretty simple actually, they used snail shaped gears.

For whatever reason I don’t seem to get previews of the Porsche models, but I finally got to try the Chronosprint and quite like it. As I expected the glassbox design is just excellent in the 42mm size.

For whatever reason I don’t seem to get previews of the Porsche models, but I finally got to try the Chronosprint and quite like it. As I expected the glassbox design is just excellent in the 42mm size.

But your picture isn't helping me warm up to the glassbox I'm afraid. Kind of looks like the dial is under a fishbowl.
Edited:

But your picture isn't helping me warm up to the glassbox I'm afraid. Kind of looks like the dial is under a fishbowl.
Yes, that looks weird as hell.

The lighting in the 'private' corner of the new Boutique is tough for photography, but I do recommend going in to take a look at this one. I like that fishbowl-ish effect on the Glassbox and while I think it makes the 39mm wear a bit small, it makes the 42mm wear really nicely.

I bought the watch but I did not get it with this box😕

I bought the watch but I did not get it with this box😕
What does your box look like?

If you bought it in a TAG Heuer Boutique, you should ask if they can give you the right box.

If you bought it in a TAG Heuer Boutique, you should ask if they can give you the right box.
Yeah, even if from an authorized dealer, you should ask for the right box.

I got this box.
I didn't buy it in a Tag Heuer boutique.