2023 Monaco releases

That puts her article into context. Most people probably only buy watches based on visual appeal, so this article makes sense for that particular audience and not for those of us who prefer more horological substance.

I buy watches based primarily on visual appeal... I can't get excited about ETA 2824s frankly.

I buy watches based primarily on visual appeal... I can't get excited about ETA 2824s frankly.
Just to elaborate, I meant to say those that like watches based on visual appeal alone (e.g. Carrera Date vivid pink) vs those that like watches based on visual appeal with some historical signifance (e.g. Monaco Steve McQueen).

MontyPythonsLifeOfBrian-ZxrxMUOe-subtitled.jpg

At the end of the day, McQueen and Senna's estate sell the image rights to TAG for marketing purposes. Senna went off with Universal Geneve for a while (and Hublot) but at least he was actively involved with TAG (he designed a watch with them - the Senna 6000).

Either way, the fact that some actor guy wore a watch in the 1960s does not constitute horological substance.

Either way, the fact that some actor guy wore a watch in the 1960s does not constitute horological substance.
True, SMQ and Monaco are just a partnership which lasted a movie and milked an eternity. Its basically saying that 50 years later Ryan Gosling will get synonymous with Carrera.

Exactly, won't it be funny if in 30 years they are re-issuing the 'Grey Man' Carrera as if it was super-meaningful? And is it any less meaningful, actually? Or do old films automatically carry more weight simply because they are old? :cautious: Maybe Gosling will be a life long ambassador for TAG and in 30 years he'll still be pimping the latest in a long line of silver dial Carreras. Maybe by then they will even have a decent movement inside them.

Exactly, won't it be funny if in 30 years they are re-issuing the 'Grey Man' Carrera as if it was super-meaningful? And is it any less meaningful, actually? Or do old films automatically carry more weight simply because they are old? :cautious: Maybe Gosling will be a life long ambassador for TAG and in 30 years he'll still be pimping the latest in a long line of silver dial Carreras. Maybe by then they will even have a decent movement inside them.

As much as I do love my McQueen Monaco, it's purely visually for me (not keen on the RH crown variants or even the vintage ones) to be honest I do find it slightly 'cringe' the McQueen connotations especially pushed by TH. Let's be honest McQueen actually a Rolex Sub & Hanhaart in his own time.

I get the Monaco is iconic in it's own right, but would that be due to it being the 1st waterproof square automatic watch or McQueen?

I think McBeardy uses the right word - iconic. The question as to whether the Grey Man Carrera will be desired in the future by collectors could depend on whether the film or the actor achieve "iconic" status in the same way as McQueen or Moore/Connery as 007. I would argue it's harder these days since people have so much more choice about what they watch - we don't all have the same viewing experience any more - whereas when we were growing up, everyone had a shared experience with films and TV, such that they became era-defining.

As much as I do love my McQueen Monaco, it's purely visually for me (not keen on the RH crown variants or even the vintage ones) to be honest I do find it slightly 'cringe' the McQueen connotations especially pushed by TH. Let's be honest McQueen actually a Rolex Sub & Hanhaart in his own time.

I get the Monaco is iconic in it's own right, but would that be due to it being the 1st waterproof square automatic watch or McQueen?
I am leaning moreso to McQueen, first square watch, water resistant, housing first automatic chrono..didn't do much upon release but garnerd a following after he wore it in lemans movie, same as Daytona and Paul Newman...the thing that make a watch iconic is rarely horological

McQueen. That it was the first waterproof square watch is cool, but it was a sales failure upon its debut. It wasn't until McQueen wore it in the movie that it began to attract a following

I cited one of the original Monaco designs popularised by Steve McQueen as an example of how some people's perception of beauty can be influenced by other factors such as cultural, historical, personal meaning or horological. Whether it's Steve McQueen, Ryan Gosling, a watch worn on the moon, umpteen complications, a family heirloom, something to celebrate a momentous personal occasion, they can all affect how beauty can be perceived. And that's just as legitimate as judging beauty at a surface level (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way). I do wonder how many can truly claim to judge beauty without some pre-existing prejudice (e.g. liking/disliking a Monaco Steve McQueen). Have marketing exploited cultural/historical associations? Yes, it's their job to influence people. Has marketing turned off potential buyers, sure but clearly not enough. But just because Bella Hadid has supposedly the most symmetrical beautiful face in the world, that red is most popular colour for a Ferrari car and that the most visited painting is the Mona Lisa doesn't preclude the possibility that picking up Bella in red Ferrari to go see the Mona Lisa at the Louvre might be someone's idea of a beautiful day (not me of course, I'm happily married, don't find Bella personally attractive, I love driving my Lotus Elise, and think the Mona Lisa is overrated). But you get the point, hopefully, that beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.
Edited:

At the end of the day, McQueen and Senna's estate sell the image rights to TAG for marketing purposes. Senna went off with Universal Geneve for a while (and Hublot) but at least he was actively involved with TAG (he designed a watch with them - the Senna 6000).
Just for clarity, the name "Senna" was licensed to other watch brands such as Universal Geneve and Hublot after his passing. TAG Heuer was Senna's one and only watch partner while he was alive.

While it's true that the institutions responsible for McQueen and Senna continue to allow TAG Heuer to use their names, the origin of their connections to the brand is what makes things powerful. McQueen wore other watches in his other movies, but it's the Monaco that stands out. Same goes for his movie cars, everyone remembers the highland green Mustang from Bullit.

I can sort of understand umpteen complications, if that’s your thing. I can certainly understand a family heirloom. I can also understand something to celebrate a momentous personal occasion. All of those have meaning outside of solely looks.

I definitely do not understand it being just because Steve McQueen or Ryan Gosling wore one, or whether it was allegedly the same spec watch that was worn on the alleged trip to the moon.

Why would somebody purchase something they don’t absolutely love, just because Steve McQueen wore one? Just makes no sense to me?

If you really like the look of the McQueen Monaco then I do get that too btw, but then it’s got nothing to do with the fact he wore one once.

The Moonwatch is actually horological substance... because the watch actually did something - it went to the moon.

Genuine question - you guys know I don't know about the Heuer years. The Monaco was released in 1969, and discontinued in 1975, right? Le ,Mans was in 1971 I think... did the Monaco actually 'get a following' when the film came out or was the following really when TAG Heuer re-issued the Monaco and started marketing it as the watch Steve McQueen wore? Because, if it got discontinued in 75 then it obviously wasn't that much of a following....

Watches are like women to me, I only appreciate the looks :thumbsup: whats inside doesn't matter much, as long is its quiet and doesn't wobble madly like a H02 rotor.

The Moonwatch is actually horological substance... because the watch actually did something - it went to the moon.

Genuine question - you guys know I don't know about the Heuer years. The Monaco was released in 1969, and discontinued in 1975, right? Le ,Mans was in 1971 I think... did the Monaco actually 'get a following' when the film came out or was the following really when TAG Heuer re-issued the Monaco and started marketing it as the watch Steve McQueen wore? Because, if it got discontinued in 75 then it obviously wasn't that much of a following....

Also released in 1969: Quartz watches, which quickly went from a premium technology to a commodity and basically upended the entire Swiss watch industry. The Monaco did enjoy a little popularity, but in a time when a watch's accuracy was as important as its design most people skipped mechanical watches entirely.