2023 Monaco releases

Why would somebody purchase something they don’t absolutely love, just because Steve McQueen wore one? Just makes no sense to me?

I don't know, but try asking Persol. It works

The Moonwatch is actually horological substance... because the watch actually did something - it went to the moon.

Maybe I need a midway section for watches that have been to the Moon or into Space, or those that have been to the Mariana Trench perhaps.

Not the same as a.n.other ambassador, admittedly, but still wouldn’t make me purchase a watch that didn’t look as nice as another watch that hadn’t been there.

I respect other people’s choices, I am just saying that I don’t get those same feelings. Especially when most celebs will endorse almost anything for the right price.

I don't know, but try asking Persol. It works
I hear you and agree that it must work because they wouldn’t pay out millions for celebrity endorsements if it didn’t.

I just don’t understand that decision making process as my brain isn’t wired that way.
Edited:

I hear you and agree that it must work because they wouldn’t pay out millions for celebration endorsements if it didn’t.

I just don’t understand that decision making process as my brain isn’t wired that way.
Your brain clearly has no horological substance ;)

Your brain clearly has no horological substance ;)
Indeed.

Perhaps I need that Pink Carrera so I can pretend to be Ken rather than Ben, just like Ryan Gosling.

Watches are like women to me, I only appreciate the looks :thumbsup: whats inside doesn't matter much, as long is its quiet and doesn't wobble madly

Great quote about women :)

Also released in 1969: Quartz watches, which quickly went from a premium technology to a commodity and basically upended the entire Swiss watch industry. The Monaco did enjoy a little popularity, but in a time when a watch's accuracy was as important as its design most people skipped mechanical watches entirely.

That sounds like a convenient excuse to me.
By 1978, quartz watches overtook mechanical watches in popularity, plunging the Swiss watch industry into crisis while at the same time strengthening both the Japanese and American watch industries.

I think there’s been a huge myth making around the prestige of Swiss watches, which simply didn’t resonate or make sense back in the mists of time. When you see the old quartz adverts, or even the tuning fork watches before them, the accuracy was the horological achievement - why have a less accurate watch? There wasn’t much about the “soul” of mechanical movements and in-house really didn’t matter. A lot of Swiss firms went bust, or very nearly did, not helped by them making some of the most insanely expensive quartz watches ever, including Rolex’s own. Everything since then has been marketing. So much so that someone like Rolex can basically release the same watch every year, for decades, with minuscule changes, and demand remains impossibly high, whilst Rolex creams immense profits. I’ve now decided that you should just buy what you like. And Tag make some pretty cool designs, comparatively, and I have a similar soft spot for similar reasons for Bell&Ross, who also have pretty poor movements in places.

That sounds like a convenient excuse to me.
By 1978, quartz watches overtook mechanical watches in popularity, plunging the Swiss watch industry into crisis while at the same time strengthening both the Japanese and American watch industries.

It was anything but convenient for the industry!
BTW it wasn't just the Monaco that they stopped making. No further development of the Autavia or Carrera really occurred beyond the occasional dial configuration. The issue more than anything were that the Chronomatic watches were among the more expensive offerings, and they really fell out of favor pretty hard.

There wasn’t much about the “soul” of mechanical movements and in-house really didn’t matter.

No, this came later on when the Swiss watch industry reinvented itself in the later '80s and '90s more as mechanical art, and a luxury, than simply a timekeeping item.

It was anything but convenient for the industry!
BTW it wasn't just the Monaco that they stopped making. No further development of the Autavia or Carrera really occurred beyond the occasional dial configuration. The issue more than anything were that the Chronomatic watches were among the more expensive offerings, and they really fell out of favor pretty hard.

:thumbsup:

Just gonna leave this here after finding it in the back of the 5th Ave Boutique last night :p

IMG_2101.jpeg

Got a mail yesterday from my AD about a new Caliber 11 releasing in a the next few days. Today I see something pop up on TAG Heuer's watch registration page :whistling:

@Aquagraph the full model number for you!!!
upload_2023-7-24_8-34-36.png

Did they actually send it to you like that or dd you blank out the face?

Did they actually send it to you like that or dd you blank out the face?
I blanked the face - i got the screenshot from TAG's website - when you go to register a watch. Even the night driver is there :D

P.S. I haven't bought the watch - I was putting in my 211A in the list

Got a mail yesterday from my AD about a new Caliber 11 releasing in a the next few days. Today I see something pop up on TAG Heuer's watch registration page :whistling:

@Aquagraph the full model number for you!!!
upload_2023-7-24_8-34-36.png
I blanked the face - i got the screenshot from TAG's website - when you go to register a watch. Even the night driver is there :D

P.S. I haven't bought the watch - I was putting in my 211A in the list
How did that pop up though? If you were registering your 211A, only that image should show. I don't get why the other 2 would be displayed.