2023 Monaco releases

Dark Lord was limited availability though, this one is core product.

Is it? I couldn't find anywhere that they listed it as a limited edition. I think they make just enough to get people to pay the asking price though.

Is it? I couldn't find anywhere that they listed it as a limited edition. I think they make just enough to get people to pay the asking price though.
The Dark Lord is a Special Edition not a Limited Edition. Some Boutiques will say they are limited in the sense that TAG only produces a small amount at a time. The Skeletons aren't even listed as Special Editions, yet my Boutique says they are limited in quantities the same way the Dark Lord is. I feel TAG is simply gauging the market and releasing them initially in smaller numbers, which gives a sense of exclusiveness.

You might've had to wait 9 months for a DL on the TH website. But the Boutiques have had them in & out from time to time, I've been offered one 4 times now since the DL's release from various Boutiques.

I think they make just enough to get people to pay the asking price though.
And yes, I agree this is exactly what they're doing.

It was supposedly limited to so many produced each year though good luck verifying that one way or another. It's certainly available now, I know of 2 boutiques that have it in stock..

These skeletons were supposed to be limited to 500pcs, but that changed. Same with the Monza that was supposed to be limited to 250pcs. I don't really understand why they've moved away from the limited edition model, seemed to work really well up til the panda, oddly enough...

The Dark Lord is a Special Edition not a Limited Edition. Some Boutiques will say they are limited in the sense that TAG only produces a small amount at a time. The Skeletons aren't even listed as Special Editions, yet my Boutique says they are limited in quantities the same way the Dark Lord is. I feel TAG is simply gauging the market and releasing them initially in smaller numbers, which gives a sense of exclusiveness.

You might've had to wait 9 months for a DL on the TH website. But the Boutiques have had them in & out from time to time, I've been offered one 4 times now since the DL's release from various Boutiques.

That makes sense -- thank you for the explanation.

These skeletons were supposed to be limited to 500pcs, but that changed. Same with the Monza that was supposed to be limited to 250pcs. I don't really understand why they've moved away from the limited edition model, seemed to work really well up til the panda, oddly enough...

I think they are trying a different business model on some of these. With the Dark Lord, I think they realized they could sell more without having to artificially limit themselves to a set number. I think they are hoping for the same with the skeletons. But, as far as I can tell right now, people aren't as excited about them as they were/are about the DL.

Still, if they don't force themselves to commit to a particular number, they can stop production if people just aren't buying them (so they don't end up with lots of boutiques trying to unload them), or they can keep going past 500 if there are more people out there willing to spend the money.

When I looked yesterday the TH a website said “join the wait list” for the DL , so I did :)

That makes sense -- thank you for the explanation.

I think they are trying a different business model on some of these. With the Dark Lord, I think they realized they could sell more without having to artificially limit themselves to a set number. I think they are hoping for the same with the skeletons. But, as far as I can tell right now, people aren't as excited about them as they were/are about the DL.

Still, if they don't force themselves to commit to a particular number, they can stop production if people just aren't buying them (so they don't end up with lots of boutiques trying to unload them), or they can keep going past 500 if there are more people out there willing to spend the money.

That's true, although you lose the FOMO element. With the purple and green Monacos you had about a week at best and they were gone Plus they still have to make in batches to keep costs down ...

Has anyone seen a Monza skeleton recently by the way? It seems to have come and gone as if it was a limited edition..

...our Japanese friends were already selling the Skeletons at a 20% discount on C24 on the day of the launch.

The price listed on C24 (£8,134) is the same as TH Japan's list price of ¥ 1,413,500.00 (inclusive Japan's version of VAT which is 10%, compared to 20% in the UK).

Has anyone seen a Monza skeleton recently by the way? It seems to have come and gone as if it was a limited edition..

Not on general display, but I did try it on a couple of times, last time was at the re-opening of the flagship store in London last month. It's funny that you mentioned it because I've been thinking about that watch again since I bought the turquoise Monaco. Upon trying the Monza I remember saying that I thought the colourway was too playful and it didn't have a strong enough link back to it's heritage (i.e. Ferrari). I realise now what a hypocrite I am, because the same could be said about the turquoise Monaco! I'm fortunate enough to have other Monacos in my collection that scratch the heritage itch, and I don't have a Monza (but that could have been remedied subsequently). But really I blame the wife, she didn't like the blue on the Monza, but she loves the turquoise on the Monaco. It does however make me wish that TH had launched this range of Monaco watches with a flyback complication to really differentiate from their other offerings.

