Forums Latest Members

2022 TAG Heuer Aquaracer GMT WBP2010.BA0632

1. Chrisred71

Chrisred71 Jul 26, 2023

So what ? You think the Aquaracer qualify as an homage because of colors alone ?

2. stevec14

stevec14 Jul 26, 2023

Which bit of leave it and move on do you not understand?

you seem desperate for an argument over a year old post.

give it up….

3. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 26, 2023

Chris, I agree with you, BUT do you seriously think TAG would have made a blue/red bezel if Rolex hadn't done it first?

VirgileF likes this.
  4. Chrisred71

Chrisred71 Jul 26, 2023

Because if you do think that then every watch on the market with pepsi/batman bezels are full blown homages.

5. Chrisred71

Chrisred71 Jul 26, 2023

Sure, they wouldn't have, and the blue/white is much more genuine in that regard. But still, picking same colors don't qualify for the homage moniker in my book. Let's leave it at that yeah.

Aquagraph likes this.
  6. imagwai

imagwai Jul 26, 2023

Let's not pretend that TAG didn't choose to release it in those colours because they were similar to the Rolex or that some people didn't buy it for the same reason.

I wouldn't call it a full-blown homage and certainly isn't a copy, but the comparison with the Rolex isn't a stretch either. The watch world is full of brands jumping on band wagons and copying each other's colours and designs. Lots of other brands have used those colours too, including Timex. Those that use that colour scheme right now all pay "homage" in some varying degree to the Rolex. Rolex has produced pieces that take design elements from other brands over the years too.

thingziliketoo, stevec14 and dtf like this.
  7. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 26, 2023

Yeah, but Timex did it in the 1970s so somehow that makes it okay.... :rolleyes:

8. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jul 26, 2023

To be fair, most divers I've considered around 100-200 dollares have ceramic bezels :cool: You'll find a splendid quality for the money Pagani, Addiesdive etc on Amazon, with ceramic bezel inserts, for around 150. You can buy ceramic bezel inserts in all kinds of colours for around 50 dollares to use for Seiko mods. Since ceramic bezel inserts are so insanely cheap, I wonder if it was a matter of cutting cost for TAG. Personally I think the aluminium insert looks hundred times better for a pepsi so I appreciate this choice on the old Aquaracer.

thingziliketoo and dtf like this.
  9. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jun 27, 2024

Oh here we go, I remember this thread... wonder how ChrisRed feels about the spriteracer?

Chrisred71, bpsmith and Jim Dollares like this.
  10. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jun 27, 2024

Oh I just remembered ChrisRed is the guy with the fake Formula 1

bpsmith likes this.
  11. Chrisred71

Chrisred71 Jun 27, 2024

The Spriteracer ?? I understand you mean this ?

1000009440.png

Yeah this is all settled, thankfully. But now I'm even afraid of buying an SKX from eBay.

12. Chrisred71

Chrisred71 Jun 27, 2024

I honestly prefer the previous Aquaracer GMT. Sadly it didn't stayed long in the catalog, not even 3 years I believe. I don't know what nickname it had but I'll go with "MC12", a noughties supercar it shares its colors with. I think the colorway was very original, a far cry from the Pepsi & Batman previously discussed here. And a CERAMIC bezel at last.

1000009443.png

Car for reference.

Edited Jun 27, 2024
    BillC3 likes this.
  13. Chrisred71

Chrisred71 Jun 27, 2024

Regarding our friend the Spriteracer, I fully embrace the use of a manufacture caliber. Btw is it true GMT or not ??

But the dial, I just can't. Not only this one but ALL the dials of this new manufacture Aquaracer collection. Something's broken. It doesn't looks like the sea, more like some bed sheets, or that one shirt we don't iron any near enough. No matter how hard I squint I can't see the ocean, even on the blue dial. I also regret the omission of a transparent caseback, which they once did with the Aquaracer 500M.

1000009446.png

The resemblance is uncanny, isn't it ??

1000009453.png

Some dials to sleep on !

I do love some good bed sheets but having some on the dial of a dive watch does nothing for me. Hopefully the arrival of this new COSC collection can only brings the prices of the sellita watches down, making the "MC12" GMT more attainable than ever. I'll sleep on that.

Edited Jun 27, 2024
    dtf, BillC3 and Aquagraph like this.
  14. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jun 27, 2024

Rob, is that you? :unsure:

dtf likes this.
  15. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jun 27, 2024

Oh that made me chuckle.... bedsheet dial - brilliant. And I totally agree, doesn't look like waves at all.

But Chris, remember when you said the Aquaracer Batman wasn't a homage to Rolex... and that just using the colours of a bezel don't mean jack? Are you also going to tell us that TAG Heuer didn't totally just steal the look of 2022s Rolex GMT.

[​IMG]

16. mattp

mattp Jun 27, 2024

17. mattp

mattp Jun 27, 2024

Muddy waters..

18. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Jun 27, 2024

as I mentioned before the green one is actually Rolex store background (perhaps privately to some members in here)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. dtf

dtf Jun 28, 2024

I can’t unsee that

Gene242, BillC3 and Chrisred71 like this.
  20. Chrisred71

Chrisred71 Jun 28, 2024

I do agree that the "Sprite" bezel of the Spriteracer was taken straight from the recent GMT release from the crown.

I will even add that this new Aquaracer GMT release is a step back in terms of originality regarding colors (one being sprite, other being batman, both being from Rolex).

The previous GMT, the "MC12" white & blue WBP2010.BA0632 was much more original in that regard.

I do remember saying that simply using colors doesn't put a watch in the homage pit straight away. If enough details are different, in my book, then it's no homage. Paint a Corvette C8 in Rosso Corsa and the clueless might believe it's a Ferrari but the connaisseur will not.

Regarding the previous gen Aquaracer GMTs with aluminum bezel I stand by what I said. So much was different on both watches that despite leaning on some successful & iconics bezels colors, they still were different enough to not be headed to the homage pit.

Regarding the Spriteracer, this is a bit different. On the previous GMTs, the aluminum bezels that I hated so much kinda saved the day, because if the colors were the same as Rolex the texture/material wasn't so it still looked different.

But now that both watches shares colors and materials :

1000009471.png

Yep. This new Spriteracer is definitely going straight to the homage pit. A slightly different shade of green won't save the day. And don't forget the chef's kiss, as @OttoWilliam pointed out :

1000009464.png

Can't believe no one at R&D pointed that one out.

Edited Jun 28, 2024
    dtf likes this.