PXL_20230311_114732116.jpg
Edited:

The price listed on C24 (£8,134) is the same as TH Japan's list price of ¥ 1,413,500.00 (inclusive Japan's version of VAT which is 10%, compared to 20% in the UK).
True, it could be that the Japanese are selling the watch ex-VAT which is meant for international shipping only (I've seen a few such ads). But the point still remains that the watch is (a) available, and (b) cheaper than retail in your country. Hence flipping it is not an option.

Not on general display, but I did try it on when it launched and again at the re-opening of the flagship store in London last month. It's funny that you mentioned it because I've been thinking about that watch again since I bought the turquoise Monaco. Upon trying the Monza I remember saying that I thought the colourway was too playful and it didn't have a strong enough link back to it's heritage (i.e. Ferrari). I realise now what a hypocrite I am, because the same could be said about the turquoise Monaco! I'm fortunate enough to have other Monacos in my collection that scratch the heritage itch, and I don't have a Monza (but that could have been remedied subsequently). But really I blame the wife, she didn't like the blue on the Monza, but she loves the turquoise on the Monaco. It does however make me wish that TH had launched this range of Monaco watches with a flyback complication to really differentiate from their other offerings.

PXL_20230311_114732116.jpg

Well they could have, but it would have been an extra £2000 (probably)... :whistling:

It would be safe to say that the CR2080 40th anniversary Monza is considered the best by pretty much everyone here. Not sure if the Carbon Monza would even be considered 2nd best or not

For sure, but the skeleton isn't really aimed at the Monza crowd is it? It seems to me that like most of the watch industry TAG can't release a new watch with a new name so if they want to make more skeleton watches they have to use the 'existing' case shapes, and even if people aren't really interested in the history, it gives it more gravitas to be able to point to the history of the watch as a selling point.

True, it could be that the Japanese are selling the watch ex-VAT which is meant for international shipping only (I've seen a few such ads). But the point still remains that the watch is (a) available, and (b) cheaper than retail in your country. Hence flipping it is not an option.
I'm not a proponent of flipping, and I do agree with your general point, but claiming that this watch is cheaper on C24 is not true after further investigation. So apologies in advance for this niggling point. There's 1 silver/black and 1 turquoise on C24, both from the same dealer. Looking at the turquoise:
¥1,285,000 from TH website excl. VAT (¥1,413,500 incl. 10% VAT)
¥1,380,000 from C24 dealer excl. VAT (¥1,581,000 incl. 10% VAT for Japanese residents), so the seller is making a profit whoever they sell it to.
¥1,693,260 from C24 dealer incl. 20% VAT (¥276,000) and import duties (¥37,260) if importing into the UK.
When you also add shipping/etc. it's going to end up costing a bit more than buying it from retail in the UK. What it it does highlight is that TH do sell their watches cheaper in Japan then they do in the West which is great if you live in Japan or are a smuggler, but not so great for the rest of us.
Edited:

It would be safe to say that the CR2080 40th anniversary Monza is considered the best by pretty much everyone here. Not sure if the Carbon Monza would even be considered 2nd best or not
Nearly bought it a few months ago, TH had one of the last of these as NOS. It is a stunner, but having just bought the Dark Lord which has sort of a similar colourway I decided against it (more fool me!).

When I looked yesterday the TH a website said “join the wait list” for the DL , so I did :)

If you're actually looking for one, there's been one sitting in the display in the NY 5th Ave Boutique for a while.

If you're actually looking for one, there's been one sitting in the display in the NY 5th Ave Boutique for a while.
Unfortunately it’s several thousand miles away from me ☹️.

Unfortunately it’s several thousand miles away from me ☹️.
Where are you based? London Oxford Street store had one on display the other day, despite the ecommerce site saying "join the waiting list". It might be worth contacting your TH store directly, because it might be that retail and ecommerce have seperate inventories.
Edited: